Memphis has 3 scholarships left | The Boneyard

Memphis has 3 scholarships left

Reaction Score
Yeah and Lester Quinones I think but I haven’t followed him too closely

Reaction Score
In a Forbes article published yesterday and written by Adam Zagoria Penny said that Memphis has four scholarships available for 2019

Reaction Score
He’d be huge. IMO more ready than Achiuwa, Jeffries, and Watford to make an impact from game 1.

Reaction Score
If Boogie goes to Memphis, what’s that mean for Lester.... and consequently PA?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

First, let’s begin with the current roster. The Tigers have three available scholarships, but that number should soon grow by one. David Wingett Jr., a gifted shooter who was injured during his entire freshman season, is expected to transfer in the coming days. As of Wednesday morning, he was not in the transfer portal, but he’s back home in Winnebago, Neb. Given the prospects Memphis is involved with, it’s increasingly hard to see Wingett getting any minutes next season. A transfer would give him a fresh opportunity and free up a valuable fourth scholarship for the Tigers.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

First, let’s begin with the current roster. The Tigers have three available scholarships, but that number should soon grow by one. David Wingett Jr., a gifted shooter who was injured during his entire freshman season, is expected to transfer in the coming days. As of Wednesday morning, he was not in the transfer portal, but he’s back home in Winnebago, Neb. Given the prospects Memphis is involved with, it’s increasingly hard to see Wingett getting any minutes next season. A transfer would give him a fresh opportunity and free up a valuable fourth scholarship for the Tigers.
Wingett is better than Precious and pretty much every other player ever though.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Memphis is clearing out all the players who are taking up scholarships to add much better players to the roster, something many on our board don't want Hurley to do.

Because Hurley himself does not want to push out players who want to be here. We trust Hurley's judgment and experience in building a program the right way more so than your opinion.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Memphis is clearing out all the players who are taking up scholarships to add much better players to the roster, something many on our board don't want Hurley to do.

Clear spots and get who? Precious has a spot and the other top grade talent in this class isn't on our radars. Hurley has a plan. You yourself have said on here many times that this rebuild will be a multi-year process. Let's let him establish a strong base for this program with his culture and the talent will follow (it's already coming).

Let's see not only how Memphis does next year, but if they can build a successful program for the long run. We know Hurley can build a program for the long run, and it starts with establishing a strong team culture. If his method isn't broke, no need to fix it. Patience. Patience. Patience.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
Penny = assembling a team for next year
Danny = rebuilding a program for the future

Right now the only player on our team that's one and done is Wiseman. If we add Precious that's two. I don't think Boogie Ellis is a one-and-done player. If we get RJ Hampton that would be three but I don't see RJ coming if we get Boogie, Lester Quinones, and Rajaon Tucker (grad transfer). I think they stick with Lester because he may also bring Precious. We will see shortly, Lester is scheduled to announce and sign May 10th. So we will have a couple a one-and-done players I hope and the rest will be multi-year. Short-term and long-term building as I see it.

Reaction Score
I'm afraid scholarships aren't going to be a problem for Memphis. Last week, Penny said he had four scholarships remaining. It's been long rumored that David Wingett is transferring which would free up the 4th. Also, Penny's son holds a BB scholarship. I've read that Penny's children can attend Memphis tuition-free (and he must have big bucks anyway) so in a pinch he could come up with a 5th scholly.

With four players already committed, even with one-and-dones, would you want a class size of 7-9 freshmen?!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Right now the only player on our team that's one and done is Wiseman. If we add Precious that's two. I don't think Boogie Ellis is a one-and-done player. If we get RJ Hampton that would be three but I don't see RJ coming if we get Boogie, Lester Quinones, and Rajaon Tucker (grad transfer). I think they stick with Lester because he may also bring Precious. We will see shortly, Lester is scheduled to announce and sign May 10th. So we will have a couple a one-and-done players I hope and the rest will be multi-year. Short-term and long-term building as I see it.

Some really nice players could be a very good team. Some really unhappy players who will transfer also, he will tend to be Calipari for a while then realize maybe it's nice to bring kids in who get experience, stay so they can actually win a title. For now scary team, but scary team to coach to in so many ways. Kids don't go there to red shirt and play 8 minutes and some will. And those that you hope will stay will leave when you recruit over them. Hey I'm jealous in many ways of the talent but I prefer the way Hurley will get it done hopefully.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom