Memphis thoughts | The Boneyard

Memphis thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Actually, my first two Memphis thoughts are always dry rub ribs, and Memphis Slim. But as far as tonight's game goes...

1. 11 and 4 is better than 10 and 5.

2. Poor effort on the boards at both ends. 36 rebounds available off Memphis end, and we allowed them to get 16 of them. 35 rebounds available off our rim, we only got 9 of them. End result was a 42 to 29 rebound differential. I know we were dropping two, sometime including a big, as soon as the shot went up to curtail their transition opportunities, but that doesn't explain our poor offensive rebounding.

3. We owned a 42 to 37 percent field goal percentage advantage, and although both teams shot better from three than from two, we shot better than 47% from three to their 42%.

4. Nearly a third of the total points scored tonight came on free throws. It's not a particularly common occurence for both teams to make more FTs than field goals, but that's what we and Memphis did tonight. Then again, maybe it's a Memphis thing. In their loss to South Carolina, the two teams made 76 of 99 free throws, as compared to 37 of 118 field goals.

5. I think the phantom offensive foul call on Hamilton early on -- the first foul call of the game , I think-- may have gotten into DHam's head. It was a beautiful, aggressive move at the end of an end-to-end attack, and he seemed both hurried and indecisive on O for a long while after that, and didn't really seem to get his game back until about 4 or 5 minutes were left in the half.

6. Has Goodwin lost weight? I thought I remembered him being a bit more of a wide body. Regardless, when he was in the game, he was the most effective offensive player on the floor. But he sat for a long while with two 1st half fouls, and while he wasn't in the game, for my money, Purvis was the best player on the floor. At least in the first half. He didn't seem to look for his offense at all in the 2nd half, but continued to play good D.

7. Early on, one of the refs really showed how observant he was. Bounced the ball to Shonn while he was retying his shoe, and hit him in the face with it.

8. Adams 1st bucket was a thing of beauty. We need a lot more of him slicing to the rim.

9. Calhoun's block with about 4 minutes to go in the first half would have been the highlight of the night if Memphis hadn't maintained possession and scored on the ensuing inbounds.

10. Facey played extremely well, and was the second best Husky on the floor tonight!

11. Phil had his best game in two years. Maybe three.

12. How the hell did Goodwin shoot 10 of 11 from the line with his lousy foul shooting form? He starts his motion half crouched with one foot on the line and the other a long step back.

13. Gibbs saved the game, but his tech was also what allowed them to mount their comeback in the first place. Yeah, the ref missed the offense he was reacting to, but as a fifth year guy, he's supposed to be smarter than to make that push right in front of the ref.

Reaction Score
1) Hear, hear
2) Shonn Miller needs to get more than 3 boards. And how often do you see a shot from one of our perimeter guys and then see not a Husky near the basket for a rebound? We suck at O rebounding unless KF is hanging around the rim.
3) Nice stat
4) Refs suck, too many fouls sorry the new rules blow to me. I like the idea of more points but not when it takes time to do it.
5) DHam is struggling period. His all around game seems to be effected by his inability to make a 10 foot shot right now.
6) Nah same size, think he was a wide body as a frosh, maybe soph but has transitioned his body into what you see, a much quicker athlete.
7) Saw that had to laugh, pay attention ref huh?
8) Totally agree, freshman confidence right now love to see him just play
9) Nice block, but Omar needs to make shots when he plays or at least get shots
10) He did, would day 3rd best behind Gibbs and Phil
11) Yep, good timing needed it too
12) 70% FT shooter I was amazed also
13) Glad he showed some passion but could have been a bit less obvious. Memphis kids have the ability to get under yours skin especially Tarrant and Burrell.

Reaction Score
Not sure why Memphis thinks they can mug their way to a win. 2nd game in a row now I watched them try and they lost both. Four players fouling out and their most valuable guard gets dinged up early(did come back but was out for a considerable amount of first half). Yet...it almost worked for them Saturday. That last three point attempt, it looked like the kid got fouled and the refs decided not to call it and just let the game end. Oh well... a win is a win but there was some real chippy play going on. The refs did a decent job of controlling it. It actually looked like a good old fashioned Big East brawl from yesteryear. Their next meeting should be interesting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not sure why Memphis thinks they can mug their way to a win. 2nd game in a row now I watched them try and they lost both. Four players fouling out and their most valuable guard gets dinged up early(did come back but was out for a considerable amount of first half). Yet...it almost worked for them Saturday. That last three point attempt, it looked like the kid got fouled and the refs decided not to call it and just let the game end. Oh well... a win is a win but there was some real chippy play going on. The refs did a decent job of controlling it. It actually looked like a good old fashioned Big East brawl from yesteryear. Their next meeting should be interesting.
I had forgotten what punks that team is. I mean, real punks. It's their thing. Burrell and Goodwin in particular.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I would take a Goodwin any day

I remember when people called us thugs, I loved it
He's a very good player and I've got no problem with tough play. But when you are consciously trying to hurt another player with cheap play, and hurting your own team with stupid fouls, someone needs to reign it in. If he played within himself they win that game. I'm glad he didn't.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He's a very good player and I've got no problem with tough play. But when you are consciously trying to hurt another player with cheap play, and hurting your own team with stupid fouls, someone needs to reign it in. If he played within himself they win that game. I'm glad he didn't.
He wasn't trying to hurt another player? I would argue that Miller commits more asinine fouls than Shaq does.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He wasn't trying to hurt another player? I would argue that Miller commits more asinine fouls than Shaq does.
I'm talking about the suspension he got for tripping a South Carolina player a few games ago--while Goodwin wasn't even playing. And he was pulled from the starting lineup vs. Tulane for some internal disciplinary matter. Not saying we've never had any of those, but tripping a guy while you're on the bench and getting suspended for it is a whole 'nother level of punk imo. Not sure he can get it out of him though--it is part of his game.

Reaction Score
I loved how it took him like 4 minutes to get off the court after fouling out. I think the coach has 20 seconds to make a change or something? This dude had a 20 second hug with each teammate ran from baseline baseline did some jumping jacks I think applied for a mortgage then made his way to the bench.

Reaction Score
We are asking a lot of Miller on the boards. He is usually playing against bigger and stronger players and doesn't have a lot of rebounding help. Maybe we will turn into a decent rebounding team latter in the season but I just don't see it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I loved how it took him like 4 minutes to get off the court after fouling out. I think the coach has 20 seconds to make a change or something? This dude had a 20 second hug with each teammate ran from baseline baseline did some jumping jacks I think applied for a mortgage then made his way to the bench.
Rocket Mortgage?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I would take a Goodwin any day

I remember when people called us thugs, I loved it

Only called us thugs. And if we heard 'em, we'd beat the spit out of them.

Reaction Score
The first foul on Hamilton was the correct call. You can't extend your off arm to create space that's an offensive foul and that's exactly what he did. Happened directly in front of me.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Rebounding is definitely still an issue for us... The fact that we knew the ball was going to Goodwin in the 2h and still couldn't do anything but foul was frustrating.. I like that Gibbs is finding his shot. Hamilton should get out of this funk soon.. Purvis needs to be more aggressive throughout the game... Biggest disappointment was the crowd; numbers weren't awful but it was kind of dead in there and even the student section was pretty dead throughout the game...

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Biggest disappointment was the crowd; numbers weren't awful but it was kind of dead in there and even the student section was pretty dead throughout the game...
From TV, the crowd seemed to be pretty good at the end. I was very surprised at the number of empty seats down low near the middle though. Finally saw some people moving into them who clearly had been sitting somewhere else and realized the same thing.

Reaction Score
Rebounding is definitely still an issue for us... The fact that we knew the ball was going to Goodwin in the 2h and still couldn't do anything but foul was frustrating.. I like that Gibbs is finding his shot. Hamilton should get out of this funk soon.. Purvis needs to be more aggressive throughout the game... Biggest disappointment was the crowd; numbers weren't awful but it was kind of dead in there and even the student section was pretty dead throughout the game...
Huh? I was at the game and the students were loud the whole game and pretty full. The crowd was decent. Kind of quiet in the first half but definitely into the game in the second half.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The first foul on Hamilton was the correct call. You can't extend your off arm to create space that's an offensive foul and that's exactly what he did. Happened directly in front of me.
I've watched the play over and over, and I just don't see it. He changed speed and slid about 2 feet to his right. Crawford actually tried to slide right to get a leg in front of him, and DHam avoided contact completely as far as I could see.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
What I can't figure out is why three guys are taking off on a fast break before the ball hits the rim.
Purvis, especially, should always defensive rebound. He is a strong kid and can jump.
Ollie should require him to always hit defensive board. And I know he is our best player on the break. But, I think he could get six boards a game on the defensive end.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I'm talking about the suspension he got for tripping a South Carolina player a few games ago--while Goodwin wasn't even playing. And he was pulled from the starting lineup vs. Tulane for some internal disciplinary matter. Not saying we've never had any of those, but tripping a guy while you're on the bench and getting suspended for it is a whole 'nother level of punk imo. Not sure he can get it out of him though--it is part of his game.
You could say the same thing about Rod Sellers.

Reaction Score
Just a note on the free throws and the time that game took.
I worked out last night , I left at the half ,in such a hurry I forgot my Phone
So I got on the elliptical machine and watched the last 10 -15 minutes on its TV.
I didn't bother with headphones ,it's better that way.
With all the fouls I ended up doing 45 minutes about 2 miles.
This wasn't suppose to be a cardio day. It was a light back workout. Since I was wearing a heart rate monitor I checked in at about 160 That more due to the game than the workout. . If UConn blew that game I probably would have been over 200 and my wife would be making arrangements to fly my body back to Conn.
I did lose 1.5 lbs though

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
No, I couldn't.
I don't understand how you say that Shaq Goodwin is a punk and a dirty player but disagree with Rod Sellers. I would say neither are dirty, but very emotional and tough. Huge difference.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't understand how you say that Shaq Goodwin is a punk and a dirty player but disagree with Rod Sellers. I would say neither are dirty, but very emotional and tough. Huge difference.
What Sellers did was a public service. And in any event, he did it while he was actually in the game, and he did it to a guy with the well-earned and documented reputation as one of the dirtiest college players ever.

I think Burrell is dirty and agree that Goodwin is a bit different. Still not quite right in the head though imo. The officials seemed to be talking to him about it from the start, telling him to pipe down. Burrell is much sneakier and more calculating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom