Mercedes Russell | The Boneyard

Mercedes Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Is UConn not recruiting her? The game out here in Eugene has got to have some reason besides a 3,000 mile trip and to endure some rain.. but she isn't on Nan's recruiting site

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Is UConn not recruiting her? The game out here in Eugene has got to have some reason besides a 3,000 mile trip and to endure some rain.. but she isn't on Nan's recruiting site
Hey, Eugene's a great college town/ give it a little more credit than that. :)

We have made overtures to MR, but we were a bit late to that party. I don't know definitively whether that is making the chances of landing her slim, but at any rate, the primary recruiting targets for 2013 are Diamond, Taya, and the younger Samuelson. MR seems like a special player, but doesn't appear to be in the cards, at least not at this stage. UConn is also recruiting 2014 post phenom Brianna Turner, so it may be that Geno/CD decided to focus their attention on her rather than recruit MR aggressively. Obviously, that's just speculation on my part.

Reaction Score
I don't understand the mentality of "too late to the party" thinking. If the Punxsutawney School of Chiropody started recruiting her in first grade, does that give them a leg (or foot) up?

Is UConn farther away than the farthest of her current candidates? Are there already too many centers on the UConn squad for the 4 years she'd be here? Does Mercedes expect to win at least one National Championship in her college years?

Seems to me that those are more rational considerations.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't understand the mentality of "too late to the party" thinking. Is UConn farther away than the farthest of her current candidates? Are there already too many centers on the UConn squad for the 4 years she'd be here? Does Mercedes expect to win at least one National Championship in her college years?

Seems to me that those are more rational considerations.

If the Punxsutawney School of Chiropody started recruiting her in first grade, does that give them a leg (or foot) up?

No, but it might involve some arm twisting.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
These are adolescent girls we're talking about here. Rational is not always how these decisions work. Additionally, being late to the party means that CD and Geno have had less time to build a relationship with her vis a vis other coaches. Kids feel loyal.

Reaction Score
Geno is on a new wave of players and do not look past any player........

Reaction Score
Dolson, Stokes, Stewart, Tuck...I think UConn is all set with post players for the time being. That will probably be more of a focus in the 2014 (and '15) class.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Dolson, Stokes, Stewart, Tuck...I think UConn is all set with post players for the time being. That will probably be more of a focus in the 2014 (and '15) class.
Disagree. Dolson is the only true center IMO, the others are forwards. Stokes may turn out to be a true center, but I have not seen a back to the basket game from her yet. Geno needs a center from 2013 or 2014.

And I would not give up on MR yet. IIRC, Swin Cash supposedly was going elsewhere, but she got interested in UConn late and of course UConn welcomed that interest.

Reaction Score
You don't really need a true center in the college game. And Stokes (and even Stewart) can definitely play the position.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I believe that CD the Elder made a trip to see Mercedes in the fall. Can folks confirm this, or am I hallucinating?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I believe that CD the Elder made a trip to see Mercedes in the fall. Can folks confirm this, or am I hallucinating?
Yes, you're correct. But after she did so, the speculation was that DD, TR, and Samuelson were the primary targets. We shall see.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, you're correct. But after she did so, the speculation was that DD, TR, and Samuelson were the primary targets. We shall see.
Yep, you are correct.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One of the horde reported those 3 as the primary targets after weeks of no information. I never saw ANY feedback on CD's trip. Maybe she went to Portland to get a deal on a new S550. :D

HGN

Reaction Score
Disagree. Dolson is the only true center IMO, the others are forwards. Stokes may turn out to be a true center, but I have not seen a back to the basket game from her yet. Geno needs a center from 2013 or 2014.

And I would not give up on MR yet. IIRC, Swin Cash supposedly was going elsewhere, but she got interested in UConn late and of course UConn welcomed that interest.
I agree Speedoo.......I think Geno needs a center in 2013 or in the 2014 Class. IF, he continues to employ a true center in his line-up. And thats a BIG IF , because many coach's are now employing a 2-forwards, 3-guard line-ups. With no true center because of the shortage of size. If that becomes UCONN's thinking , Geno may go with 2/3 forwards , and 2 /3 guards. And from the classes that are lining up for UConn , he will have the horses , or i should say girls , to put out an outstanding starting 5 , with Super bench players.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
We have made overtures to MR, but we were a bit late to that party. I don't know definitively whether that is making the chances of landing her slim, but at any rate, the primary recruiting targets for 2013 are Diamond, Taya, and the younger Samuelson.

Actually the 2013 Samuelson is the middle Samuelson. The younger Samuelson is a 2015. The older Samuelson/2011 is a freshman at Stanford

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
Hey, Eugene's a great college town/ give it a little more credit than that. :)

I know Eugene is great, I fell in love with it and will be there next fall =)

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
I agree Speedoo.......I think Geno needs a center in 2013 or in the 2014 Class. IF, he continues to employ a true center in his line-up. And thats a BIG IF , because many coach's are now employing a 2-forwards, 3-guard line-ups. With no true center because of the shortage of size. If that becomes UCONN's thinking , Geno may go with 2/3 forwards , and 2 /3 guards. And from the classes that are lining up for UConn , he will have the horses , or i should say girls , to put out an outstanding starting 5 , with Super bench players.

MR is a true center with a great jump shot, and great blocking skills.. She most certainly has the potential to develop into a taller Tina Charles with better blocking.. I hope Geno pushes for her, I'd hate to see her go to Stanford or Tenn

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
You don't really need a true center in the college game. And Stokes (and even Stewart) can definitely play the position.
If you want to win championships, having a true center is certainly needed IMO. Once in a while a team lacking one (aTm last year, although they did have a reserve true center) will win, but that is pretty rare. If you asked Geno, I am pretty sure he'd say he'd rather have a Tina Charles or Stef Dolson than try to win without a player like that.

Why? Because a true center will give you at a minimum, a strong low post game and a better high post game on offense, shot blocking and space-eating on defense, and of course rebounding.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I know Eugene is great, I fell in love with it and will be there next fall =)
See anything familiar in this clip?

(google Animal House trailer teehee)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you want to win championships, having a true center is certainly needed IMO. Once in a while a team lacking one (aTm last year, although they did have a reserve true center) will win, but that is pretty rare. If you asked Geno, I am pretty sure he'd say he'd rather have a Tina Charles or Stef Dolson than try to win without a player like that.

Why? Because a true center will give you at a minimum, a strong low post game and a better high post game on offense, shot blocking and space-eating on defense, and of course rebounding.
Unless you have three kick-ass forwards, all only 6-2 and none of them centers :)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Unless you have three kick-ass forwards, all only 6-2 and none of them centers :)

I remember a team like that.....! :cool:

How about if one of them is a 6'4" with uber-skills and flubber-feet, one is 6'3" (Kiah) and one is 6'2" (Morgan)? That group, in 2014-15, has a chance to emulate and possibly even eclipse the Great 3-headed Monster of 2002 (if Geno were to deploy them in the same type of offense), which is saying a lot--a helluva lot.

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
See anything familiar in this clip?

(google Animal House trailer teehee)

Every game at Autzen between the 3rd and 4th quarter they play "Shout" as a tribute =)

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
All the talk around Louisville is that we are very, very high on her list. She and Stephanie Mavunga will be on an unofficial visit on Presidents Day when we host Notre Dame at The YUM! Center.

Reaction Score
i think there were talks of MR and stephanie Mavunga going to the same college.. i don't think that'll work out but hell what do i know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom