Memphis basketball board. | The Boneyard

Memphis basketball board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
OK- I know we are all going through detox from being addicted to the best basket conference of all time- but it is time to look forward and move on.

I think we need to reach out to the new members in our conference and find out which ones we are going to enjoy playing and which ones will be the "new" Quse and Pc fans. Either way we win and have something to talk about that does not always remind us of the old BE (It's like a super hot- cool girlfriend that moved out of town and did not even bother breaking up with you first-painful).

The main Memphis board is: www.memphisroar.com I started a thread over there inviting them to talk basketball.

Feel free to add any other teams and let the fun begin.

Chive On!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think it's going to be Louisville and Memphis which eventually mainly be Memphis and temple/cinci IMO as our rivals for now

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Is Pastner the worst game coach in basketball? I know Memphis always looks like pickup basketball on both ends, but how does this guy not go deeper in the Tournament with the players he brings in? You would expect at least 1 Sweet 16 run somewhere along the line.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is not a single program in the AAC that would have finished in the Top 4 of the Big East more than once in the last 5 years. We are going to see a really big drop off in hoops.

Reaction Score
^ Hard to argue with that. However if there is one team that could have stepped up their game to compete in the old BE- it is Memphis. When you are the best team in your conference year after year it can be hard to peak at the right time for the NCAA. If most of your games are against cup cakes... well you get the idea.

BTW there are TONS of coaches that could be put in the basket as underachieving - I do not think he is one of them. If you look at the old conference it is a miracle he got the talent he did- as we have learned in the past talent does not always mean success in the post season. I am not sure it is fair putting it all on their coach. I admit I have very little knowledge about Memphis or Temple.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The level of basketball being played in the AAC will be poor. So many bad teams, and a couple tournament ones.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
^ Hard to argue with that. However if there is one team that could have stepped up their game to compete in the old BE- it is Memphis. When you are the best team in your conference year after year it can be hard to peak at the right time for the NCAA. If most of your games are against cup cakes... well you get the idea.

BTW there are TONS of coaches that could be put in the basket as underachieving - I do not think he is one of them. If you look at the old conference it is a miracle he got the talent he did- as we have learned in the past talent does not always mean success in the post season. I am not sure it is fair putting it all on their coach. I admit I have very little knowledge about Memphis or Temple.
Totally agree that in the short term that will be the case, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that several teams could step up and be decent to pretty good in the future...

Memphis as you mentioned, but how about Houston and SMU? Not sure what their facilities are like, but I'd think this is a better chance for those programs to step up. And Temple too. I'm thinking that if USF never got it done while in the BE, it's doubtful they will achieve anything in the AAC. Can't see UCF doing much either. ECU? Tulane? Tulsa? Ugh.

Honestly, there's not a UCONN fan alive who isn't praying for an invite out of this conference, but we have no choice but to make the best of it and hope for the best while we are here...

Reaction Score
I really think we can make the best of it while we are here. I need new teams to hate in the short term at the very least. I have a feeling the Memphis fans will be good ones to interact with and for some reason I think the Temple fans might really be "Pc ish".

Reaction Score
The level of basketball being played in the AAC will be poor. So many bad teams, and a couple tournament ones.

You'd be surprised. Teams like East Carolina and UCF are there with Providence and St. John. Granted, no one was as bad as bad as Houston and SMU, but even Tulane was like DePaul, and Tulsa and UCF could do what Seton Hall did. I see the conference as suffering at the very top--not so much the bottom. It will be hard to reproduce UConn, Syracuse, Louisville and Georgetown from the likes of UConn, Memphis, Cincinnati and Temple.

Reaction Score
Totally agree that in the short term that will be the case, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that several teams could step up and be decent to pretty good in the future...

Memphis as you mentioned, but how about Houston and SMU? Not sure what their facilities are like, but I'd think this is a better chance for those programs to step up. And Temple too. I'm thinking that if USF never got it done while in the BE, it's doubtful they will achieve anything in the AAC. Can't see UCF doing much either. ECU? Tulane? Tulsa? Ugh.

Honestly, there's not a UCONN fan alive who isn't praying for an invite out of this conference, but we have no choice but to make the best of it and hope for the best while we are here...

For me it's reversed. I see more possibility in East Carolina, UCF and Tulsa than I do in SMU and Houston. East Carolina does not play bad basketball at all. They are ahead of Houston and SMU.

Reaction Score
You'd be surprised. Teams like East Carolina and UCF are there with Providence and St. John. Granted, no one was as bad as bad as Houston and SMU, but even Tulane was like DePaul, and Tulsa and UCF could do what Seton Hall did. I see the conference as suffering at the very top--not so much the bottom. It will be hard to reproduce UConn, Syracuse, Louisville and Georgetown from the likes of UConn, Memphis, Cincinnati and Temple.

Do you get miles or something every time you mention ECU? I think I've heard someone refer to East Carolina basketball maybe 5 times in my life and every time was you.

Reaction Score
There is not a single program in the AAC that would have finished in the Top 4 of the Big East more than once in the last 5 years.

In the last five years UConn finished in the Top 4 of the Big East exactly once. The other 4 years they finished 7th, 10th, 9th, and 12th.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The site disallowed my e-mail and I don't know why as it is the only e-mail I have ever used, Now it seems as though I am banned. Has anyone else have this problem?
They are waiting on a server upgrade and only registered members can even read the site right now. It used to have a fairly decent realignment board, but the whole place has become a collossal circle jerk for newbie ACC school fans. You aren't missing anything, other than constant predictions of UConn's demise. Even more so than here.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

So basically, the exact position the SEC, ACC, Atlantic 10 and WCC have been in the last few years? Stay behind the yellow line and mind the gap. All is not lost.

The basketball tourney is so much more equitible than football. Win the conference tournament and all else will take care of itself.

Reaction Score
Do you get miles or something every time you mention ECU? I think I've heard someone refer to East Carolina basketball maybe 5 times in my life and every time was you.

Q: do you think people on this board would mention that even the bottom of the Catholics is better than the American if, say, DePaul or Providence had won the CBI or CIT? I do.

Reaction Score
They are waiting on a server upgrade and only registered members can even read the site right now. It used to have a fairly decent realignment board, but the whole place has become a collossal circle jerk for newbie ACC school fans. You aren't missing anything, other than constant predictions of UConn's demise. Even more so than here.
I registered today.

C

Chief00

I am more upbeat than most about the AAC hoops. I think of the Big East women's conference going from lousy to the best conference thanks to UConn making everyone better. Houston, Memphis, Temple and Cincy already have basketball tradition.

Reaction Score
I am more upbeat than most about the AAC hoops. I think of the Big East women's conference going from lousy to the best conference thanks to UConn making everyone better. Houston, Memphis, Temple and Cincy already have basketball tradition.

Assuming the same teams are in the league 5 years down the line (hopefully we are out), I see 4-5 tournament teams per year. UConn and Memphis should make it just about every year. At least one of Cincy and Temple should make it each year and I see 1-2 others. Temple and Houston have the tradition to quickly increase recruiting. Brown may be able to spring board recruiting at SMU. I can see 1 or 2 other teams emerging in the next few years. Maybe ECU. USF hasn't put together a lot of wins, but the program has been getting recognition since being in the big east. Maybe they put together a good class or two and the potential rivalry with UCF should help both schools. I think the key is for some of the lesser known schools to schedule tough out of conference schedules. If ECU loses to Duke, than its a non story and no one even knows that ECU lost. But if ECU beats duke it will be talked about all year.

Reaction Score
I just have this queasiness about going to the Memphis board. Something tells me Memphis fans will walk into this conference acting like they own the place and that I will detest them.

If someone rips a huge fart at media day just as Aresco approaches the podium to greet everyone, it will be a Memphis person.

Reaction Score
They seem to be OK over there. Respectful of what we have done and happy to have us in the same semi floating boat. They admit the change is a improvement for them and a downgrade for us. I am more worried about the Temple fans really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom