Mercury vs Lynx Tonight at 7:30 ET | The Boneyard

Mercury vs Lynx Tonight at 7:30 ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
How hard to these teams go for a win tonight? Now that DT and PT are back who has the advantage? This game will be loaded with Olympians.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Harrison is playing tonight for Phoenix. I think she will have a good year. Both of these teams should be really good.

Reaction Score
Maya, DT, Tina are three top scores in 3 teams.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That was an embarrassing performance for Phoenix. Syl totally took it to BG and Phoenix looked undisciplined, settling for long range bombs while Minny was getting to the rim and taking much better shots. DT was careless with the ball and TOs really cost Phoenix, as did their total lack of aggression in going for rebounds.

Minnesota sent a message tonight and Phoenix has a lot of work to do to regain the cohesion they had before DT and PT took the year off. That may have created a chemistry problem that will be hard to overcome. Teammates who put self above team can have a very negative impact that is not visible to the naked eye, even if the reason for their actions makes perfect logical sense. Then add the fact that these players are opponents in other leagues. There may be some emotional baggage to get past.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
MN cut down to thirteen five days ago, Pho did it last night trimming four from the roster. MN look like they were in mid-season form.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Griner looked unsure and passive. Seems to be a problem for her in the games I've seen.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Now that Minnesota has Fowles can they beat a team with Griner et al.?

Ok, after tonight, the leading candidates for MVP are 2 former MVPs. In wins against key competition, Maya put up 27 points and 10 assists, and Tina had 24 points, 11 boards, 4 assists, and 1 block. EDD did not play in Chicago' win tonight.

I was at the Mystics v. Liberty game. Tina looked sleek, like a cougar. She played as well as she did in Istanbul in September 2014, which is to say that she looked great. She was clearly the best player on the floor.

Reaction Score
That was an embarrassing performance for Phoenix. Syl totally took it to BG and Phoenix looked undisciplined, settling for long range bombs while Minny was getting to the rim and taking much better shots. DT was careless with the ball and TOs really cost Phoenix, as did their total lack of aggression in going for rebounds.

Minnesota sent a message tonight and Phoenix has a lot of work to do to regain the cohesion they had before DT and PT took the year off. That may have created a chemistry problem that will be hard to overcome. Teammates who put self above team can have a very negative impact that is not visible to the naked eye, even if the reason for their actions makes perfect logical sense. Then add the fact that these players are opponents in other leagues. There may be some emotional baggage to get past.

What you said in bold is a complete joke. Secondly you realize this is the 1st game of the season? Your post of putting out there that there might be a chemistry problem because a couple of player's took a season off sounds more like a bitter fan- nothing more. Give me a break. They got crushed by the champion 1st game of the year playing away from home in which the champion was probably pissed that Phoenix got many more 1st place votes than they did.

It sounds like you're inventing a problem because you're mad that the player's weren't there for one of your fav player's last year. Get over it.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
What you said in bold is a complete joke. Secondly you realize this is the 1st game of the season? Your post of putting out there that there might be a chemistry problem because a couple of player's took a season off sounds more like a bitter fan- nothing more. Give me a break. They got crushed by the champion 1st game of the year playing away from home in which the champion was probably pissed that Phoenix got many more 1st place votes than they did.

It sounds like you're inventing a problem because you're mad that the player's weren't there for one of your fav player's last year. Get over it.
sounds like he loves Griner... and think DT's time off was the wrong thing to do. ETT wants everything to go thru BG not DT

Reaction Score
I predict that the Mercury will even the score when they play at Phoenix.

The foul calls on Griner were kinda suspect...

I was at the game. Front row behind the Phoenix bench.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There was a play where Diana fouled Maya - hard - and Maya ended up on the floor. Diana got called for the foul and was walking around talking to herself when Renee went over and said something to her, then she started cracking up. My husband and I were trying to figure out what Renee said and I figure it was, "I'm telling Geno on you. You know he likes Maya best".

Reaction Score
Griner looked unsure and passive. Seems to be a problem for her in the games I've seen.

Griner played small. I think Fowles took her out of the games early and Griner never responded. I'm sure it was Geno's fault. :rolleyes:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Griner was passive, as were most of the players. As much as I love DT she often does not play team ball and dominated the ball too much, resulting in other players just standing watching her. DT was out of control, getting the ball stripped and picking up silly offensive fouls. Her play bordered on selfish. Phoenix cannot win a championship with BG playing that way and I expected more from them after they played together in Russia.

BG has been playing too long to pick up those silly fouls so early in a game. And when she is in foul trouble early she gets passive and seems to disappear. She has to learn when not to challenge shots and she needs to learn how to contribute even when she is not involved in the offense. She still has a lot to learn. I have always been a fan of Fowles and she looked like the best post player in the world. With that type of play she will start in the Olympics.

Reaction Score
There was a play where Diana fouled Maya - hard - and Maya ended up on the floor. Diana got called for the foul and was walking around talking to herself when Renee went over and said something to her, then she started cracking up. My husband and I were trying to figure out what Renee said and I figure it was, "I'm telling Geno on you. You know he likes Maya best".
Rene to Diana: Common, we are all from UConn, don't play so hard.

Reaction Score
Griner was passive, as were most of the players. As much as I love DT she often does not play team ball and dominated the ball too much, resulting in other players just standing watching her. DT was out of control, getting the ball stripped and picking up silly offensive fouls. Her play bordered on selfish. Phoenix cannot win a championship with BG playing that way and I expected more from them after they played together in Russia.

BG has been playing too long to pick up those silly fouls so early in a game. And when she is in foul trouble early she gets passive and seems to disappear. She has to learn when not to challenge shots and she needs to learn how to contribute even when she is not involved in the offense. She still has a lot to learn. I have always been a fan of Fowles and she looked like the best post player in the world. With that type of play she will start in the Olympics.

OMG.

Unbelievable.

Unless you were talking about 1 game?

Reaction Score
Finally saw the game:
1. Whatever issues Phoenix had with Minnesota had nothing to do with team chemistry.
2. Minnesota with Fowles is a tough matchup for Phoenix because she neutralizes Griner.
3. I do not foresee Phoenix having such issues with any other team in the league with the possible exception of New York with Tina Charles.
4. Diana Taurasi was unstoppable at the start of both halves. If Phoenix can work out nice rotations to keep her fresh, then Phoenix will be more than fine. Her turnovers, less than par shooting, and fouls all occurred later in the respective halves.
5. Renee Montgomery has found a nice niche with this Minnesota team.
6. Natasha Howard showed a lot of energy.
7. Maya saw the floor better than at any time in her illustrious career. She should have had at least two more assists. Maya is also becoming more effort efficient(age and experience), and has developed into a capable ball handler.
8. Brittany Griner changes every shot she is able to contest. Minnesota did a good job of keeping her occupied away from the basket.

Count me among those concerned about the new WNBA playoff format. In particular, the early round one game eliminations.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Is Anna Cruz still with Minnesota? Or is she sitting out the Olympic year? Her not playing gives Renee a huge role.

Reaction Score
Ms Cruz is not on the roster and I do not know if she was in training camp with the team. Ms Cruz's absence from the roster had not occurred to me until you mentioned it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom