OT: - Memphis' '21 recruiting haul | The Boneyard

OT: Memphis' '21 recruiting haul

Reaction Score
Rumors are pointing '21 center Sam Ayomide to Memphis. If he signs with Memphis, it would be their fourth commit to the '21 class and third in the last ten days. Along with these four incoming freshmen, Memphis will bring in former Evansville star DeAndre Williams.

With 12 commits signed for '20-'21 and none of which are seniors, can someone explain to me how Memphis is able to have 17 scholarships committed to '21-'22? is there a limit to how many scholarships a team can have committed to a future year that is not the upcoming season?

Reaction Score
Rumors are pointing '21 center Sam Ayomide to Memphis. If he signs with Memphis, it would be their fourth commit to the '21 class and third in the last ten days. Along with these four incoming freshmen, Memphis will bring in former Evansville star DeAndre Williams.

With 12 commits signed for '20-'21 and none of which are seniors, can someone explain to me how Memphis is able to have 17 scholarships committed to '21-'22? is there a limit to how many scholarships a team can have committed to a future year that is not the upcoming season?

They can take as many kids as they want. When August 2021 rolls around they get 13 schollies without exception. Penny is probably banking on transfers and kids going g league.

Reaction Score
It's just impossible to recruit well in the AAC.

Recruiting wasn't UConn's problem in the AAC.
It doesn't sound like Nolley wants to play 4 years (that was known by most teams when he left VT). Williams is also an older guy. He's probably staying 1 year. Hardaway's kid I believe is also on scholarship right now, and he doesn't really have to be.
Moussa Cisse is likely a one and done, like Wiseman and Achiuwa were.
Memphis recruits like a blue blood in the AAC. Jalen Green was going there until the G-League upped their offer to 500K.
Don't forget they already have Arterio Morris for the following year.

Last edited:

Mike9904111

99-04-11-14-23
Reaction Score
I followed the Wiseman situation pretty heavy, but outside of that I don't know much about there program overall except for their bragging on the AAC board last season. Personally, I think Penny is on the right track though with his recruiting. I know they dealt with injuries to key players last season and had a lot of youth. So with good health and with Wiseman that team probably wins 25+ games. It takes time to build a program and he has gotten a good mix of players from what I see on 247. Transfers, solid 4 year 3 stars, and a bunch of 4 stars with a few 5s.

If he can actually coach, Memphis should be a consistent tourney team and top 25 program again. If he can't coach they won't. There really isn't any excuse. Talent is definitely there.

Reaction Score
I don’t get the hate towards Penny/Memphis on this board. The wiseman stuff was the NCAA/Duke/Kentucky/Kansas pissed that a school like Memphis is coming in and stealing their recruits (was actually a pretty ridiculous to suspend Wiseman if you actually look into what happened). I personally root for Memphis getting these recruits and doing well; always nice to see schools like Duke/Kentucky being stunned and badmouthing players after they don’t get them. Also Penny has had nothing but good things to say about UConn/Hurley even after leaving the AAC, I respect that a lot.

Memphis was one of the high points in the AAC, they’re better positioned for success in that conference and were a better fit than us. Will be excited to see them at full strength this year. They were going to be one of the funnest teams in the country to watch last year before wiseman.

Reaction Score
Also, as to their recruiting, there’s reasons they’re getting top kids other than “money”. Penny is a legend, and is one of the most popular figures in Memphis. He can coach and actually puts in the effort to recruit (two keys facts that differentiate him from guys like Ewing or ahem Ollie). And it seems like he always has good assistants as well.

We especially can’t dig him for not having as much success on the courts yet. After all what have we done with Hurley so far? Memphis in general has had more success than us past couple years. Teams take a few years to build, here’s hoping we see them deep in the tourney this year.

Reaction Score
Also, as to their recruiting, there’s reasons they’re getting top kids other than “money”. Penny is a legend, and is one of the most popular figures in Memphis. He can coach and actually puts in the effort to recruit (two keys facts that differentiate him from guys like Ewing or ahem Ollie). And it seems like he always has good assistants as well.

We especially can’t dig him for not having as much success on the courts yet. After all what have we done with Hurley so far? Memphis in general has had more success than us past couple years. Teams take a few years to build, here’s hoping we see them deep in the tourney this year.

You have your opinion and I respect that. I will say there’s not much hate here as there is the opinion he utilizes funds to help bring in these kids. I lean that way too, I mean how could you think it’s okay to move Wisemans family to Memphis and the kid could play? Well besides that so far he’s proven very little in coaching ability. He gets good players and let’s them go out and play pretty much not much Xs and Os thus far but I guess he has time. Good guy unimpressed with his coaching potential.

Reaction Score
You have your opinion and I respect that. I will say there’s not much hate here as there is the opinion he utilizes funds to help bring in these kids. I lean that way too, I mean how could you think it’s okay to move Wisemans family to Memphis and the kid could play? Well besides that so far he’s proven very little in coaching ability. He gets good players and let’s them go out and play pretty much not much Xs and Os thus far but I guess he has time. Good guy unimpressed with his coaching potential.

Agreed, especially on his X's and O's. Watching him during a time out really tells the story. I didn't see many of their games but he looked lost at crucial times and especially so in the huddle during a time out. In fact, more often than not, it seemed one of his assistants did most of the talking to the team. Or is that just an example of good delegating?

Reaction Score
He helped Wisemans family move before he became coach at Memphis (and really before there was any potential for him to be coaching at Memphis). That seems like him being moreso a mentor / close friend to Wiseman and family, someone interested in seeing Wiseman succeed. Also want to point out that the only reason this was apparently against NCAA rules is because Penny donated money to Memphis in like 2007ish, technically making him a booster for life (which is just another outdated NCAA bylaw).

Also, there were rumors that the NCAA only went after him after Kentucky complained...

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He helped Wisemans family move before he became coach at Memphis (and really before there was any potential for him to be coaching at Memphis). That seems like him being moreso a mentor / close friend to Wiseman and family, someone interested in seeing Wiseman succeed. Also want to point out that the only reason this was apparently against NCAA rules is because Penny donated money to Memphis in like 2007ish, technically making him a booster for life (which is just another outdated NCAA bylaw).

Also, there were rumors that the NCAA only went after him after Kentucky complained...

Penny played college ball at Memphis, he would be a booster whether or not he donated a dime to the school.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Memphis has always recruited well, even back when they were in the Metro Conference. Translates into a good season every 20 years or so.

Reaction Score
Penny played college ball at Memphis, he would be a booster whether or not he donated a dime to the school.
Not true, and the NCAA specifically pointed to the donation Penny made in 2008 that classified him as a booster.

Was curious and just looked it up on the NCAA site, I’m assuming you’re referring to the line:

“Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.”

It’s not obvious, but to me that’s referring to someone that’s in a group that supports the college teams, not someone that plays on the actual team.

Regardless can we agree that the whole booster for life thing is a stupid rule in this situation? If Penny was coaching at any other school, then Wiseman would’ve been eligible.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Not true, and the NCAA specifically pointed to the donation Penny made in 2008 that classified him as a booster.

Was curious and just looked it up on the NCAA site, I’m assuming you’re referring to the line:

“Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.”

It’s not obvious, but to me that’s referring to someone that’s in a group that supports the college teams, not someone that plays on the actual team.

Regardless can we agree that the whole booster for life thing is a stupid rule in this situation? If Penny was coaching at any other school, then Wiseman would’ve been eligible.

Wow, that's really surprising. So why wasn't Ray Allen allowed to take a phone call with recruits?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Wow, that's really surprising. So why wasn't Ray Allen allowed to take a phone call with recruits?
Because it's Uconn who has to deal with a handicap from the NCAA.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom