Mets 2020 thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Mets 2020 thread

Reaction Score
The big difference is Ramos can't block a beach ball and Realmuto is one of the 2 or 3 best defensive catchers in the league. Also a very good pitch framer which will help the pitching staff. But the contract does scare me, it's likely it becomes a bad one the last few years

I get where you're coming from on him. I think I'm just on the side of the fence that, in general, you can win with a couple "good" catchers and spend the money on other positions.

For instance, would all that extra money help Matz not give up HR's? Would it make Wacha or Porcello any better? I feel like it wouldn't. I'd rather have, like I said earlier, a guy like Springer who can impact the team in other ways? No real right answer. They need to have a really good offseason with player management, period.

Reaction Score
To me, three things need to be done with Cohen for the major league side of things.

1) Extend Conforto (to a lesser degree Thor as well, but if he doesn’t take a discount for the security of a long term deal coming off TJ I’m willing to let him go to FA).

2) Realmuto, shouldn’t even be a debate.

3) Bring in 2 pitchers - would love Bauer but not sure how his personality would work in NY, but on a one year deal I’m all for it (he apparently just wants to sign one year deals for big money). If not, I wouldn’t mind Stroman and someone else on that level. Get two number 3 types. Also beef up the pen, need at least 2 more arms there and I’d buy out Familia. Or sell high in Diaz as well. Still not trusting him in a big spot. If not, bring in a closer and move Diaz to the 8th.

It seems like a lot - however, all doable. Besides that, clear out the glut. Too many guys on this team that play the same position. Cano/McNeil, McNeil/Davis, Smith/Alonso, Gimenez/Rosario. Would hate to lose any of these guys (minus Cano which won’t happen), and hoping the DH stays which will make it easier to figure out, but at some point you have to give something up to fill a hole.

Mainly, I want Cohen to spend the $ wisely - beef up the analytical dept, the international scouts, invest in the minor league development. Dodgers are a good model in this way. Get to the point where you have a great farm system and ability to trade for a star and extend him (like how Dodgers did that with Betts).

Reaction Score
That's a step further than I was even thinking but I love the Conforto idea. He had a fantastic season, lock him long term NOW.

Reaction Score
Could the Cano thing have worked out any better? Wow. 24m off the books and I wonder if they can/will try to void the rest. Move McNeil back to 2nd.

Sure, maybe it'll sting more when Kelenic is hitting lasers all over the field in a few years....but I trust in Uncle Steve.

Reaction Score
I got a handful of texts and messages saying HA HA! ...and seriously I agree with the above post, I think this was best case scenario. Sure he hit the hell out of the ball last year (now we know why) and he had 2B and a DH spot tied up, now this opens up the diamond a little bit.

Reading the tea leaves, this made me think of the Mets signing of Jose Peraza two weeks ago.. I still think best case scenario is trading for Lindor and giving up Nimmo, McNeil, and prospects for him...?

In that case... Assuming Rosario isn't in the deal, he becomes the new CF? JD Davis entrenched at 3B? Then the Mets chase after Ozuna to play LF or that is where Dom Smith slots in?

Regardless of a Lindor trade, this Cano news is good for us. Despite the fact that Kelenic is probably going to be Rookie of the Year next year.

Reaction Score
Mets gonna Mets. Sounds like next season will look a lot like this one:

I think this is a good thing and a sign things are changing. Not gonna make a hire at president just for the sake of it. Keep the position open and hope Chernoff is open to making the move next year

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think this is a good thing and a sign things are changing. Not gonna make a hire at president just for the sake of it. Keep the position open and hope Chernoff is open to making the move next year
I don't disagree; the "Mets being Mets" part was referring to striking out for their top choices. But you're right, typically that would be followed by overspending for something else that falls far from the mark, so I hope they at least avoid that here.

Reaction Score
Saw a rumor this morning that the Reds may make Sonny Gray available via trade, would be an excellent option if we can't reel in Trevor Bauer in free agency.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom