Men's Basketball: Who takes the last shot? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men's Basketball: Who takes the last shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
While I like the "whoever is open" reply a lot, I think we may see a lot Jalen in clutch situations creating as we get into 2016 of the year.

Reaction Score
Gibbs is definitely the best shooter, and probably the best creator, so I'd say it's him.
Gibbs takes the shots or makes the call on if hes going to drive and dish to the open man
He should have the ball at crunch time, unquestionably ,but it's really the defense that determines who takes the last shot.
How good a PG Gibbs is somewhat based on his ability to find the open guy or get open himself.

Reaction Score
I could envision a situation, let's say, UConn is down 1 with 15 seconds left. KO goes with the small lineup (Gibbs, Adams, RP, DH, and SM), spreads the floor, and Gibbs has the ball. He is doubled, passes to JA with SM setting a screen that he slips and Jalen gets him the ball. Shonn drives the lane and, as the opposing center moves to contest, passes out to Gibbs who hits the open jumper as the buzzer sounds! Or DH gets the ball in an isolation, drives past his man and offers a perfect alley oop to Shonn on the weak side. Or.....
I can envision Miller getting the ball at the foul line, powering to hole with 2 players hanging on his back, flushing the rock then leaving his defenders bleeding and crying on the hardwood.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
There is precedent for great UConn teams being really balanced and without a true alpha; who was the alpha in 04, really? What about 09? We've done it before, so although it could be an issue, it doesn't HAVE to be an issue.

Of course, I'm kinda assuming this team will be great, and that is really no sure thing with all the important additions. Can never be sure about chemistry.
Well, in 2004 it was Emeka until he got hurt late in the year and then Ben raised his game and became "the guy" in the BET. Emeka came back to be the guy again in the NCAA's. In 2009, AJ Price was "the guy." Hasheem was a force, but the efficiency of the team went down tremendously when AJ was on the bench. Against MSU, Izzo's game plan was to keep the ball out of AJ's hands and it pretty well neutralized our team. I guess you could say that we have had dynamic duos on some teams (Rip and KEA), but it looks to me that it usually needs to include the PG.

Reaction Score
Um, did you watch UConn in 2004? Did you ever hear of s guy named Okafor? Ben did some nice things but make no mistake Emeka was the man.

Reaction Score
Whatever dude. Mek was great in the post that yr, but all kinds of other guys took huge shots.

And, yeah, watched every minute, like we all did.

The good thing is having multiple options and they did that year depending on where you wanted to go with the ball. Ben and Rashad on the perimeter and Mek and Charlie interior.

Reaction Score
Gibbs without question. It's his last college year and he didn't come to UConn to be the second choice in a game shot scenario. Purvis is a great alternative to have if Gibbs is off that game. It will start like this but find its own way as the year goes by.

Reaction Score
Last shots for us have been fairly obvious for a few seasons. And a few times we didn't get good ones off because we were relegated to one or 2 guys who were really good with the ball late in their hands and relished those moments. But coaches aren't going to allow the hot player to beat them so it's really comforting this year knowing that if Gibbs is playing really well then we have the element of surprise for a last shot. And it's not just one guy which makes it much harder to prepare the defense to look to double. Who do you leave alone? Really like Miller's 83% FT shooting too in late situations.

Best way to keep from choosing who will take the last shot is to just beat the snot out of everyone then RichZ will always be right!;)

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I think it depends a lot on the trust the guys have in each other. I think it helps that they are already hanging out together.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Another vote for Gibbs, unless someone else (Adams, Hamilton, Purvis) becomes a SUPERSTAR. Hamilton can create for himself, but he struggled to put the ball in the hoop sometimes. Purvis doesn't have the handle yet. And it's asking a lot from Adams.

Gibbs is the latest in a line of guys who can burn the clock and then take someone off the dribble to create a shot for himself or someone else.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
we have multiple options

Maybe something like that will become the theme for this group if they really can focus on the team goals. I hope that this group can become an excellent passing team. With Hamilton and Miller, the potential is there. Adams in off the bench could help open things up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom