Merrimack Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Merrimack Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The 32k was tickets sold/distributed. My thought was 25-26k at its peak.

Was thinking the same. About 25-28k tops. The only relatively bare bleacher sections were under the scoreboard and some of the upper deck corners. It was a decent crowd especially for an FCS opponent, but opening day crowds usually do well attendance-wise compared to the rest of the season.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Was thinking the same. About 25-28k tops. The only relatively bare bleacher sections were under the scoreboard and some of the upper deck corners. It was a decent crowd especially for an FCS opponent, but opening day crowds usually do well attendance-wise compared to the rest of the season.
It might have been 28k, but the parking situation and cone system makes it feel like 60k. I always say to my son that I have no idea what would happen if this crew had to deal with a sell out...

Reaction Score
Yeah, a win next week would be a gift, but I think we can beat FAU.
I certainly hope so. However, FAU only lost by the score of 16-10 Michigan State last week. Michigan State just won at Maryland 27-24, the same Maryland team that annihilated UConn a week ago. I know the sports math and the transitive property does not always work that way, but I am not going into any UConn game thinking they are better than their opponent.

Reaction Score
What I remember over the past dozen years are losses to Towson (Townson per P) & Holy Cross and escaping by the skin of our teeth against Yale, URI and I believe) Stony Brook. There were a few others that were a whole lot less comfortable than they should have been that are all blurred together in the ongoing nightmare that we have lived since the Fiesta Bowl.

Today was a serious breath of fresh air.
Oh I forgot about Yale in 2021 a few weeks after AD Benedict fired that football carcass of that snake oil salesman, Randy Edsall. Yale was on 25-yard TD pass away from winning that game. If they did, UConn would have been 0-12 that year.

Reaction Score
I certainly hope so. However, FAU only lost by the score of 16-10 Michigan State last week. Michigan State just won at Maryland 27-24, the same Maryland team that annihilated UConn a week ago. I know the sports math and the transitive property does not always work that way, but I am not going into any UConn game thinking they are better than their opponent.
I think UConn may have learned a lot today about themselves and if they play to their abilities, they have a chance. Just have to know what they can do, one play at a time. Come on let's go!

Reaction Score
It might have been 28k, but the parking situation and cone system makes it feel like 60k. I always say to my son that I have no idea what would happen if this crew had to deal with a sell out...
well, all I'd say is get there early and it won't be a problem... but seeing as I was either in school or in DC the entire time I've been associated with UConn I haven't had to deal with that too much

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
well, all I'd say is get there early and it won't be a problem... but seeing as I was either in school or in DC the entire time I've been associated with UConn I haven't had to deal with that too much
I got there more than an hour before game time. I didn't miss any of the game, but it was like a police drivers test taking place on the George Washington bridge. They severely overcomplicate the process...

Reaction Score
I don't think enough has been said about the defensive backs as it seems they are missing a number of DBs. Specifically, Rante Jones has missed a bunch of time due to penalties, Malik Dixon-Williams has been out due to injury, and we haven't seen Reggie Akles (New Mexico St. transfer) or Dean Engram (Wisconsin transfer).

Reaction Score
I got there more than an hour before game time. I didn't miss any of the game, but it was like a police drivers test taking place on the George Washington bridge. They severely overcomplicate the process...
Would agree always an adventure

Reaction Score
FAU lost to Army yesterday 24-7, giving up 405 yards rushing while managing only 42 yards on the ground themselves. Army (2-0) might be good this year, but it looks like FAU can be run against, and we look like we can run a bit.

Reaction Score
Anyone know the attendance number?
Officially, 32,351. Being there, it seemed to me the peak crowd was maybe 25,000 -27,000 during the second quarter. A lot of the blue seats stayed empty the whole game, which I hate, because it's visually more noticeable. The game was competitively over before halftime, so the crowd got thin during the second half, when UConn played backups and stopped running anything interesting on offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hopefully the B12 braintrust was impressed by our 63 to 17 pounding of Merrimack.
Let's ask Air Force if they think UConn embarrassed itself by beating up on a glorified high school team, or if Merrimack is a legitimate opponent. The Mountain West is probably the best non-P4 football conference, and their guys managed to beat Merrimack 21-6. We did what most FBS schools do when they have their [poop synonym] together - we scheduled our first home game against a weaker opponent, and handled them easily.

It sucked for us that our work-out-the-kinks game was at Maryland, which made us look worse than we probably are.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let's ask Air Force if they think UConn embarrassed itself by beating up on a glorified high school team, or if Merrimack is a legitimate opponent. The Mountain West is probably the best non-P4 football conference, and their guys managed to beat Merrimack 21-6. We did what most FBS schools do when they have their [poop synonym] together - we scheduled our first home game against a weaker opponent, and handled them easily.

Merrimack finished ahead of Sacred Heart last season.

Reaction Score
Super happy with everything that occurred yesterday. Was really pleasantly surprised by the crowd. With the weather forecast earlier in week and getting destroyed last week I was not optimistic. Thos is a good sign. Next home game a a night game and if we can show well at Duke it bodes well. W e need to play well next week.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Would agree always an adventure
Bad traffic lane markings coming in and no control at all after the game. From where we usually park, the first blue lot on the left coming up Silver Lane and right turn into the stadium, getting to the far left lane when you leave means crossing 3 lanes of heavy traffic with nobody stopping the on coming traffic to allow cars to turn out of the lot. Too few drivers willing to let people merge.

Best traffic control I ever experienced in a big venue was at Hollywood Bowl in LA where several lanes had to take turns with several cars going at a time on their lane’s turn. Took a little waiting but nobody cut anyone off or prevented easy merging. It isn’t that complicated to do smart traffic flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom