Memorial Day | The Boneyard

Memorial Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Honoring all who gave their lives to defend our country.

And remember, all:

39D99D6D-7002-4620-8198-77F1D0CC55F2.jpeg

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Which makes me wonder why we say "Happy" Memorial Day. To many of us, it's not a happy remembrance. But on the other hand, what should we say?
End of rant. :(

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’ve never heard anyone say Happy Memorial Day. That would be weird.
I hear "enjoy the holiday" and "enjoy the long weekend" often.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I’ve never heard anyone say Happy Memorial Day. That would be weird.
Someone posted a gif on my Facebook feed today that was of a waving flag and the text 'Have a Happy and safe Memorial Day."
(To me, this is more like a 4th gif.)

Reaction Score
I guess I've been spared that. It sounds like those folks are mainly thinking of the day as vacation with traffic problems rather than as a memorial.

Reaction Score
For the Patriots (I mean all y'all) out there, a program worth watching is "War Heroes with Kris Paronto"; you might recognize that name [Kris Paronto] as one of the few who disobeyed orders to stand down to attempt to rescue Ambassador Stevens in Benghazi.

Memorial Day is about all those who may have never got accolades but showed up for duty, defended their brothers and sisters in arms, and gave their last full measure in various locations around the globe on behalf of all Americans, and in many instances for the people of many foreign countries.

God bless the families of our fallen comrades with comfort in their grief, and surround them with loving friends and family on this day [weekend] of rembrance, and provide the support they need every day, as the pain of their loss is real for them every day. May the good memories of their loved one(s) fill their minds to overflowing as they reminisce.

Reaction Score
Did the 3 cemetery runs yesterday honoring my Dad, Stepfather and Father in Law, all WW2 veterans. Nothing like blue skies and the flags by the plots blowing in the wind In the early morning. Every time the flag unfurls I swear they’re saying hello to us! Remember them!

Reaction Score
It used to be called Decoration Day, and was observed on May 30, regardless of the day of the week. That was the day when relatives would gather at cemeteries and "decorate" the graves of loved ones lost in battle, with flags and flowers. Some families still observe this practice. Why? First, it's a sign of respect. More important, it's an effort to keep the names of those loved ones alive in our hearts and minds for yet one more generation, before they fade into oblivion.

In my mind, changing the name and date of the holiday has robbed it of its original meaning, and now it's just another 3-day weekend for blockbuster sales and mayhem on our highways.

Postscript: As I was leaving a doctor's office several weeks ago, I stopped at the desk to make my next appointment. "How about June 6th?" the sweet young office clerk asked. "Fine, that's D-Day," I responded, as I scribbled the date into my calendar book. "What's D-Day?" she asked. When I explained that it was the greatest invasion in the history of warfare, leading to the liberation of Europe 80 years ago, she asked: "Why wasn't I taught about that in school?"

Reaction Score
It used to be called Decoration Day, and was observed on May 30, regardless of the day of the week. That was the day when relatives would gather at cemeteries and "decorate" the graves of loved ones lost in battle, with flags and flowers. Some families still observe this practice. Why? First, it's a sign of respect. More important, it's an effort to keep the names of those loved ones alive in our hearts and minds for yet one more generation, before they fade into oblivion.

In my mind, changing the name and date of the holiday has robbed it of its original meaning, and now it's just another 3-day weekend for blockbuster sales and mayhem on our highways.

Postscript: As I was leaving a doctor's office several weeks ago, I stopped at the desk to make my next appointment. "How about June 6th?" the sweet young office clerk asked. "Fine, that's D-Day," I responded, as I scribbled the date into my calendar book. "What's D-Day?" she asked. When I explained that it was the greatest invasion in the history of warfare, leading to the liberation of Europe 80 years ago, she asked: "Why wasn't I taught about that in school?"
She probably was, but didn't think it was memorable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom