Men's soccer 2019 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Men's soccer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score
Diaco donated $250k to UConn to go towards the new Athletic Facilities - it clearly didn’t help him in the end.

I would imagine more leverage goes to Tony Rizza on successor than to Reid.

Diaco didn't have the history and connection that Reid has at UConn for multiple decades now, so please don't compare the two, I mean seriously..

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. Gunn makes too much sense for the head coaching job that I'm sure Benedict will mess it up somehow. Rieds donations gave him leverage over Benedict and he has turned a blind eye to the disaster of a program that it has turned into these last couple seasons. Poor results on and off the field with talented players leaving the program becoming more and more frequent. In 2015 Ried brought in 12 freshmen, by the spring there was 6, by senior year there was only 2. In 2016 they had 8 newcomers, only 3 of them stayed till now senior year, none of which get minutes. In 2017 they brought in 5 freshmen, the top two left by the start of 2018. Most notable of these players, Deandrae Bown who scored 7 goals for UMass last year. Niko Petridis who has 4 goals and 3 assists so far this year for top 25 st johns, as well as Austin Dasilva who leads his team UAlbany with 5 goals and 1 assist already this season. How does this go ignored by the AD? I know it's not a money making sport but UConn Soccer used to be something everyone took pride in around the state. Sucks to see
There's an exceptional striker who plays for top-ranked Glastonbury HS (16 goals in 6 games I believe) who either didn't have any interest in UConn or vice versa. He's going to UMass next year. Very telling.

Reaction Score
Another name to keep an eye on is Marc Hubbard, who has turned NEW HAMPSHIRE into a legit top 20 team the last two years.

Wow. Just read about him. UNH is 7-0-2 and 15th in the country. Led them to the NCAA's in 2017 and 2018. Led Southern New Hampshire to the Division 2 National Title. That's the type of stuff you see from great coaches early in their careers.

Looking at the some of these young coaches right under our noses in New England doing great things at UNH and Yale it would be almost a dereliction of duty to not pull the trigger after this clunker of a season. These guys won't be long for Power 5 suitors soon. But a program with UConn's history, fan support, brand new stadium, and return to the Big East would have to be very enticing to them.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I keep hoping I see an announcement that says due to EEE we're cancelling the men's soccer season. But, the worse the season gets, the more likely we move on from RR (I hope).

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
The season was already a nightmare. I doubt they tie or win again.

Reaction Score
If this season finishes ugly without Hall and AD Dave chalks it up to his injury and ignores all the other warning signs than it's another sign he's out of his depth.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
If this season finishes ugly without Hall and AD Dave chalks it up to his injury and ignores all the other warning signs than it's another sign he's out of his depth.
My brother suggested that Hall being out could be used as an excuse. I hope not. Also, he said the announcers on WHUS seemed to be unaware that Hall was out for the season. They were questioning why they hadn't noticed him.
0-0 at the half.

Reaction Score
The downhill slide continues. Memphis beats UConn 1-0 in overtime.

Reaction Score
Any competent coach would be able to turn around the #1 attendance program in a brand new stadium with 3 national titles. Let Reid retire instead of getting canned for this performance and get the right guy in

Reaction Score
My brother suggested that Hall being out could be used as an excuse. I hope not. Also, he said the announcers on WHUS seemed to be unaware that Hall was out for the season. They were questioning why they hadn't noticed him.
0-0 at the half.
They weren’t good at all with him. I don’t know who is gonna buy that as an excuse with the record up until today suggesting UConn soccer is a shell of its former self.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
They weren’t good at all with him. I don’t know who is gonna buy that as an excuse with the record up until today suggesting UConn soccer is a shell of its former self.
Agree completely. My bro is a season ticket holder and badly wants RR gone. The fear is the AD or new pres buys it.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
Let Reid retire instead of getting canned for this performance and get the right guy in
And when will that be? That's the million dollar question. What if he has no plans to retire? AD David Benedict needs to do what's best for UConn here and forget sentimentality.

Reaction Score
The end of the season. You let him know he's retiring or getting fired.
With the $ Reid donated to the school he may have received a promise that he can continue to coach at least 1 season in the new stadium. I would return his donations along with interest and show him the door. He's a fraud.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Agree completely. My bro is a season ticket holder and badly wants RR gone. The fear is the AD or new pres buys it.
Ive been a season ticket holder for decades and a Friend of Soccer since 1979
Been going to UConn soccer since 1965
I know RR, coached at his camps. RR is having a real issue with recruiting - like football and mens basketball, after the OBE ended so did the recruitment bonus UConn received by playing in that league. The AAC is poison to basketball and soccer.
RR does have blame in the programs late demise but he cannot get the players he needs. Losing John Deeley is huge, JD was a players coach.
The truth is AD David Benedict doesn't care about soccer.....................or anything else UConn - he has to go

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
The truth is AD David Benedict doesn't care about soccer......or anything else UConn - he has to go
It appears he made a change with Women's softball back in May of this year, and that has to be lower on the relevancy scale than men's soccer, so there's hope.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It appears he made a change with Women's softball back in May of this year, and that has to be lower on the relevancy scale than men's soccer, so there's hope.
UConn has a womens softball team?
Just kidding
Yeah he did but that's an easier and safe call
RR will take some nads - DB doesn't have any

Reaction Score
UConn has a womens softball team?
Just kidding
Yeah he did but that's an easier and safe call
RR will take some nads - DB doesn't have any
Doesn't have any? Who got rid of Diaco and Ollie?

Reaction Score
Reid needs to go, just his time.

I haven't had time to go to any games this year, too much travel. But it looks like the usual Reid train-wreck? Worse than usual?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Doesn't have any? Who got rid of Diaco and Ollie?
One non-brainer and one due to "allegations" (suzy did this more than DB) does not award someone as having nads - this is completely different
Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul