Michelle Smith: McCoughtry not happy with Maya | The Boneyard

Michelle Smith: McCoughtry not happy with Maya

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"But she clearly took issue with what she felt was excessively physical play by the Lynx and, in particular, Maya Moore.

"The whole pulling me down on the fast break, all that crap, it's not needed," McCoughtry said. "I really hurt my elbow when Maya pulled me down on that play. I feel like it wasn't needed. We don't play that way. We are going to play hard and we are going to play scrappy, but we aren't going to pull you down and hurt you. I just felt like I deserve a little more respect than that." McCoughtry's right elbow was wrapped in ice.

Moore had no comment on McCoughtry's comments outside of the Minnesota locker room."

LINK

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Maya obviously wasn't trying to 'take her down' or anything like that. Monica Wright was in on that play and Angel had already lost her balance when Maya was trying to grab her from behind.

AM took a tumble and as a competitor I'm not surprised she took a little umbrage, considering the result was a fall to the floor and a sore elbow.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Angel might still be a little pissed about Maya's block earlier in the game.

As talented as McCoughtry is, she doesn't play team basketball. You can tell she wants to win the game on a single play.

Her 3-point shooting and outside shooting in general needs work, yet she settles for bad shot after bad shot. And you can see every single thing she's thinking on her face.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm not saying this as a snipe against Angel. But I watched the first game and saw all the facial expressions and incredulity over the no calls she felt she deserved in that game. I think in a way she feels she's an elite player in the league (which she is) and therefore deserves special foul treatment (which she does not).

I've watched 2 BE tournaments and was shocked at the amount of physical play directed at Stef that she had to endure. I can't believe her arms, neck, and torso aren't completely covered in bruises as a result. So to Angel I'd simply echo Siemone's comments - "then don't play in the finals!"

To be fair, tho, a lot of folks thought the officiating was horrible in the 2nd game. But you gotta adjust.

D

dakotaboy

McCoughtry took Whalen out in the 3rd quarter going for a rebound... why didn't she mention that... :)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I actually like the Dream, if that statement was intended for me. I love Tiff, and I liked Angel a lot more after the 2012 Olympics. But she acts like Diana after every call, and she doesn't have near the resume that Dee has. (I don't think Dee should act like that either)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Angel's starting to lose control again. In college, Jeff Walz sat her down to watch tape of herself, her reactions and demeanor on court. According to what I read it was an eye opener for her, and she changed her behavior. Seems she is sliding again and maybe a date with some game tape would be beneficial....just saying

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
coaches can't seem to reel her in... except Geno, we all know he's not gonna allow her BS

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
coaches can't seem to reel her in... except Geno, we all know he's not gonna allow her BS
Well he is in a unique situation too. NT head coach. Doesn't need her (has plenty of other talent). And there are plenty of other top talent players there. She is no longer the star when she's on the NT. Not even a starter, nor a captain. They will also help keep her in reeled in.

Reaction Score
I would LOVE to have been a fly on the wall when our sweet, church going Maya commented INSIDE the locker room:eek:

"
Moore had no comment on McCoughtry's comments outside of the Minnesota locker room."

LINK

Reaction Score
That play doesn't explain a 25 point loss...2 consecutive blow outs! Geez.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought Maya was unusually demonstrative after her block of Angel's shot. But it was directed at the home crowd, not at Angel.

The "clear path" call on Maya's foul was incorrect in my view. Monica was between her and the basket when Maya committed the foul. Maya was going for the ball, but across Angel's body, so she knew a foul was likely. I did not see that as dirty or particularly rough.

I thought Angel's foul on Whalen's rebound was unnecessary. Angel was late and had no shot at the ball, so she hammered Lindsay.

I agree that Angel needs to dial it back and play team ball. The exposure she's getting is not good. As talented as she is, her behavior and attitude may cost her a Team USA slot.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Complaining after being pulled down by a competitor IS whining, IMO. It's basketball...get back up and shut up.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well he is in a unique situation too. NT head coach. Doesn't need her (has plenty of other talent). And there are plenty of other top talent players there. She is no longer the star when she's on the NT. Not even a starter, nor a captain. They will also help keep her in reeled in.

Yet a very good performer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
McCoughtry took Whalen out in the 3rd quarter going for a rebound... why didn't she mention that... :)

Yeah, Angel was so upset she took it out on a smaller player. Lame.

U

UCONNfan1

Yet a very good performer.
True. She had some great games in the Olympics and even off the bench was a scoring spark and a defensive menace. But I believe people are more discussing her attitude and pouting, overt frustration, and basically her on court demeanor in the WNBA. That will not fly on the US National team - any more than Diana's plethora of T's this season and her issues with the WNBA refs.

Reaction Score
"But she clearly took issue with what she felt was excessively physical play by the Lynx and, in particular, Maya Moore.

"The whole pulling me down on the fast break, all that crap, it's not needed," McCoughtry said. "I really hurt my elbow when Maya pulled me down on that play. I feel like it wasn't needed. We don't play that way. We are going to play hard and we are going to play scrappy, but we aren't going to pull you down and hurt you. I just felt like I deserve a little more respect than that." McCoughtry's right elbow was wrapped in ice.

LINK

Reaction Score
Of course McCoughtry was upset. Maya was a +30 the last game. Whatever she was doing was pretty effective!

Reaction Score
animated-screaming-baby-crying.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
great points

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Interesting, now, to have a reflection on the battle between Marynell and Angel...

HGN

Reaction Score
I would LOVE to have been a fly on the wall when our sweet, church going Maya commented INSIDE the locker room:eek:
I am sure Maya had a few choice words for her....But Maya can go to Confession later. There is still one more win the Lynx have to get. Then Maya can go to Confession and ask for forgiveness for those choice words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom