Men's soccer 2019 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Men's soccer 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And Columbia comes right back and scores to take a 3-2 lead. UConn's defense is a shadow of its former self from previous seasons. About 6 minutes left in the game.

Reaction Score
I can barely hide my contempt anymore for the people who have destroyed this athletic dept.

Reaction Score
I was at the Yale soccer game tonight.

If Benedict had a clue (he doesn't) Reid would be fired after this season and Yale assistant Charles Rodriguez would be hired next year. I thought I recognized the guy. He buried the winning penalty kick for UNC Charlotte in 2011 to beat UConn at Morrone. One of Reid's epic meltdowns.. He played under the best coach in the country Jeremy Gunn and led Charlotte to the title game. He was an assistant coach at Stanford under Gunn for 3 years and they were a machine winning the national title 2 years. He was an assistant at Xavier before that for 3 years and they had their best years in school history with him on the staff. Oh yeah, Yale is undefeated in his first year on the staff. I don't know why he went from Stanford to Yale but this guy is a winner. He was warming the team up before the game and he was very impressive. Calm and focused. Everything Reid isn't. We have arguably one of the better assistants in the country in our backyard. Think he would like to open a new stadium next year?

Reaction Score
I was at the Yale soccer game tonight.

If Benedict had a clue (he doesn't) Reid would be fired after this season and Yale assistant Charles Rodriguez would be hired next year. I thought I recognized the guy. He buried the winning penalty kick for UNC Charlotte in 2011 to beat UConn at Morrone. One of Reid's epic meltdowns.. He played under the best coach in the country Jeremy Gunn and led Charlotte to the title game. He was an assistant coach at Stanford under Gunn for 3 years and they were a machine winning the national title 2 years. He was an assistant at Xavier before that for 3 years and they had their best years in school history with him on the staff. Oh yeah, Yale is undefeated in his first year on the staff. I don't know why he went from Stanford to Yale but this guy is a winner. He was warming the team up before the game and he was very impressive. Calm and focused. Everything Reid isn't. We have arguably one of the better assistants in the country in our backyard. Think he would like to open a new stadium next year?
Love this idea. Let Reid step down, give him his own ceremony at the stadium opening next year, and get back to selling out and winning games.

Reaction Score
Jordan Hall scores his ninth goal of the season late in the first half to make it 1-0 UConn.

Reaction Score
Ahdan Tait first goal as a Husky makes it 2-0 UConn in the middle of the second half.

Reaction Score
After UConn gets the 2-0 lead, Dartmouth quickly scores two goals to tie the game at 2. UConn had been dominating this game, but that fell apart quickly. Another game that could be heading to the dumpster.

Reaction Score
This team plays at nothing, theres no clear identity and simply rely on individuals moments of brilliance. It's clear Reid is past it at this point, but who do you replace him with that can bring the program back to where it belongs? Considering how many DA academies are in the vicinity there should be no shortage of talent to pick from. The program is one competent coach away from being the top program in the northeast and a perennial top 20 nationally

Reaction Score
This team plays at nothing, theres no clear identity and simply rely on individuals moments of brilliance. It's clear Reid is past it at this point, but who do you replace him with that can bring the program back to where it belongs? Considering how many DA academies are in the vicinity there should be no shortage of talent to pick from. The program is one competent coach away from being the top program in the northeast and a perennial top 20 nationally

Are they?

Are the men's and women's soccer programs collateral damage that were expendable as the school dealt with the realignment failure and state fiscal woes? They both went south fast.

I guess we will find out. Because if they give a damn about this program and competing at a high level in this sport than Ray Reid will be relieved of his duties at seasons end.

As for replacements I wrote above how I have a good feeling about a current Yale assistant Charles Rodriguez (Yale is frickin' undefeated and ranked) who is a Jeremy Gunn (Stanford coach and by far the best coach in college soccer) disciple. Played for and coached under Gunn and has won everywhere he went (Charlotte, Xavier, Stanford, Yale). If we had a functional athletic department there would be research and info gathering being done on candidates like him starting now because it's obvious Reid is done.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Next season will hopefully be RR's swan song. Name the pressbox after him and let him go on his way. Yes the team is young but none of his teams in the last 6-8 seasons have had that killer instinct. Its too bad because UConn soccer has been a trailblazer but it's now almost in the shadows. You have to wonder how long will it be when the program doesn't get the preseason ranking respect. My 1980 Friends of Soccer jacket is sad

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score
Given how much say Ried has over this program I worry about him pushing for his assistant Mike Miller to replace him. He has only been here for 3 seasons now but Ried talks highly of him and has said before he turned down head coaching jobs to be an assistant here. I'm hoping for a clean start, something fresh and different to get some excitement back in this program.. These last seasons have been tough but man this year seems just too much

Reaction Score
Given how much say Ried has over this program I worry about him pushing for his assistant Mike Miller to replace him. He has only been here for 3 seasons now but Ried talks highly of him and has said before he turned down head coaching jobs to be an assistant here. I'm hoping for a clean start, something fresh and different to get some excitement back in this program.. These last seasons have been tough but man this year seems just too much

Reid can go pound sand. You don’t get to pick your successor when your staff can’t beat any Ivy League team on the schedule. No one associated with the last couple years should be retained as a head coach. If we are dumb enough to make that mistake after hiring a women’s soccer assistant who was sitting next to Len T as the program flatlined we should just stop construction now on the new stadium.

Also the Yale head coach Kylie Stannard would be a name to consider. He was a successful assistant at Michigan State before doing what he did at Yale this year. They had deep ncaa runs at Michigan state. But Rodriguez connection to Gunn intrigues me more. Gunn is so clearly the best soccer mind in America it seems too good to be true to have one of his protégés coaching right down the road as an assistant the year it’s painfully obvious Reid needs to go. I have found myself going to more Yale soccer games this season. UConn outside of Hall has been unwatchable. And it’s just too sad to watch.

Last edited:

bill6319

Storrs, CT
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. Gunn makes too much sense for the head coaching job that I'm sure Benedict will mess it up somehow. Rieds donations gave him leverage over Benedict and he has turned a blind eye to the disaster of a program that it has turned into these last couple seasons. Poor results on and off the field with talented players leaving the program becoming more and more frequent. In 2015 Ried brought in 12 freshmen, by the spring there was 6, by senior year there was only 2. In 2016 they had 8 newcomers, only 3 of them stayed till now senior year, none of which get minutes. In 2017 they brought in 5 freshmen, the top two left by the start of 2018. Most notable of these players, Deandrae Bown who scored 7 goals for UMass last year. Niko Petridis who has 4 goals and 3 assists so far this year for top 25 st johns, as well as Austin Dasilva who leads his team UAlbany with 5 goals and 1 assist already this season. How does this go ignored by the AD? I know it's not a money making sport but UConn Soccer used to be something everyone took pride in around the state. Sucks to see

Reaction Score
Next season will hopefully be RR's swan song. Name the pressbox after him and let him go on his way. Yes the team is young but none of his teams in the last 6-8 seasons have had that killer instinct. Its too bad because UConn soccer has been a trailblazer but it's now almost in the shadows. You have to wonder how long will it be when the program doesn't get the preseason ranking respect. My 1980 Friends of Soccer jacket is sad

For several years now I have had the notion that Reid would move on after coaching a season in the new soccer facility. However, with the way this season is going, you have to wonder.

Reaction Score
Rieds donations gave him leverage over Benedict and he has turned a blind eye to the disaster of a program that it has turned into these last couple seasons.

Diaco donated $250k to UConn to go towards the new Athletic Facilities - it clearly didn’t help him in the end.

I would imagine more leverage goes to Tony Rizza on successor than to Reid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom