OT: - Memorable sports quotes...trivia | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Memorable sports quotes...trivia

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
LesMis89: The first line was Gibson to his own catcher Tim McCarvere...I think.

The rest? Maybe McCarver to somebody after he was traded from the Cardinals?

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
LesMis89: The first line was Gibson to his own catcher Tim McCarvere...I think.

The rest? Maybe McCarver to somebody after he was traded from the Cardinals?
Yes on #1

#2 was Hank Aaron to a young Dusty Baker

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Absolutely the best back and forth between player, and sportswriter who doesn't have a clue. I'm forever amazed at the pathetic questions posed by sports writers. And equally amazed at how patient the athletes are with these writers and their questions.

Last edited:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
"The Giants is dead!" This was said by Charlie Dressen, manager of the Brooklyn Dodgers, in 1951. He said this in the middle of August when the Dodgers had an 11 game lead over the rival Giants. When the season ended, the Giants and Dodgers ended up in a tie for first place.
The Giants won the playoff on Bobby Thomson's home run.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"They run a lot of sets, nothing that we haven't seen throughout the course of Big Ten play and postseason." Brad Underwood
before the Elite 8 Game with UConn. Believe me this will live on for a long time!

Reaction Score
Who said this, and about whom?

"I could have walked over there and given the guy a ten dollar bill, because such foolishness has to come to an end sooner or later."

Hint: It involves probably the most unbreakable record in baseball history.

Reaction Score
What major league record is held by Bill Wambsganss?

(And it has nothing to do with the unassisted triple play he pulled off in the 1920 World Series.)

Reaction Score
King of Sweden, as he presents the gold medal: “You sir, are the greatest athlete in the world.”
Athlete’s reply: “Thanks King”
E
Athlete

Reaction Score
Jim Thorpe, at the 1912 Olympics in Stockholm.
He said it to King Gustaf V after winning the Pentathlon (an event no longer held in the Olympics -- not to be confused with the Modern Pentathlon). A few days later, he also won the gold medal in the Decathlon, with a record score that lasted for 40 years.

Reaction Score
“THE YANKEES WIN THE PENNANT!!!! THE YANKEES WIN THE PENNANT!!!!”

I’ll never forget hearing those words.
That's after a walk-off home run in the ALCS, either by Chris Chambliss in 1976 or Aaron Boone in 2003.

Reaction Score
That's after a walk-off home run in the ALCS, either by Chris Chambliss in 1976 or Aaron Boone in 2003.
1976 was much bigger since it was 12 years since the last pennant …..Rizzuto screaming it……”The Yankees win the pennant……the Yankees win the pennant…..The Yankees win the pennant”…….really resonated when the Chambliss’s shot cleared the fence. Sure Boone’s shot in 2003 was big but the Yankees had already made the past 8 or so post seasons, and the announcers were not former Yankees IIRC.

“Holy Cow”

Reaction Score
1976 was much bigger since it was 12 years since the last pennant …..Rizzuto screaming it……”The Yankees win the pennant……the Yankees win the pennant…..The Yankees win the pennant”…….really resonated when the Chambliss’s shot cleared the fence. Sure Boone’s shot in 2003 was big but the Yankees had already made the past 8 or so post seasons, and the announcers were not former Yankees IIRC.

“Holy Cow”
I must admit, I never heard the call, because I was at the game. Chambliss hit the first pitch in the 9th off a tired reliever, Mark Littell -- his 11th hit of the 7-game series, in which he batted .524. Fans were all over the field as Chambliss rounded 2nd base, and by the time he fought his way around third, home plate was gone. They had to bring him out onto the field a half hour later to touch the hole where the plate had been ripped out of the ground. Sportswriters compared it to Bobby Thomson's shot-heard-'round-the-world 25 years earlier, but it really didn't compare. Chambliss' HR was a lead-off tie-breaker. Thomson's came with two on, down by two, and capped a 4-run 9th inning.

Reaction Score
I must admit, I never heard the call, because I was at the game. Chambliss hit the first pitch in the 9th off a tired reliever, Mark Littell -- his 11th hit of the 7-game series, in which he batted .524. Fans were all over the field as Chambliss rounded 2nd base, and by the time he fought his way around third, home plate was gone. They had to bring him out onto the field a half hour later to touch the hole where the plate had been ripped out of the ground. Sportswriters compared it to Bobby Thomson's shot-heard-'round-the-world 25 years earlier, but it really didn't compare. Chambliss' HR was a lead-off tie-breaker. Thomson's came with two on, down by two, and capped a 4-run 9th inning.

Great story. Thanks!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom