Miami radio saying UConn to B1G | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Miami radio saying UConn to B1G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
You keep saying it "almost" happened. Exactly how did it "almost happen." The only thing we know (and we don't even really know this but it seems a safe bet) is the Big Ten looked at us when they were looking at all the possibilities.

You're right, we don't KNOW for sure until all involved parties are lined up at the podium of their announcing press conferences. Let me rephrase: UConn is on the B1G's radar and have been studied as recent and as publicly as 2010. I'm sure they have looked at/studied many universities but I do believe a UConn/B1G partnership benefits both parties, especially if they are adding RU as reported.

Dooley

Reaction Score
What I'm saying to you is that the state of Connecticut will not have to pay a dime, even if it is hit with a 50 million dollar exit fee. This is something like how it would work (and how it will work for Maryland as well):

Year 1 of B1G: UConn gets 5 million in revenue instead of 24 million, 19 to the repayment of the B1G for covering the ACC buyout (I haven't found the link yet)
Year 2 of B1G: UConn gets 7 million in revenue instead of 24 million, 17 million to the repayment
Year 3 of B1G: UConn gets 10 million in revenue instead of 24 million, 14 million to the repayment
Year 4 of B1G: UConn has fulfilled its repayment to the B1G of the ACC, receives full 24 million dollar amount.

This is already being discussed for Maryland, because if you think there are hard times for money for UConn, Maryland is in the crapper (they've already scrapped multiple athletic programs)...

Oh okay...if something like this is an option, I'll pull off my "taxpayer pay two exit fees" worry. If this is the case, then sure, dance with the ACC but make it perfectly obvious to the B1G that we have a wandering eye.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Oh okay...if something like this is an option, I'll pull off my "taxpayer pay two exit fees" worry. If this is the case, then sure, dance with the ACC but make it perfectly obvious to the B1G that we have a wandering eye.

If I may be so bold, I think that the BigTen and the SEC realize that everyone else in the country has wandering eyes and would likely jump at any offer to join either of those two conferences. They are indeed the kings of money and of access in this new world of college sports...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If I may be so bold, I think that the BigTen and the SEC realize that everyone else in the country has wandering eyes and would likely jump at any offer to join either of those two conferences. They are indeed the kings of money and of access in this new world of college sports...

What happens when they bored and start offering each other? Ohio State to the SEC!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What happens when they bored and start offering each other? Ohio State to the SEC!

Why would Ohio State do that? They enjoy being undefeated...:confused:

Dooley

Reaction Score

You don't need to be so bold! I'd be willing to wager that any team from the ACC or Big East and most of the B12 would join the B1G or SEC if invited. One of the things that make poaching the Big East so popular is the "low" exit fee cost for easier (and almost immediate) addition to the scheduling. That might be enough to tip the scales in UConn's favor if it's a close call between us and somebody else from the ACC.

Reaction Score
Yes on B1G, not necessarily the SEC. The SEC is a crappy conference, yes there are 3-5 good fball teams every year, 2 hoops and the women are gorgeous, but the academics are a huge liability. Schools like OSU, Mich, ND, Texas, USC, PSU, Illinois wouldn't in a million years join the SEC because of a handful of football Saturdays every year.

You don't need to be so bold! I'd be willing to wager that any team from the ACC or Big East and most of the B12 would join the B1G or SEC if invited. One of the things that make poaching the Big East so popular is the "low" exit fee cost for easier (and almost immediate) addition to the scheduling. That might be enough to tip the scales in UConn's favor if it's a close call between us and somebody else from the ACC.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yes on B1G, not necessarily the SEC. The SEC is a crappy conference, yes there are 3-5 good fball teams every year, 2 hoops and the women are gorgeous, but the academics are a huge liability. Schools like OSU, Mich, ND, Texas, USC, PSU, Illinois wouldn't in a million years join the SEC because of a handful of football Saturdays every year.

Please everyone get a grip on the relative importance of the academics. If it was all about the academics, then the ACC would have more power now than the Big12. They don't. Money is and has always been the primary driver of this whole thing.

Also, the bottom 4 or 5 teams of the SEC might be mediocre, but it is difficult to say a conference only has 3-5 good teams when prior to today, they had the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, and 8th ranked teams in the country. Today, a couple rose a little and a couple fell a little, but they added a 7th team to the rankings (Miss St.). Umm.....they're really good....

EDIT: Sorry, it was 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9: http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/week/12

Reaction Score
I live in Miami. I have heard no mention at all on WQAM.

I think I was duped. I did not hear it myself. I was out last night and was told they said this on WQAM. I totally believed it. Pretty sure guy was bs'ing me now because I have been trying to verify with no luck. Shouldn't have mentioned it here. Lesson learned.

Reaction Score
I live in Miami. I have heard no mention at all on WQAM.

I think I was duped. I did not hear it myself. I was out last night and was told they said this on WQAM. I totally believed it. Pretty sure guy was bs'ing me now because I have been trying to verify with no luck. Shouldn't have mentioned it here. Lesson learned.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Hahaha. Only started a ten-page thread. You should just say you were posting under the influence like HFD (and me during games sometimes)...

Reaction Score
Hahaha. Only started a ten-page thread. You should just say you were posting under the influence like HFD (and me during games sometimes)...

It sucks eating crow but I can't find any evidence. Then again, if its true ill have to gloat.

Reaction Score
It sucks eating crow but I can't find any evidence. Then again, if its true ill have to gloat.
I couldn't find any evidence either last night. Thought you heard it yourself.

Reaction Score
well, this has been a wonderful use of time. the internet kind of sucks sometimes.

Reaction Score
Beyond comprehension that someone would imply that he heard it when he in fact didn't. Had you simply posted that a friend told you he heard it, we could have made a rational decision whether to play on this thread or not.

Reaction Score

Bro....... bro?

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
While I think it's perfectly feasible that UConn could/should be talking to the B1G through back-channels right now, i have a hard time believing we'd be as realistic of a shot as MD or RU until our stadium is filled and plans were going forward to expand to the size of their stadiua (at least 50k). They miiiight give us a little leeway because of basketball but I don't think it would be much.

Now as to whether to stay in the NNBE while waiting on the B1G, this should be done ONLY if Herbst can get some assurances that Uconn will definitely be invited in ~5 years if we do X, Y and Z in terms of the stadium or whatever.

Which assurances can't and wont be given. If the ACC invites, accept. To reject would be delusional.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

Well at least now we can hopefully dispense with the "lets reject the ACC if they offer, because the B1G might want us in 5 years" delusion.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, when I said "hold out", I meant hold out for NOW. Like this month or next few months.

Reaction Score
This was a unique situation. A guy who I have talked sports with on a few occasions brought it up on a chance meeting last night. He said he had just heard it in the car on the way out. He was completely casual and convincing. I asked where he heard it and he told me. I am still not thoroughly convinced he didn't hear it, I just can't verify it. Nonetheless, it really makes no difference if I heard it or not. If I had heard it, I would still be a guy on the Internet telling you something that I may or not have heard and even if I did hear it, it wasn't likely to be true anyway.

I suspect he heard a discussion about UConn moving to the ACC if MD left for the B10 and didn't get the story right.

Reaction Score
This was a unique situation. A guy who I have talked sports with on a few occasions brought it up on a chance meeting last night. He said he had just heard it in the car on the way out. He was completely casual and convincing. I asked where he heard it and he told me. I am still not thoroughly convinced he didn't hear it, I just can't verify it. Nonetheless, it really makes no difference if I heard it or not. If I had heard it, I would still be a guy on the Internet telling you something that I may or not have heard and even if I did hear it, it wasn't likely to be true anyway.

I suspect he heard a discussion about UConn moving to the ACC if MD left for the B10 and didn't get the story right.

Ummm, then why didn't you post something like this when you started this thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom