Men’s National Championship | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men’s National Championship

Reaction Score
We go into the off season with both the men’s and women’s teams ranked #1 in their respective pre-season polls. Looking forward to an exciting year ahead! Yes, 2024, every 10 years we win both championships in the same year!

Reaction Score
This championship is very rewarding for me to see. I remember the days as a student when they only played teams from the New England Universities and a few other schools. For us attending those games in a very old Field House, even those games were thrilling. Now, with pride, it is nice to see UConn as one of the Premier Mens and Womens basketball programs in the US. I am over 80. I am glad that I got to see this one more time.

Reaction Score
I believe duals only come in years ending in 4. Like 2004, 2014, .........2024?
They do, but repeating on the men's side, and increasingly so on the women's side, is basically impossible. With talent being so spread out now, you not only need talent, but also a fair amount of luck.

Reaction Score
Who would have thought in the era of Paige and Azzi so far that the Uconn men's team would win a NC and not the women's team especially since it is much harder to win on the men's side than on the women's side IMO.

Reaction Score
Congrats, Fellas!! That is pretty cool. I think with this win, the fellas are tied with Duke (5) and one behind UNC (6). Not bad. I like to think that UConn men's basketball is a member of the "Blue Bloods". Those historically great basketball teams. Teams like Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Indiana, and UCLA. Oh, and Kansas.

Reaction Score
I didn't know Jordan Hawkins is the cousin of Angel Reese. Hawkins has a really good performance in NC game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm so happy, UConn wins a natty. It's all going up in the same rafters. I cooked a nice steak with red wine and im enjoying all of this!
UConn and “National Champions”. The three words that go so well together. The men are going to try to repeat. I think the women’s team should join them. As we all saw these past 3 weekends, the competition for the national championship is fierce.

Geno does not have to tell our players how hard and tough the competition will be during the March tournament. They all saw and experienced it for themselves. Wipe the slate clean and start the new season fresh at 0-0. Stay as healthy as possible, play with urgency and purpose and have fun. Oh.....and cut down on the turnovers.

Reaction Score
I wouldve liked another dual championship with the women but the men winning is the greatest consolation I could ask for. UCONN is still basketball capital of the world.
Both 20004 and 2014, the men were a year early!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Now, the key is hold on to Dan Hurley. How long until an AD is on his phone blowing $$$ at him.

Reaction Score
Danny Hurley's first head coaching job was at my alma mater, St. Benedict's Prep in Newark. Great to see a Hudson County kid hit it big. I give him a lot of credit. He modified his behavior and changed the team with an emphasis on defense.

Reaction Score
So UConn men's and women's basketball has won 16 of the last 56 national championships if my math is right.
Let's figure from 1995... So 29 years (1995 counts, too). Men's and Women's championships. Total = 58 possible titles. Percentage = 28%... MORE THAN 25 % !!! AMAZING! ALMOST 30 % !
Add Patriot Super Bowls... and a Yale Hockey title (against Quinnipiac)... That's a lot of titles in a small geographic area... Add Celtics and Bruins... Special geography!

Reaction Score
Let's figure from 1995... So 29 years (1995 counts, too). Men's and Women's championships. Total = 58 possible titles. Percentage = 28%... MORE THAN 25 % !!! AMAZING! ALMOST 30 % !
Add Patriot Super Bowls... and a Yale Hockey title (against Quinnipiac)... That's a lot of titles in a small geographic area... Add Celtics and Bruins... Special geography!
there weren't tourneys in 2020 due to Covid which is how I arrived at 56

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The UConn men win the national championship in dominating fashion 76-59!
Unfortunately some people have to be idiots.

Reaction Score
You all are gonna get mad at me, but here goes.

That game was a snooze fest.......Women's game was leaps and bounds more exciting. Even my wife and my sister, who only has a casual interest, said so. They loved the women's final.

Glad UConn won though!

Reaction Score
You all are gonna get mad at me, but here goes.

That game was a snooze fest.......Women's game was leaps and bounds more exciting. Even my wife and my sister, who only has a casual interest, said so. They loved the women's final.

Glad UConn won though!
Both 17 point victories I believe but glad you’re glad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom