Memphis looks to host new conference MBB/WBB Tourney | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Memphis looks to host new conference MBB/WBB Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
New York would be a terrible idea. This is not a northeastern conference, and Barclays would be a ghost town, which would be juxtaposed against a full MSG from the C7's tournament going on simultaneously and make the league look weak. We have to play the tournament in whatever arena can sell the most tickets. Memphis is not terrible, nor is Orlando.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
New York would be a terrible idea. This is not a northeastern conference, and Barclays would be a ghost town, which would be juxtaposed against a full MSG from the C7's tournament going on simultaneously and make the league look weak. We have to play the tournament in whatever arena can sell the most tickets. Memphis is not terrible, nor is Orlando.
I'm still not buying that the C7 are going to pack MSG. How many of the remaining teams sent tons of fans? Will it be more filled than the NBE in Brooklyn, probably, but I don't think, for a second, that it will be packed or have the sam atmosphere that it used to have when the REAL Big East existed.

Reaction Score
I'm still not buying that the C7 are going to pack MSG. How many of the remaining teams sent tons of fans? Will it be more filled than the NBE in Brooklyn, probably, but I don't think, for a second, that it will be packed or have the sam atmosphere that it used to have when the REAL Big East existed.
I've thought about this as well. Syracuse and UCONN traditionally brought the most fans to the building. Pitt brought a lot as well. Rutgers had some. All gone.

So that leaves you with St. Johns, Georgetown and Nova to fill the building. Providence, DePaul, Seton Hall and Marquette aren't bringing anyone. And I doubt Butler, Xavier or CREIGHTON are going to fill the building. I think people who think the C7 and MSG are a perfect match are in for a rude awakening.

Reaction Score
I've thought about this as well. Syracuse and UCONN traditionally brought the most fans to the building. Pitt brought a lot as well. Rutgers had some. All gone.

So that leaves you with St. Johns, Georgetown and Nova to fill the building. Providence, DePaul, Seton Hall and Marquette aren't bringing anyone. And I doubt Butler, Xavier or CREIGHTON are going to fill the building. I think people who think the C7 and MSG are a perfect match are in for a rude awakening.
For the final, the only way it's crowded is if locals can buy the tix off of the losing fans, who leave. UCONN, ST Johns, Cuse did that. Rutgers and Seton Hall theoretically could, but how would we ever know?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

It will be okay for a while, but once the novelty of wearing big boy pants wears off it will be an issue.

For our new league "The Beast" we should rotate it for a while and start in Hartford as a partial pay back for our being screwed out of the BET this year.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

What difference does it make whether MSG is full or half full or three quarters full or five eighths full? Barclays would still be empty.

Reaction Score
What difference does it make whether MSG is full or half full or three quarters full or five eighths full? Barclays would still be empty.

Unless Georgetown or St. John's earns its keep you'll probably find more fans at Barclays if A12 ever held it there. I'm assuming Temple and UConn will be in the semifinals every year.

Reaction Score
This topic brings to clarity one of the real sad issues resulting from conference realignment. When conferences were primarily based in specific geographic regions, one could make tournaments and away games with minimal travel. Look at the Big East. Originally, all of the teams were from Boston to DC. Pretty easy to get everyone to attend the conference tournaments. Now with the disperse geographic range of most of the conferences that benefit no longer is available. My thought is the only viable options are 1) rotate the tournament venues which may be fair, but not the most economically beneficial option or 2) contract with a site that people wouldn't mind vacationing to such as FL (beaches, Disney, etc,) or NYC (Manhattan or Brooklyn, it's still the Big Apple). The second option would also allow for more continuity and could be modified by doing one year Fl, the next year NYC.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Philadelphia would be a good option for me

I'm thinking the tournament may rotate, and I wouldn't want it in Hartford. The arena is pathetic

maybe the Mohegan Sun would be a good option for us, or Barclay's in Brooklyn

Reaction Score
I really want to see it in Hartford next year especially since Louisville will still be in the conference for one last go around. UConn, Louisville, Cincy, and Memphis would be a good semi-final round to see.

Reaction Score
Is the Memphis arena right in downtown so you can walk to bars/restaurants, hotels?

I have to say Hartford is pretty awesome in that regard.

Philly has nothing around it except a Holiday Inn.
Yes, FedEx is at the end of Beale Street. All bars and restaurants are in immediate walking distance. As someone who lived in Memphis for 5 years and lived and grew up in Hartford, Memphis blows Hartford outta the water when it comes to food, bars and entertainment.

Peabody, Doubletree and Madison are all within walking distance and are all very good hotels. Madison is great.

Reaction Score
Yes, FedEx is at the end of Beale Street. All bars and restaurants are in immediate walking distance. As someone who lived in Memphis for 5 years and lived and grew up in Hartford, Memphis blows Hartford outta the water when it comes to food, bars and entertainment.

Peabody, Doubletree and Madison are all within walking distance and are all very good hotels. Madison is great.

Cool. I would like to check that out. I understand Hartford's limitations, but I'll still take it over anything that is has to be driven to, and is not in a walkable downtown type neighborhood.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Almost every city I've been to beats Hartford for food, bars and entertainment. Even New Haven. So Memphis must be miles ahead. Next year in Hartford is fine for our swan song, but after that, Memphis, NOLA, Orlando would be the most logical spots. Like that it is a block from Beale. Memphis is probably the closest to the geographic center of the conference as well.

Reaction Score
Almost every city I've been to beats Hartford for food, bars and entertainment. Even New Haven. So Memphis must be miles ahead. Next year in Hartford is fine for our swan song, but after that, Memphis, NOLA, Orlando would be the most logical spots. Like that it is a block from Beale. Memphis is probably the closest to the geographic center of the conference as well.
Also, the Memphis Tigers are HUGE in Memphis, so the city would be full of buz, which is one thing that made MSG great. It is also one thing this conference needs. It is a city that loves basketball. I feel like if it was in Tampa or Orlando the area would be dead.

Reaction Score
Also, the Memphis Tigers are HUGE in Memphis, so the city would be full of buz, which is one thing that made MSG great. It is also one thing this conference needs. It is a city that loves basketball. I feel like if it was in Tampa or Orlando the area would be dead.

I went to the first two rounds of the NCAAs in 2004 in Orlando. There was a half empty building and no buzz what so ever. The golf was good though.

Reaction Score
I would consider an NIT type arrangement except give the higher seeded teams the home games through out. Would be a big advantage for having better regular season record, which it should be. Have one day off in between for travel. Expect each game would have a rocking home court crowd and advantage.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This is the best argument for Memphis over Dallas, NOLA, Orlando or Houston. None of our league opponents in those places draw well for basketball.

Reaction Score
Except the C7 isn't selling out either. Especially if St Johns goes out early. If you think Creighton-Seton Hall is a dreamed of matchup, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe a Georgetown St Johns or Georgetown-Butler type matchup fills the place. Most others that don't include Georgetown,St Johns or maybe Villanova not so much.

Reaction Score
I went to the first two rounds of the NCAAs in 2004 in Orlando. There was a half empty building and no buzz what so ever. The golf was good though.

For the first couple rounds, the BET at MSG was often dead.

Reaction Score

I was in Orlando over Christmas break. Tickets to Magic games (in a weekend where the parks were JAMMED with tourists) were going for $10. No way it should go there.

Reaction Score
I was in Orlando over Christmas break. Tickets to Magic games (in a weekend where the parks were JAMMED with tourists) were going for $10. No way it should go there.
Tampa or Orlando would be a disaster.

Reaction Score
"The remaining Big East schools are considering new sites for next year's tournament, including Hartford, Conn.; Memphis, Tenn.; Cincinnati and Dallas."

Hartford would be a good way to give UConn and the state more visibility. People in other areas of the country have no idea how historic Hartford really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom