Memphis Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Memphis Game Thread

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game and thought it was a terrific tribute to the seniors. The place was filled and it was a great atmosphere. Having seen many of these, I was expecting the tears to start flowing but I was wrong. Also expected a slow start but what could be better than a 4 point play by Lou with an assist from Lawlor? (OK, visa versa would have been better!)

Lou was amazing tonight - obviously her three was working big time, but also her all around game, scoring in a variety of ways, passing (especially her long pass to Saniya), everything. 29 in 26 minutes, and I think she had 8 in the first minute and a half ! Wow, is she ever having fun out there! When asked after the game about her shooting, Geno said she needed to just keep shooting, it would come around. Sounds obvious, but quite sure many coaches would have overreacted and, in Geno`s words, made things worse. So, he knows when to coach, but he also knows when to back off. These young women are so fortunate to be playing for him.

Surprised that Huskies came out in zone today, and played it for much of the game. And played it very well! I don`t know if anyone asked Geno about it after the game, whether it was just a Memphis game-specific thing or not. I would say that it may make some sense going forward (at least for stretches) in that it may be less taxing than man to man, allowing starters to play more minutes without getting gassed, and also maybe less fouls - 11 for the game, but only 5 for the starters and NONE for Collier and Williams. Let`s see what they come out in against USF, a good outside shooting team.

I was thinking that Napheesa was a little off, but then see the line score and she was 9 for 13! We (or at least, I) have come to expect that she is going to make every shot she takes! What a player, just fabulous.

Not a big night for Gabby, but not a bad night by any means. She was involved throughout, 8, 10 and 5, and I thought it was just a case where the ball didn`t find her very often on the offensive end, especially early on when Lou and Napheesa were dominating the offense. She had a strong take to the hoop with her left (love that move!) and although I think she missed some mid-range jumpers, I am glad she is taking them as they should be there for her as we go deep into the tournament. She also looks good taking them, if you know what I mean.

Crystal made some great plays and some bad ones, it seemed like a microcosm of her season. The talent is there. And Natalie, a game where she did some cringeworthy things, missed some bunnies, but at the end of the day, 9 points, 9 rebounds, 3 assists and 2 blocks. She got a lot of rebounds in traffic today, passed the ball well, and played hard. Saniya continues to be a solid performer, 3 threes, 14 points and 7 assists.

Watched the SNY post game show when I got home. Must say I have grown to really like Kara Wolters. She is smart, funny, animated, and knows her stuff.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It looked like I saw Andra Espinoza-Hunter in the stands behind the Uconn bench.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Dangerfield was pretty solid today. I still don't get the long threes. But she looked "comfortable."

Gus, I'm only guessing here, but, I guessing that Crystal has been told by Geno not to force anything, but.......................if she has a clean open look from beyond the arc, to take it. If you noticed, all of the 3's she's taken lately have all been wide open looks, or the shot clock was about to expire. I'm sure she understands that (as yet) she is not Geno's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice to take a three. Right now, Lou, Kia & Saniya have that distinction.

Carnac

Reaction Score
She looked good today. No hesitation before she shot or passed the ball. Good to see. It's the right time that she and the rest of the team starting peaking.

Just about. I'd like to see them peaking beginning the 3rd game of the tournament (the round of 16). That's when the real rubber will begin to meet the road. ALL of the weaker teams will have been eliminated by then. Last year, most of the sweet 16 teams finished the regular season ranked in the top 25. All of your mid-majors, and at-large bids have been sent home. That's when the staff should really begin to tighten the screws.

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Gus, I'm only guessing here, but, I guessing that Crystal has been told by Geno not to force anything, but........if she has a clean open look from beyond the arc, to take it. If you noticed, all of the 3's she's taken lately have all been wide open looks, or the shot clock was about to expire. I'm sure she understands that (as yet) she is not Geno's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd choice to take a three. Right now, Lou, Kia & Saniya have that distinction.
Well, I certainly agree that most of her attempts have been wide open. I'm OK with her taking the wide open threes, I just wish she were closer in when she launches. But maybe she's setting up where she's supposed to be.

Lou takes a lot of long threes, but KN and SC seem to be closer to the line in general. I could be wrong on that.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well, I certainly agree that most of her attempts have been wide open. I'm OK with her taking the wide open threes, I just wish she were closer in when she launches. But maybe she's setting up where she's supposed to be.

Lou takes a lot of long threes, but KN and SC seem to be closer to the line in general. I could be wrong on that.

It seems to me (at this point), that Crystal is looking to pass first, rather than shoot. However, if their opponent(s) is not guarding (respecting) her, and daring her to shoot, then what's a body to do????? Launch it!! :D Later on, she will look for her shot. Right now, she's just trying to QB the team, not turn the ball over, and facilitate one of her teammates to score.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom