Men's soccer 2019 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Men's soccer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Injury report. John Tuite on WHUS says Felix Metzler and Gianluca Catalano are out for the rest of the season with injuries.

Reaction Score
The torture never stops. Temple scores midway through the first half to make it 1-0.

Reaction Score
A goal by Jake Dengler with about 12 minutes left in the first half ties the game at 1.

Reaction Score
Dengler gets a red card and is ejected from the game, so UConn will be playing a man short for the rest of the game. WHUS announcers say it is a horrible call. Temple scores with 30 minutes left in the second half to go up 2-1.

arch

Reaction Score
Dengler gets a red card and is ejected from the game, so UConn will be playing a man short for the rest of the game. WHUS announcers say it is a horrible call. Temple scores with 30 minutes left in the second half to go up 2-1.
Game is being streamed. Not that it’s a fun View.

Reaction Score
Responses: There is no report to review, but just a post written a few years back by a volunteer student manager. Unsure if this system has an archive feature you can tap to find it. I do not believe the AD/Compliance are onboard with ousting RR, especially since someone will ask why did they ignore all the warning signs over years, such as negative player/staff surveys, critical ex-player/fan/employee emails, as well as the number of players leaving the team and university each fall! (By the way, that number will reach a record the day after their final game, while college coaches are betting on and watching how this train wreck unfolds.)

We know there was a meeting held between the AD and RR because he often blames his current losing situation on it! When RR is frustrated he will just yell at the players, "They wanted me to ease up on you people and look where it got me! Wait until this pre-season there will be changes!" Quite a recruiting and retention incentive for the returning players. Of course, it is all their fault given they have so much control in the process. RR may be receiving a generous state pension and benefit package, but that really means little to him given he is myopic about soccer and winning. (I actually worry about him if this all plays out! Nah!) RR will not go quietly into that good night and it will require the president to fire him!

As for your recommendation, I will soon be sending a detailed packet with dates, names, and important events to the new president, the NCAA, local sports media outlets, a few soccer magazines, and my state rep. It will be based on three major issues or violations -1) Body/Fat Shaming Players, 2) Bullying with Gender Biased Comments, and 3) Pressuring Players to Play Injured. (Do you think Felix's and Gigi's season ending injuries were preventable?) As a precedent, Google the firing of longtime UNC's Women's Basketball Coach, Sylvia Hatchell. She was let go for using racially insensitive remarks, pressuring players to play hurt, and "...actions and words that resulted in a breakdown of connectivity with her players." It looks like RR ticks off all those boxes and more. I guess she wasn't as fully committed as he is to the cause!

I understand how longtime fans and supporters do not believe my take on the soccer program, or RR's erratic and abusive behavior. It's a lot to take in, or process (as the experts say), and easier to claim I am exaggerating, or it is just a few soft, unhappy players talking! But as Coach Bill Parcells was fond of saying, "You are what your record says you are." Clearly, there is something serious going on with this team and its players. If RR is going to take the credit for the past when it was going so well then he has to take responsibility in the present when it is going so badly! By the way, that very positive RR speech at the end of the recent soccer banquet was classy, especially in front of donors, fans, parents and former players! I am paraphrasing, "This season is on the players and it is up to them to come together (All 34?), while the coaches have done all they could!" Really! Are they paid to shape team culture and make all the decisions?

Last points: Fans and I have witnessed RR lose his mind and run onto the pitch disrupting play every year. This is not a rare event or just showing Husky Pride! It is full blown break down complete with spitting and foaming at the mouth. RR did it this season on Sept-20 at a home game vs Columbia, when he had to be restrained by his coaching staff and a player (D. Harris) to prevent him from accosting referee Lou Labbadia. RR also did it last year on Sep-15 at a home game vs Loyola when he screamed and swore at his players, coaches, a trainer, and referee Jorge Hernandez. The difference in this game was that RR was surrounded by hundreds of youth soccer players and their parents and coaches! In both cases the referees should have thrown him out, but that legacy and reputation is a sticky wicket. This insanity happens at least in one game every season (I have more dates.) and weekly in practice. (We just need one viral video people!)

As for RR having trouble recruiting, the AAC's RPI rating hovers around third in the nation with UCF (4), SMU (9), and Memphis (22) highly ranked and Temple (34) and USF (38) well ranked. You mean to tell me that UConn (101) with its legendary coach, a storied soccer program, an unparalleled fan base and training facilities, as well as a new state-of-the-art soccer stadium cannot compete with those four schools; even Memphis? How are they doing it then? Maybe high school, academy, and college coaches (transfers) have caught on to this dysfunctional program, noticed that revolving door of players over the past eight years, and are quietly telling their players to pick another college program!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Responses: There is no report to review, but just a post written a few years back by a volunteer student manager. Unsure if this system has an archive feature you can tap to find it. I do not believe the AD/Compliance are onboard with ousting RR, especially since someone will ask why did they ignore all the warning signs over years, such as negative player/staff surveys, critical ex-player/fan/employee emails, as well as the number of players leaving the team and university each fall! (By the way, that number will reach a record the day after their final game, while college coaches are betting on and watching how this train wreck unfolds.)

We know there was a meeting held between the AD and RR because he often blames his current losing situation on it! When RR is frustrated he will just yell at the players, "They wanted me to ease up on you people and look where it got me! Wait until this pre-season there will be changes!" Quite a recruiting and retention incentive for the returning players. Of course, it is all their fault given they have so much control in the process. RR may be receiving a generous state pension and benefit package, but that really means little to him given he is myopic about soccer and winning. (I actually worry about him if this all plays out! Nah!) RR will not go quietly into that good night and it will require the president to fire him!

As for your recommendation, I will soon be sending a detailed packet with dates, names, and important events to the new president, the NCAA, local sports media outlets, a few soccer magazines, and my state rep. It will be based on three major issues or violations -1) Body/Fat Shaming Players, 2) Bullying with Gender Biased Comments, and 3) Pressuring Players to Play Injured. (Do you think Felix's and Gigi's season ending injuries were preventable?) As a precedent, Google the firing of longtime UNC's Women's Basketball Coach, Sylvia Hatchell. She was let go for using racially insensitive remarks, pressuring players to play hurt, and "...actions and words that resulted in a breakdown of connectivity with her players." It looks like RR ticks off all those boxes and more. I guess she wasn't as fully committed as he is to the cause!

I understand how longtime fans and supporters do not believe my take on the soccer program, or RR's erratic and abusive behavior. It's a lot to take in, or process (as the experts say), and easier to claim I am exaggerating, or it is just a few soft, unhappy players talking! But as Coach Bill Parcells was fond of saying, "You are what your record says you are." Clearly, there is something serious going on with this team and its players. If RR is going to take the credit for the past when it was going so well then he has to take responsibility in the present when it is going so badly! By the way, that very positive RR speech at the end of the recent soccer banquet was classy, especially in front of donors, fans, parents and former players! I am paraphrasing, "This season is on the players and it is up to them to come together (All 34?), while the coaches have done all they could!" Really! Are they paid to shape team culture and make all the decisions?

Last points: Fans and I have witnessed RR lose his mind and run onto the pitch disrupting play every year. This is not a rare event or just showing Husky Pride! It is full blown break down complete with spitting and foaming at the mouth. RR did it this season on Sept-20 at a home game vs Columbia, when he had to be restrained by his coaching staff and a player (D. Harris) to prevent him from accosting referee Lou Labbadia. RR also did it last year on Sep-15 at a home game vs Loyola when he screamed and swore at his players, coaches, a trainer, and referee Jorge Hernandez. The difference in this game was that RR was surrounded by hundreds of youth soccer players and their parents and coaches! In both cases the referees should have thrown him out, but that legacy and reputation is a sticky wicket. This insanity happens at least in one game every season (I have more dates.) and weekly in practice. (We just need one viral video people!)

As for RR having trouble recruiting, the AAC's RPI rating hovers around third in the nation with UCF (4), SMU (9), and Memphis (22) highly ranked and Temple (34) and USF (38) well ranked. You mean to tell me that UConn (101) with its legendary coach, a storied soccer program, an unparalleled fan base and training facilities, as well as a new state-of-the-art soccer stadium cannot compete with those four schools; even Memphis? How are they doing it then? Maybe high school, academy, and college coaches (transfers) have caught on to this dysfunctional program, noticed that revolving door of players over the past eight years, and are quietly telling their players to pick another college program!
I hear what you are saying. Suggestion - send your packet to the AD's office and the University President first before you go to the NCAA, media, etc. You have to decide if you are looking for change for the sake of the program or are you looking to bury Reid. If you go guns a blazing to every media outlet etc, it sounds like you are out to get Reid and your motives will come into play. If you go to the NEW President and the AD's office and nothing is done, then when you go to everyone else you can say you tried and they didn't listen or you tried and they haven't handled it to your satisfaction. OR they just might listen and do something - especially with a brand new President.

Reaction Score
Just got back from dinner. Anyway, SMU has a free video feed of the game:

Reaction Score
No surprise here as SMU is one of the best teams in the AAC, and UConn clearly is not:

Reaction Score
The AAC men's soccer regular season comes to an end on Tuesday night. The top six teams make it to the AAC tourney. UConn is currently in seventh place with a 1-5 record in the AAC, 1 point behind Cincinnati which owns a 1-4-1 record in conference play. It's amazing at this point given how this team has played that the Huskies still have a decent chance to make the AAC tourney. UConn plays last place Tulsa (0-5-1) Tuesday night in Hartford, while Cincinnati plays at home against UCF which is in first place in the AAC. If UConn can get a win over Tulsa and Cincinnati loses or ties against UCF, Uconn would make the AAC tourney. A tie for UConn and a Cincinnati loss would also get the Huskies into the AAC tourney, as UConn beat Cincinnati earlier this season.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
The conference must be frighteningly top heavy if 1-5 puts you in a position to make top 6. Time for me to look at the standings.

Reaction Score

Such a frustrating situation. Why is coach RR playing the same players and getting the same results all season when he has some extraordinary talent on the bench? Why has he not given some of those players even one minute of playing time (including preseason) when the team is consistently losing?
It seems obvious that the players who received scholarships and money from him are the only ones getting the playing time. In my opinion, he does this so that he doesn’t look bad in front of his athletic director, regardless of how they’re playing. He obviously doesn’t care about winning when he lets talented players go to waste sitting on the bench and continues to lose. THERE NEEDS TO BE A CHANGE.

Reaction Score
The AAC men's soccer regular season comes to an end on Tuesday night. The top six teams make it to the AAC tourney. UConn is currently in seventh place with a 1-5 record in the AAC, 1 point behind Cincinnati which owns a 1-4-1 record in conference play. It's amazing at this point given how this team has played that the Huskies still have a decent chance to make the AAC tourney. UConn plays last place Tulsa (0-5-1) Tuesday night in Hartford, while Cincinnati plays at home against UCF which is in first place in the AAC. If UConn can get a win over Tulsa and Cincinnati loses or ties against UCF, Uconn would make the AAC tourney. A tie for UConn and a Cincinnati loss would also get the Huskies into the AAC tourney, as UConn beat Cincinnati earlier this season.

I'm conflicted. For the young men on the team I hope they win. But it would be better for UConn if they lost and Reid's team finishes out of the AAC tourney.

Reaction Score
Dayonn Harris scores midway through the first half to give UConn a 1-0 lead.

Reaction Score
Just before halftime, UConn gets a penalty kick. The initial shot by Robin Lapert is saved by the Tulsa keeper, but Lapert scores on the rebound. 3-0 Huskies.

Reaction Score
Moussa Wade scores his second goal of the game early in the second half to make it 4-0 for the Huskies. Tulsa counters quickly with a goal of their own to make it 4-1.

Meanwhile, Cincinnati and Central Florida are tied early in the second half of their game. If Cincinnati wins that game, that would kill UConn's chance to make the AAC tourney.

Reaction Score
Ibrahima Diop scores on a direct kick off a set piece just outside the penalty box to make it 5-1 UConn.

Reaction Score
Ahdan Tait goal makes it 6-1 Huskies. I took them long enough, but UConn finally found a team bad enough that they could dominate.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
2-1 Ucf btw. Under 10 mins left.

Reaction Score
Tulsa scores to make it 6-2. Meanwhile, Cincinnati is now tied at 2 with UCF. That game is going into overtime.

Reaction Score
Better not blink in Hartford tonight. Tulsa scores again to make it 6-3 with about 2 minutes to go in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom