Memphis thoughts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Memphis thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Huh? I was at the game and the students were loud the whole game and pretty full. The crowd was decent. Kind of quiet in the first half but definitely into the game in the second half.
Numbers werent bad even though I thought it would be more with the prices I was seeing for resell.. But the student section only had like the first 4 rows actually making noise on defense... It was pretty weak..

Reaction Score
No issue with any of the Memphis players, they play hard and know that they can push our players around to a degree. Nice to get the W, this team still needs lot of game experience. The last 2 minutes of the first half cost us a nice little locker room lead which should of been like 6-8 points. But again, great to get the W.

Reaction Score
I've watched the play over and over, and I just don't see it. He changed speed and slid about 2 feet to his right. Crawford actually tried to slide right to get a leg in front of him, and DHam avoided contact completely as far as I could see.

If you watch tcf game replay its at the 1:40 mark. You can't see it from the replay because a Memphis defender is screening the camera.

At that point, and in the replay you can see this, around the foul line Hamilton extends his arm and gives the defender a forearm top create space. It was clear as day from where I was sitting. Happened right in front of me

Reaction Score
I actually tweeted Shaq to say great game and that I respect his team and to wish him luck the rest of the season (except against us). I do that periodically if an opposing player has a huge game against us (unless it's a Puke or Cuse player). For the first time I got a response. He favorited it and said "All love Mike, I appreciate it!" Pretty cool of him, every other time it's gone ignored. Remember, these are 18-21 year old kids we are talking about at the end of the day.

caw

Reaction Score
Goodwin seems like a bit of a knucklehead but also a dude who just has fun playing ball.

Reaction Score
I will say you can tell from his positive attitude that he is probably a good dude most of the time. Unfortunately there is just something so irritating about a guy going off on your team and making a big display of himself.

Reaction Score
The only way UConn was going to win last night was if he fouled out, because the kid was unstoppable down the stretch. Classic kid that you hate playing against but would love if he was on your team.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I really like Shaq Goodwin. Kid has a non-stop motor.

Reaction Score
Numbers werent bad even though I thought it would be more with the prices I was seeing for resell.. But the student section only had like the first 4 rows actually making noise on defense... It was pretty weak..
I guessing we were watching different games as the whole bottom student section was cheering on the team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He wasn't trying to hurt another player? I would argue that Miller commits more asinine fouls than Shaq does.
Just wondering - from reading some of your postings - do you have something against SM?

Reaction Score
I don't understand how you say that Shaq Goodwin is a punk and a dirty player but disagree with Rod Sellers. I would say neither are dirty, but very emotional and tough. Huge difference.
Rod was examined by a neurologist, who diagnosed temporary damage to the part of the brain responsible for self control. His actions were consistent with those of virtually all test subjects under simulated conditions. If any of you were concussed by a Christian Laettner blow to the head, you would react very much like Rod did. UCONN made the tape available, but the press never showed it.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Just wondering - from reading some of your postings - do you have something against SM?
No, most of my frustrations with Shonn come with him on the defensive end. Reaches in always, isn't that great of a defensive rebounder for his position. Despite this, he needs to get more touches on the offensive end. Him and Facey both - it'll open up the floor for our guards if we go down low more often.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No, most of my frustrations with Shonn come with him on the defensive end. Reaches in always, isn't that great of a defensive rebounder for his position. Despite this, he needs to get more touches on the offensive end. Him and Facey both - it'll open up the floor for our guards if we go down low more often.
I watched him a lot on defense last game and thought he defended pretty well on all assignments, and was especially effective on their guards on the perimeter in a few sequences. I think he's a pretty versatile player.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I watched him a lot on defense last game and thought he defended pretty well on all assignments, and was especially effective on their guards on the perimeter in a few sequences. I think he's a pretty versatile player.
He can defend a few positions, but in general he's very slow. He gets burned by quicker guards off screens and that's when he usually reaches out with his hand. If he had better positioning, like you pointed out, it would neutralize his need to excessively reach in. Quick feet!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What Sellers did was a public service. And in any event, he did it while he was actually in the game, and he did it to a guy with the well-earned and documented reputation as one of the dirtiest college players ever.
...who previously had stomped on his chest. In any event, it was a love tap. The picture made it look worse than it actually was.

SellersSmashsLaettner.jpg

Now watch what actually happened -

The picture was taken at 26 seconds in on the video while Sellers was diving for the ball. Sellers goes over Laettner to go for the ball. The crop of the picture makes it look like Seller is focused on Laettner but follow his eyes and you can see he's looking over Laettner's head. The look of terror on Laettner's face and anger on Sellers is coincidental. Now the little extracurricular head shove that happens at the 30 second mark is worth a foul, but isn't a patch on the crap Laettner did every game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He can defend a few positions, but in general he's very slow. He gets burned by quicker guards off screens and that's when he usually reaches out with his hand.

He's a 6-8 power forward. I don't think he's remotely slow for his size and position.

Reaction Score
He can defend a few positions, but in general he's very slow. He gets burned by quicker guards off screens and that's when he usually reaches out with his hand. If he had better positioning, like you pointed out, it would neutralize his need to excessively reach in. Quick feet!
Slow? He is the most athletic player on the team next to JA. Now he might be slow in recognizing things on defense but definitely has the foot speed to keep up with a lot of players. Very athletic player!

Reaction Score

He's our best on ball post defender. There was also 2 or 3 play sequence where he defended Goodwin in the post and forced a bad shot and then a play or two later got switched onto Crawford (a guard) and stayed with him and forced another bad shot (actually had his hand directly in his face). Announcers even made comment of how versatile he is on the defensive end.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

Shonn is the best team defense player on our team. I think it was the Temple game where he saved our butt time after time.
With Shaq, I felt bad for him. He was over-matched and Shaq was killing him. But, as I said elsewhere, I don't know why we continued to play small when Shaq was killing us. Miller needed help.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I thought the crowd was loud,

And Shaq aggravated me ar first, then I almost appreciated his humor. Certainly a guy you'd love to have on your side.

Anyone else catch Shaq's pregame, throwing elbows ritual?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
He's a 6-8 power forward. I don't think he's remotely slow for his size and position.
Slow? He is the most athletic player on the team next to JA. Now he might be slow in recognizing things on defense but definitely has the foot speed to keep up with a lot of players. Very athletic player!
He's our best on ball post defender. There was also 2 or 3 play sequence where he defended Goodwin in the post and forced a bad shot and then a play or two later got switched onto Crawford (a guard) and stayed with him and forced another bad shot (actually had his hand directly in his face). Announcers even made comment of how versatile he is on the defensive end.
Shonn is the best team defense player on our team. I think it was the Temple game where he saved our butt time after time.
With Shaq, I felt bad for him. He was over-matched and Shaq was killing him. But, as I said elsewhere, I don't know why we continued to play small when Shaq was killing us. Miller needed help.
Watch his feet. He's laterally slow. He's quick up and down, so you are correct there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom