Memphis Recruiting | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Memphis Recruiting

Reaction Score
If we don't get precious I hope Memphis does. The AAC NCAA tourney performances have been laughable. We need a media circus team in the league and that will not be UConn next year. A good UConn/Mem/WSU/Hou/SMU will be a rising tide for the conference.

That said, and to the point of the thread, you can't not be suspicious of some shenanigans. There's part of me that wants to murder the teams who have blatantly handed bags of money to players while UConn has lost a ton of scollys on nickle-dimer violations, and part of me could care less and wants to just watch basketball and forget about the sausage making. Given I want Memphis to be good I'll stick with the presumption of innocence on this one.

Reaction Score
Lol if they get precious and trendon watford that’s 9 incoming studs geeeeez

Reaction Score
Having two programs that can recruit the absolute best talent puts the American firmly in the top 4-5 conferences. The NBE really only has Nova. The Pac has Cronin at UCLA, which should be interesting going forward.
Memphis is "recruiting like Memphis again," and with the conference now solidly 6th in revenue with twice the exposure/revenue as Conference #7, the tides are flowing the right way.
This is a good article. UConn benefits by a strong Memphis.

Reaction Score
Per 247 Memphis now has the best recruiting class coming into the season.

It’s great for the conference.

Should be telling how Penny does as a coach.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Not even sure this is possible but Alabama newspaper predicting Watford to Memphis today:

Reaction Score
I think there were predictions that if Memphis didn't get Precious Memphis would probably get Trendon. At least how it was being reported by a local sports shows. Now it just doesn't make any sense. Also the 247 predictions haven't changed from 94% LSU. Typically if there was a chance for another school you would see some leaks ... some change in the predictions this close to deciding.

Reaction Score
Not even sure this is possible but Alabama newspaper predicting Watford to Memphis today:

They don't have the schollie unless Tucker stays in the draft.

Reaction Score
Penny's son will move off scholarship.
Makes sense, anyone know the rules around this? With free tuition, and the fact that Penny is certainly wealthy, it’s not like his kid needs the scholarship to pay for college. I think this is the mostly likely situation. But I guess we’ll see later today with watford

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Makes sense, anyone know the rules around this? With free tuition, and the fact that Penny is certainly wealthy, it’s not like his kid needs the scholarship to pay for college. I think this is the mostly likely situation. But I guess we’ll see later today with watford
@businesslawyer so if he moves off scholarship does free tuition count as aid.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Of course Memphis is paying recruits. All of the top programs do to land these top recruits, except us for some reason. Don't want to lose our perfect APR rating...that would be the true tragedy.

Reaction Score
@businesslawyer so if he moves off scholarship does free tuition count as aid.

If free tuition counted as aid, he'd likely just pay his own way, because Penny has a net worth of $50 million and is making a couple mil a year.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Of course Memphis is paying recruits. All of the top programs do to land these top recruits, except us for some reason. Don't want to lose our perfect APR rating...that would be the true tragedy.

Sadly, it's like a repeat of our early years in the old Big East. We hadn't learned how to compete in the recruiting game. Our other Big East brethren were all cheating their asses off. Meanwhile, we were still trying to maintain academic standards as if we were Harvard or Yale. As recently as Calhoun's first season we disqualified Gamble and Robinson for failing to meet UCONN's own academic standard, even though they were both NCAA compliant. We repeatedly torpedoed our own program in the interest of academic integrity, resulting in getting clobbered on the court.

We started having success when we began playing that game like everybody else was at that time, admitting marginal qualifiers and perhaps even non-qualifiers with some "creative transcripting."

The same thing is going on now, only it's shoe company $$$ instead of academics. It always seems to take us several years longer than everybody else to wise up.

Reaction Score
That rayjon Tucker may stay in the NBA draft is beginning to look more likely according to people here in Memphis. If he does stay in the draft if it's already has someone else in mind not RJ Hampton.

Reaction Score
Sadly, it's like a repeat of our early years in the old Big East. We hadn't learned how to compete in the recruiting game. Our other Big East brethren were all cheating their asses off. Meanwhile, we were still trying to maintain academic standards as if we were Harvard or Yale. As recently as Calhoun's first season we disqualified Gamble and Robinson for failing to meet UCONN's own academic standard, even though they were both NCAA compliant. We repeatedly torpedoed our own program in the interest of academic integrity, resulting in getting clobbered on the court.

We started having success when we began playing that game like everybody else was at that time, admitting marginal qualifiers and perhaps even non-qualifiers with some "creative transcripting."

The same thing is going on now, only it's shoe company $$$ instead of academics. It always seems to take us several years longer than everybody else to wise up.
The difference is if UConn gets caught it’s all over......They don’t slap UConn on the wrist

Reaction Score
Rayjon Tucker staying in the draft

Attachments

• 567CC26E-721B-463E-844F-0995E5A277E6.png
    567CC26E-721B-463E-844F-0995E5A277E6.png
    107 KB · Views: 90

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads