Merrimack A Decent Test | The Boneyard

Merrimack A Decent Test

Reaction Score
1. Street & Smith has Merrimack #14 in pre-season Division II rankings.
2. 19-12 last year, going to regional semi-finals of NCAA Div II tournament.
3. Returns four of five starters.
4. Led by 6-0 soph PG Juvares Hayes, pre-season All-America hon mention.
5. Hayes led all of Div II in total assists and APG last year. Had one game of 22 pts, 12 assists, 11 rebounds.
6. Leading scorer last year (18 ppg) 6-7 junior F Ryan Boulter.
7. Hayes and Boulter both three-point threats at 39% and 38% respectively.
8. Team has no listed center. Tallest returnee is Boulter at 6-7, a few 6-5's. One incoming frosh at 6-9.
9. PG Hayes top rebounder at 6.2 rpg last year. Boulter 4.6 rpg.

Hayes appears to be a bona-fide triple-threat. Boulter a sharpshooter. Team appears to have little inside presence. Not much length and no mid-sized banger.

This is a game where UConn's 3-pt defense will likely be tested, while Cobb, Carlton, Diarra will get a chance to operate inside.

For comparison, Southern beat this team 84-65 last year. UConn pummeled Southern in an exhibition 94-65. (But then UConn lost to Wagner in their next game.)

Reaction Score
Good. We need to be tested.

I would rather lose to this team than any team we face in the regular season. Doesn't matter if they are Division II. It's an exhibition. The guys need to be challenged in order to learn and grow as a team.

That said, I would love to blow 'em out and see a few Kwintin Williams dunks in garbage time.

Reaction Score
I'm going to this game but was thinking it was no test compared to PC. We sagged on a lot of 3's so I hope we clean that up. Really want to see Larrier assert himself because I think he is the key to our season besides Jalen who we know will perform.

Reaction Score
Doesn't the words "Merrimack A Decent Test" make you a bit sad. It's not exactly the Russian National Team.

it also is not the Baltimore AC Ballers ... or whatever.

Different times; and we are growing a Team - building a Program. I want to see a bunch of things happen before Oregon. Let's see.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Doesn't the words "Merrimack A Decent Test" make you a bit sad. It's not exactly the Russian National Team.

Different times; and we are growing a Team - building a Program. I want to see a bunch of things happen before Oregon. Let's see.

I don't mind playing them, but saying they should provide a good test is beyond sad.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

I suspect it's a minority opinion, but It saddens me more that you write ,"Doesn't the words . . . make you a bit sad."

Either "Don't the words . . ." or "Doesn't the phrase . . ." would do.
My daughter and I have come to label it, "the dumbening up of America."

Some people expect more of the Huskies. I expect more of The Boneyard.
We both get our daily dose of disappointment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If they don't win by 100 I am going to become a PeeCee fan, sorry can't take this any more.:rolleyes:
I feel like by now there is a thread on the PC board saying "UConn fans have already decided to follow PC this year after the epic beat down we gave them" with a link to your post.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I suspect it's a minority opinion, but It saddens me more that you write ,"Doesn't the words . . . make you a bit sad."

Ehhh

TomAto, tomato

If that truly disappoints you, I have some Prozac to sell ya buddy, keep ya head up english nazi, things will get better

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

FWIW, I wasn't sure but was too lazy to do the research.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure KO inherited a program. One of the better ones.

Yup, KO inherited a program that didn't face recruiting sanctions at the same time it was doomed into transitioning from the best basketball conference in the history of the sport to CUSA 2.0. Maintaining past levels of success should've been a walk in the park.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Yup, KO inherited a program that didn't face recruiting sanctions at the same time it was doomed into transitioning from the best basketball conference in the history of the sport to CUSA 2.0. Maintaining past levels of success should've been a walk in the park.
And he did a great job during the first two years, which should have been the hardest. All I want is some sign of competence and competitiveness from this coach and team. The conference isn't holding back the top teams in it, we should always be one.

Reaction Score
Harsh crowd. I think most of us knew what the OP meant. It would be nice to see them play well against an opponent that isn't the equivalent of a tackling dummy, he's saying. Nobody is cutting down the nets after a victory, but if they can separate themselves athletically and demonstrate progress towards building cohesive units on both ends of the floor, I'll feel better about life.

Reaction Score

Different times indeed(especially if Merrimack is considered a good test). But lets make one thing clear, the Program was built. Construction began 30 plus years ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom