Memphis A Likely Future Opponent For MBB After AAC Membership Ends | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Memphis A Likely Future Opponent For MBB After AAC Membership Ends

Reaction Score
They got to a final four, have been a 1 seed, been to multiple NCAA tournaments in the last several years and even in a very down year last year, they got to what, the NIT semis? Much better than us in recent down years...

They’re a legit program.

In recent years, the last several, they've had a really good run, and yes the coaching has been great.

But we've seen a lot of teams achieve such success over several years. Teams like Iowa State or VCU, etc.

Prior to that though?

Here's their record the 45 years prior to that: 6 tourney appearances, 1 Elite 8, 1 Sweet Sixteen, 4 exits in the first game.

This is a very UConn pre-Calhoun type of record. In fact, UConn's record prior to Calhoun is better than Wichita State's prior to 2013!!!!

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Fine if they give us football games. Penny crap will flame out quicker than KO

Last edited:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
In recent years, the last several, they've had a really good run, and yes the coaching has been great.

But we've seen a lot of teams achieve such success over several years. Teams like Iowa State or VCU, etc.

Prior to that though?

Here's their record the 45 years prior to that: 6 tourney appearances, 1 Elite 8, 1 Sweet Sixteen, 4 exits in the first game.

This is a very UConn pre-Calhoun type of record. In fact, UConn's record prior to Calhoun is better than Wichita State's prior to 2013!!!!
They’ve been a legit program for like 10+ years... who cares what they did 45 years ago?

I’m just saying playing them is good for us. I think they will be good next year. They lost nearly everything last season and still got to the NIT semis. They looked TERRIBLE against us at Gampel.

Marshall runs a good program and I’d always be happy to play them.

Reaction Score
They’ve been a legit program for like 10+ years... who cares what they did 45 years ago?

I’m just saying playing them is good for us. I think they will be good next year. They lost nearly everything last season and still got to the NIT semis. They looked TERRIBLE against us at Gampel.

10+?

2012-2013 was their first NCAA in a while coming out of a weak conference. Since then, they've been regulars. But they're really no better than VCU.

Reaction Score
10+?

2012-2013 was their first NCAA in a while coming out of a weak conference. Since then, they've been regulars. But they're really no better than VCU.

Didn't they lose to George Mason in the Sweet Sixteen in 2006? They also gave us a tough battle in Maui in 2011.

That's irrelevant though, if you've paid attention to Marshall's coaching (and especially how he got them to improve last year) then you know he's one of the top coaches in the game. As long as he's there, and it seems like he'll be there for a long time, I'd be happy to have them as a regular non-conference opponent.

Reaction Score
Didn't they lose to George Mason in the Sweet Sixteen in 2006? They also gave us a tough battle in Maui in 2011.

That's irrelevant though, if you've paid attention to Marshall's coaching (and especially how he got them to improve last year) then you know he's one of the top coaches in the game. As long as he's there, and it seems like he'll be there for a long time, I'd be happy to have them as a regular non-conference opponent.

I laid out their 45 year record prior to 2012-2013. It wasn't good.

Reaction Score
Imagine in 1997 being uninterested in scheduling UConn because of the 45 year period before 1990...

This is really irrelevant to the discussion (because we're discussing whether WSU is a powerhouse in college basketball) but...

1. UConn didn't really have great schedules prior to Calhoun. We played Oral Roberts and Umass.
2. UConn's pre-Calhoun record is much better than Wichita State's.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Since 2010, they've been in made it into the Top 15 6 out of 10 years. Top 10 4 out of 10.

Last year was an outlier given their recent history in that it's the only year they didn't reach 25 wins. They had 22.

View attachment 45142

And they pack their arena every night. Big time basketball fans.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Longer than that. They lost to UCLA in a final four in 1965 and had some very good years in the 80s with guys like Antoine Carr and Xavier McDaniel.

Marshall is a top ten coach right now.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This is really irrelevant to the discussion (because we're discussing whether WSU is a powerhouse in college basketball) but...

No we're not. We're discussing whether or not it would be valuable to play them OOC. I don't care if they stunk in 2009; Gregg Marshall is a great coach and they've established themselves as a very good program in the last decade. Sign me up.

Reaction Score
No we're not. We're discussing whether or not it would be valuable to play them OOC. I don't care if they stunk in 2009; Gregg Marshall is a great coach and they've established themselves as a very good program in the last decade. Sign me up.

Sigh. I was responding to someone who called them a powerhouse. Jeez.

Reaction Score

1. UConn didn't really have great schedules prior to Calhoun. We played Oral Roberts and Umass.
2. UConn's pre-Calhoun record is much better than Wichita State's.
Yeah, I'm with @Rico444 here: the discussion we were having was about whether to schedule Wichita. People are responding to your initial:

I don't understand the appeal of Wichita St. Does nothing for me at all.

Anyone who thinks they're a powerhouse is crazy.

Their pre-2009 wasn't great, but it had a Final Four (we didn't in 1997) and more E8s than we had pre-1990.

Again, what they did in the 45 years before 2011 is irrelevant: right now they are a team to schedule.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm with @Rico444 here: the discussion we were having was about whether to schedule Wichita. People are responding to your initial:

Their pre-2009 wasn't great, but it had a Final Four (we didn't in 1997) and more E8s than we had pre-1990.

Again, what they did in the 45 years before 2011 is irrelevant: right now they are a team to schedule.

Gotcha.

Someone else responded to my initial post by saying they're a powerhouse, and I was replying to that one when I Iooked at their 45 year record.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I’m biased in their favor because I have relatives who went there. But even I would say that if playing somebody else gets is a football game, play them. KU obviously, but if K State would play us home and home for MBB, WBB and Football you prioritize that.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Sigh. I was responding to someone who called them a powerhouse. Jeez.

And I was responding to your first post in this thread, which had nothing to do with them being a powerhouse.

I don't understand the appeal of Wichita St. Does nothing for me at all.

I'd like to keep playing Cincy though.

They're a good team with a great coach. I don't really care about arguing semantics; don't care who thinks they are or aren't a borderline-powerhouse. All I care about is scheduling good teams, and they're a good team.

Reaction Score
And I was responding to your first post in this thread, which had nothing to do with them being a powerhouse.

Then why were you referencing my response to the person who called them a powerhouse? The whole look at their history was in response to that.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Gotcha.

Someone else responded to my initial post by saying they're a powerhouse, and I was replying to that one when I Iooked at their 45 year record.
I said they were a borderline powerhouse for a good stretch of time not too long ago. Don’t misquote me.

Depends how you define powerhouse, but if we are talking about a nationally relevant contender for several years, then that’s what they were.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom