Memphis looks to host new conference MBB/WBB Tourney | The Boneyard

Memphis looks to host new conference MBB/WBB Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.commercialappeal.com/new...-football-basketball-breakup/?partner=popular

"Athletic director Tom Bowen said Friday that the Tigers will pursue hosting the 2014 men’s and women’s basketball tournaments for the yet-to-be-named conference that it’s joining on July 1. That’s little surprise, of course, and a Memphis bid including FedExForum would figure to have a solid shot at hosting the event."

C

Chief00

Given the conference, hard to argue. An NBA arena and a major corporate sponsor.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
And Memphis continues its home court advantage in conference tourneys, why should that change?

Reaction Score
Not that any venue will draw well for that tournament, but I have a hard time seeing fans flocking to Memphis, Tennessee.

Never mind the women's tourney. That thing will draw in the hundreds if its held anywhere but Hartford.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Still if you are not in Connecticut, Memphis (especially plus FedEx) is > Hartford.

Reaction Score
With UConn's equity, the 1st tourney should be in Hartford. Take it wherever they wish after that. Hopefully we won't be there in 2014-15.

Reaction Score
Upstater, you have mentioned this before and I agree with you. Do we know is Barclay's has an out in the contract?

Reaction Score
Upstater, you have mentioned this before and I agree with you. Do we know is Barclay's has an out in the contract?

No, I have no idea. I figured they did because MSG has such an out.

Reaction Score
No, I have no idea. I figured they did because MSG has such an out.
I agree they should, just haven't seen it anywhere. Brooklyn would want a 3-5 year commitment, which would be fine with UCONN, but other teams (i.e. Memphis) may not agree to this.

Reaction Score
This will be a good indicator of where we think our future lies. If we don't fight hard to have Hartford host, that says something. Watch for how the conversation goes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Looking at it strictly from a convenience to all conference members and for an entertainment stand point, Memphis is the best spot for the tourney. If you have to spend five days eating/sleeping and drinking it up, Memphis beats Hartford every day.

Reaction Score
Looking at it strictly from a convenience to all conference members and for an entertainment stand point, Memphis is the best spot for the tourney. If you have to spend five days eating/sleeping and drinking it up, Memphis beats Hartford every day.

HeresyYG.jpg

Reaction Score
The A-10 is about to lose Temple and 4 other top teams. I'd say Barclay's is looking for an out. It would be stupid beyond belief if they didn't call Barclay's.

No kidding.

You'll never make everyone happy in this, so you might as well choose a world class venue.

Reaction Score
This will be a good indicator of where we think our future lies. If we don't fight hard to have Hartford host, that says something. Watch for how the conversation goes.

There's that quiet confidence again. Works every time!

Thanks. Monitoring.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
If it's gotta be in a city not named Hartford and have some relevance to the new conference, I'd rather see it in Philly than Memphis. Potentially better for recruiting at least.

Brooklyn just sounds like sloppy seconds to MSG.

Reaction Score
I'd prefer Philly over Brooklyn. Brooklyn isn't that easy to travel to if you're flying in for the weekend. Memphis is not a bad location, although it would mean I'll probably never go. In reality they should probably rotate it. It would be fun to plan an annual trip to watch a bball tournament where the location changes, but is known a few years in advance.

Reaction Score
Is the Memphis arena right in downtown so you can walk to bars/restaurants, hotels?

I have to say Hartford is pretty awesome in that regard.

Philly has nothing around it except a Holiday Inn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There's that quiet confidence again. Works every time!

Thanks. Monitoring.
Well, next time for sure!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd prefer Philly over Brooklyn. Brooklyn isn't that easy to travel to if you're flying in for the weekend. Memphis is not a bad location, although it would mean I'll probably never go. In reality they should probably rotate it. It would be fun to plan an annual trip to watch a bball tournament where the location changes, but is known a few years in advance.

Polishing the turd, but you are correct. The BE will have more fun cities to travel to for the tourney. Memphis, New Orleans, Houston, Dallas, Orlando, Tampa even Philly. All good cities for five days of hedonism.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't see why they'd move the women's tournament from Hartford....there's no other team that pulls enough fans to fill more than 1,000 seats in this new conference. I doubt many UConn fans will travel to Memphis to watch this tournament when they'd rather save their money for travel to the Regionals and Final 4. Having it in Hartford, for at least women's basketball, would sell enough tickets to have it.

Reaction Score

???

Everything is direct to Brooklyn, no stopovers, and cheaper too.

Reaction Score
How about Orlando Tampa(Would be great as we have had great fortune there). Memphis no way. That crime ridden hell hole I want to stay as far away as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom