Miami Nerd Preview Player Deep Dive | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Miami Nerd Preview Player Deep Dive

Reaction Score
What’s everyone’s guess as to the defensive matchups for UConn? Is Jackson on Wong or Poplar?

Oh and @barrister…
Star Wars Doom GIF
Put Jackson on Wong unless and until Pack or Miller just start going nuts.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If it’s about rebounding it’s about Omier. He gets nearly a third of all their rebounds. Split at 30% of their defensive rebounds and 40% of their offensive rebounds. Here ally is a fantastic rebounder because he is quick to the ball and gets up. He is also strong enough to rip the ball away if the other team doesn’t have a firm grip on it. That said, he can go over the back and reach at times. As a rebounder he’s kind of like a center version of Jackson. Their other guys do box but not nearly as good as they should, usually. I do expect their focus to be better this game.

They usually get assists two ways both similar, one off the drive and pass (kick or dump off), or to the roll man on their high pick and roll. UConn will need to defend their man with little doubling/help. Also a concern is their quick outlet to attack the rim. Where UConn mixes transition threes in, Miami is almost all attack on the hoop on the break from what I’ve seen, no stats on that.
Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

Reaction Score
I think Miami, at some point will, press UConn (see Arkansas and Gonzaga second half, OK State etc). Full court or 3/4, not sure. They have the guards to do it and UConn has been inconsistent handling the press. In that situation, there will be bumps, swipes, grabs etc that only a tightly officiated game can neutralize. UConn must play their game and at a controlled tempo, not get sped up.
From my memory, I think the only time they really brought this out in the tournament was at the end of the game when they were down against Drake and it was highly effective, which is partly to do with their athleticism and partly the doing of Drake just pooping the bed. They much more commonly bring out the half-court trap, which has also been pretty effective, though we have the biggest combination of size and athleticism they've seen, which could make that more difficult.

Reaction Score
Miami is the free team on Evan Miya right now. The Key Metrics Report... is a disaster for them. Lmao.
key-metrics.png

• We've only given up >=14 assists in 5/37 games.
  • We've only been < 25.7 oreb% in 6/37 games.
  • We allow the 12th lowest opp 3-point attempt rate out of 363 teams.
  • We allow our opponents to only average 41.6% assist rate against us (17th/363).
This is computer generated keys for them to succeed in general over the season, not specific to our matchup. But literally every key for them is one of our absolute strengths. Big yikes for them.

But we're still doomed.
Dribble penetration is their strength and our biggest defensive weakness

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
What about this for an analysis: if we play the same way we did last weekend, we will win by 20. The way we played, we would be most national teams and some NBA teams on a given night. I want to see Miami's big at 6'7" dominate the game over Sanogo/Clingan/Karaban. If he does, God bless him. I just dont see it. And their guards? Not one of them can shoot like Hawkins. He literally runs like 'Hays' and hits like hits like 'Mays'. Stop it. Just stop it. This is over.

Either troll is obvious or you've never watched an NBA game before.

Reaction Score
Perimeter defense will be key for a UConn victory. If they let the Miami guards penetrate and either dish, shoot, or kickout for a 3, UConn can be on their heels all game. Uconn needs to dictate how this game is played.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dribble penetration is their strength and our biggest defensive weakness

It's not a weakness. UConn schemed to take away dribble oenetration against Arkansas and it worked great.

Normal UConn default D is defend the 3 at all costs and protect the rim. The okayers showed the have the defensive skill to stop dribble drive when that is a desirable outcome from the game plan.

Reaction Score
It's not a weakness. UConn schemed to take away dribble oenetration against Arkansas and it worked great.

Normal UConn default D is defend the 3 at all costs and protect the rim. The okayers showed the have the defensive skill to stop dribble drive when that is a desirable outcome from the game plan.
It is a lot of scheme but I'm also not sure Arkansas is the best example. They just didn't have to respect Arkansas' shooting at all and could afford to sag way off. Can't do that against most teams.

Reaction Score
It is a lot of scheme but I'm also not sure Arkansas is the best example. They just didn't have to respect Arkansas' shooting at all and could afford to sag way off. Can't do that against most teams.
This is going to be a difference against Miami.

Against Arkansas, we could sell out to defend the paint because they can't shoot.

If we're packing the paint against Miami, they'll shoot over us. We need a balanced defensive approach and everyone is going to have to be locked in on 1-on-1 on-ball D.

Reaction Score
Said it before they avoid fouls like the plague the first 30 minutes of each game in the tournament so far. Some teams don’t foul because they play good defense Miami doesn’t foul because they don’t challenge shots much. They gave up a ton of layups to Texas but do try to force people to midrange with their quickness. They just aren’t always good at doing it. They do tend to ball watch to play passing lanes and dig on drives/post ups (or did in past games). They turn it up in the last ten minutes and get much more handsy.

They will face some interesting challenges as I am nearly 100% positive they have never faced a team that runs so much different off ball stuff. While UConn may not have faced such a good one-on-one team who can find the open man if you help/double. They play a very good brand of street ball on offense.

Larranaga has been quoted as saying he doesn’t want his guys in foul trouble as he felt that’s what cost them last year.
This 100% on the money. Miami doesn't foul because they don't challenge many shots within the first 30 minutes. By doing this, that leaves them 10 minutes of game time to play defense more aggressively as they are not near getting their opposition into the bonus and most, if not all of their players, are not in foul trouble.

caw

Reaction Score
Put Jackson on Wong unless and until Pack or Miller just start going nuts.

I am really interested in what Hurley does. Just like Miami doesn't want fouls on key players, UConn doesn't want fouls on Jackson. At the same time he is UConn's best defender.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It worked well because Arkansas cant shoot.

We cant collapse the lane like that against Miami. They can shoot.

Attachments

• Zuc.gif
    Zuc.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 79

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I think Miami, at some point will, press UConn (see Arkansas and Gonzaga second half, OK State etc). Full court or 3/4, not sure. They have the guards to do it and UConn has been inconsistent handling the press. In that situation, there will be bumps, swipes, grabs etc that only a tightly officiated game can neutralize. UConn must play their game and at a controlled tempo, not get sped up.
Good thoughts. This may be a likely scenario. The victory over Providence in the BE quarterfinal comes to mind, where we were up 26 and then began to crumble under the Friars' pressure but were able to hold it together in the final minutes. That wasn't pretty, but good teams have to be able handle that kind of pressure without getting rattled. I'd like to think the Huskies are tougher and more seasoned- even compared to a few weeks ago, to weather a similar storm if it comes. It will be interesting to see how the game is officiated and whether or not there will be multiple lead changes and momentum swings. I also wonder how much the crowd will be a factor in such a large venue on a neutral site. There are many questions that won't be answered until tomorrow night.

Reaction Score
Uhhh, no. The end of the bench players on the worst NBA team would spank UConn. Any G League team beats UConn as well. The difference between a great college team and a team of grown men that were the best of the best in college and have lived and breathed basketball for many years after college is massive.
Yep everyone forgets that not only is every NBA roster filled with guys who were stars in college, but they also have a lot more basketball experience. Most guys continue to improve until at least their mid to late 20's. Just once I wish the NCAA champ would actually play the worst team in the NBA and after they got clobbered, everyone would stop talking like this and clinging to this silly illusion.

Reaction Score
Good thoughts. This may be a likely scenario. The victory over Providence in the BE quarterfinal comes to mind, where we were up 26 and then began to crumble under the Friars' pressure but were able to hold it together in the final minutes. That wasn't pretty, but good teams have to be able handle that kind of pressure without getting rattled. I'd like to think the Huskies are tougher and more seasoned- even compared to a few weeks ago, to weather a similar storm if it comes. It will be interesting to see how the game is officiated and whether or not there will be multiple lead changes and momentum swings. I also wonder how much the crowd will be a factor in such a large venue on a neutral site. There are many questions that won't be answered until tomorrow night.
"neutral site," not so much.

It's not like playing Texas, but I expect everyone there who isn't a UConn fan to be rooting for "anyone but UConn."

Reaction Score
Okay actually for the fun of it and since I have absolutely no life, I decided to look closer at this. Could UConn, with the way they've been playing, beat some NBA teams on some nights?

The worst team in the NBA is the Pistons. They are a dismal 16-60. They are tanking. They would rather win the Wembayana sweepstakes than games right now, I'm sure. Their roster is also depleted. Cade Cunningham is out for the year. Bojan Bogdanovich, their leading scorer, is out with an Achilles. They are really, really bad.

But let's look at what they still have. They have Marvin Bagley and Jordan Ivey in their starting lineup. Okay right away, we might have a problem. They were both 1st team All Americans in college. And with a couple years of added NBA experience, they are no doubt better now than they were then.

Also starting is James Wiseman: the top recruit in the country in 2019. Had he not been embroiled in a recruiting scandal at Memphis, there's a very good chance he would have been a 1st team All American too. The second overall pick in the draft. A 7 footer.....he would be a lot for Sanogo and Clingan to handle.....

Speaking of Memphis bigs, more size coming off the bench in Jalen Duran. All 6'11" of him. Averaging 9 and 9.

2020 7th overall pick Killian Hayes is starting at point guard . A 6'5"er averaging 10 points and 6 assists.

31 year old Corey Joseph......not sure the Huskies have what it takes to deal with the experience of a guy whose been in the league for 11 years.

So still lots of talent. Lots more experience. The 6'10" Bagley, the 7 foot Wiseman, the 6'11" Duran....... We're a "big" team, but pretty sure we would get pushed around.

So yeah the Pistons are spectacularly, breathtakingly bad for an NBA team. But pretty sure they would dispatch with UConn or any other college team with little trouble.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Okay actually for the fun of it and since I have absolutely no life, I decided to look closer at this. Could UConn, with the way they've been playing, beat some NBA teams on some nights?

The worst team in the NBA is the Pistons. They are a dismal 16-60. They are tanking. They would rather win the Wembayana sweepstakes than games right now, I'm sure. Their roster is also depleted. Cade Cunningham is out for the year. Bojan Bogdanovich, their leading scorer, is out with an Achilles. They are really, really bad.

But let's look at what they still have. They have Marvin Bagley and Jordan Ivey in their starting lineup. Okay right away, we might have a problem. They were both 1st team All Americans in college. And with a couple years of added NBA experience, they are no doubt better now than they were then.

Also starting is James Wiseman: the top recruit in the country in 2019. Had he not been embroiled in a recruiting scandal at Memphis, there's a very good chance he would have been a 1st team All American too. The second overall pick in the draft. A 7 footer.....he would be a lot for Sanogo and Clingan to handle.....

Speaking of Memphis bigs, more size coming off the bench in Jalen Duran. All 6'11" of him. Averaging 9 and 9.

2020 7th overall pick Killian Hayes is starting at point guard . A 6'5"er averaging 10 points and 6 assists.

31 year old Corey Joseph......not sure the Huskies have what it takes to deal with the experience of a guy whose been in the league for 11 years.

So yeah the Pistons are spectacularly, breathtakingly bad for an NBA team. But pretty sure they would dispatch with UConn or any other college team with little trouble.
Nice job of bringing things back to perspective

And by the way...

Nerd=2.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24