Men's Basketball: Who takes the last shot? | The Boneyard

Men's Basketball: Who takes the last shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
0435066820_14565493_8col.jpg

Was wondering, who will take the last shot this season. UConn should be in several close games and was wondering does the senior transfer take the last shot? I know Gibbs has a history of clutch shots but this seems to be an issue that he is a senior transfer. Does Purvis have any shot late game? Just writing to get some opinions from other people.

Reaction Score
Gotta be never nervous Purvis or never startled Sterling.

Reaction Score
Depends on how well DHam developed his mid-range game. Right now, I'd say Gibbs.

Reaction Score
I remember the same question asked in an interview with the Celtics Big 3 during their first playoff run. They asked them to say out loud who would take the final shot on the count of three. Both Garnett and Pierce said "Ray", and Ray Allen said "the open man." I'd have to agree with the greatest shooter of all time.

Reaction Score
I would guess hamilton and purvis are the guys hitting clutch buckets.

Reaction Score
I was talking about this the other night. The larger question is can a team win without having an "alpha dog." This team has 5 or possibly 6 players who could lead the team in scoring on any given nite. Is that a good way to win, with 6 guys averaging 10-12 ppg, or do we need one of them to be the clear cut leader and score at least 16-18 ppg? If we need a leader who will it be - Gibbs and Miller are one year transfers, Adams is a rookie, Amida is the most inconsistent, Purvis is awful at the free throw line which can be a liability at the end of games - which points to Hamilton as the most likely leader, but his personality may not play to that role. Maybe we don't need an on-the -floor alpha, and a different guy can step up each nite. Interesting to see how it plays out.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Whoever is hot. KO will draw the play to feed the hot hand.

It's going to be a combination of 2 things... like 2husky said, who's hot... and also who KO thinks we have a match-up advantage on

Reaction Score
I would say Gibbs would be the man to get the last shot. He has hit some big last second shots. I have a hard time seeing Purvis with the ball in his hands late in the shot clock due to his limited ball handling abilities plus hes a set shooter and below average free throw shooter. Maybe have Gibbs create and dish to an open Purvis if theres time.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Gibbs takes the shots or makes the call on if hes going to drive and dish to the open man

Reaction Score
Gibbs is definitely the best shooter, and probably the best creator, so I'd say it's him.

Reaction Score
I was talking about this the other night. The larger question is can a team win without having an "alpha dog." This team has 5 or possibly 6 players who could lead the team in scoring on any given nite. Is that a good way to win, with 6 guys averaging 10-12 ppg, or do we need one of them to be the clear cut leader and score at least 16-18 ppg? If we need a leader who will it be - Gibbs and Miller are one year transfers, Adams is a rookie, Amida is the most inconsistent, Purvis is awful at the free throw line which can be a liability at the end of games - which points to Hamilton as the most likely leader, but his personality may not play to that role. Maybe we don't need an on-the -floor alpha, and a different guy can step up each nite. Interesting to see how it plays out.
I really hope this is the case, that 6 guys average 10+ points. That would mean a balanced and versatile team. In this case I could see Gibbs as the leader to set up the play, but it would have a lot of options and it would depend on the defense. The open guy would take the shot.

Reaction Score
I see this season as one more like 1999 than more recent ones. Lately our team leader was also the best player. Kemba or Shabazz are examples. Oakafor was too. But in '99 year the leader and he was truly fearless was Kahlid but he was far from the best player. Purvis could well emerge as the guy who plays that role with Hamilton in the role of Rip who was far and away the best player. Ollie played a similar role on the 95 team where Ray was the go to guy.

Reaction Score
This is one of those things that concerns me regarding chemistry. Purvis will want to be that guy, but it should be Gibbs. Now if Gibbs drives and two collapse on him and he kicks it to Purvis for an open 3 then I'm all for that. I want the ball in Gibbs hands, be shooting or setting someone up, with the game on the line. Next in line to handle the ball would be Hamilton, for me. Wildcard is Adams, has been very clutch in his career thus far. College is obviously a different game but if that gene sticks with him, I wouldn't mind the ball in his hands, even if he is just a freshman.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if we have "that guy" this year. But I actually see that as a good thing. This team has a ton of weapons, other teams won't be able to key in on any one guy.

Reaction Score
You need an alpha dog though. You can't have 5 guys named Moe no matter how good the are. It never works.

Reaction Score
Score is tied, maybe Miller or DHam drives it in and converts or gets fouled. Gibbs from long range. I like having more than one option that the defense can key on, unlike last year when they were all over Boat.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
This is one of those things that concerns me regarding chemistry. Purvis will want to be that guy, but it should be Gibbs. Now if Gibbs drives and two collapse on him and he kicks it to Purvis for an open 3 then I'm all for that. I want the ball in Gibbs hands, be shooting or setting someone up, with the game on the line. Next in line to handle the ball would be Hamilton, for me. Wildcard is Adams, has been very clutch in his career thus far. College is obviously a different game but if that gene sticks with him, I wouldn't mind the ball in his hands, even if he is just a freshman.
I agree 100%. I think we start out with Purvis being that guy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Gibbs certainly proved in the last season that he is comfortable and successful when placed in that situation - that is good
The problem lies in the fact that nobody else has proven both the comfort and success.
I would love to see Adams show some of this out of the gate but that may be asking too much, however, I hear confidence is not an issue with him.
DHam would seem to be the natural but he needs to hit that mid range with much more consistancy.
I am hoping that very very few games come down to this.
In KO I trust.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I could envision a situation, let's say, UConn is down 1 with 15 seconds left. KO goes with the small lineup (Gibbs, Adams, RP, DH, and SM), spreads the floor, and Gibbs has the ball. He is doubled, passes to JA with SM setting a screen that he slips and Jalen gets him the ball. Shonn drives the lane and, as the opposing center moves to contest, passes out to Gibbs who hits the open jumper as the buzzer sounds! Or DH gets the ball in an isolation, drives past his man and offers a perfect alley oop to Shonn on the weak side. Or.....

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
The offense should be more balanced than in years past so it shouldn't just be Gibbs dribbling for 12 seconds and hoisting a 3 as time expires a la Shabazz (granted we had pretty good success with that strategy...).

If it's a 2 second inbound situation where someone is basically catching it and getting his shot off then it's probably Gibbs. If it's a 15 second possession you probably let Gibbs or Hamilton (whoever has the better matchup) handle the ball in a pick and roll. Then again if Purvis is playing like he did in the last couple weeks of the season you can't really go wrong with him either. So long as he isn't anywhere near the sideline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom