Memo to Saniya... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Memo to Saniya...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Well, you know, if she had just played defense against Stanford . . . [kidding]

You jest Gus, but that (and her injuries) is what kept her on the sidelines. Her inability to keep her man in front of her. Stanford guard Lili Thompson had a career night that night. If you remember, she and Kiah Stokes were replaced in the starting lineup by Kia Nurse and Morgan Tuck after the Stanford loss. Tuck remained a starter until she left the program, as has Nurse. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Nurse has been the only current roster player to start and play in all 90 games. Gabby may have played in all, I'm not sure. I don't remember Kia missing a game due to injury.

I don't recall her missing any games during this streak. I too was glad to see Saniya have a break out game. Everyone knows she can score. What impressed me was her ability to keep her man in front of her (ala Nurse). As long as she can continue to do that, she will play. Chong can shoot the 3 as well as anyone on the team!!! A BIG confidence booster for Chong last night. A tip o the turban to Saniya Chong for her actions and accomplishments on BOTH ends of the court!! :)

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
WARNING...comprehensive analysis of Saniya Chong's pro prospects below in a very long-winded post.
As an FYI, "long-winded post" means "completely typical CamrnCrz1974 post."

Obviously, Saniya had a great game last night and will depart UConn with the best record of any player in the history of the program. But in terms of the WNBA, however, I do not see it.

This year, she is averaging 6.5 points per game on very, very good shooting. For her career, she is averaging 4.9 ppg, 45.7 percent from the floor, 36.2 percent from three, and 77.3 percent from the line.

For someone who came into college with the reputation as a scorer, she has adapted really, really well to playing when the ball is not in her hands and being able to be a very solid roleplayer playing with elite talent. But she does not have a singular WNBA skill.

Now, some of you will remind me of Kiah Stokes' ppg averages. But Kiah also had ELITE per-minute rebounding averages (which, as Kevin Pelton and the ESPN NBA draft analysts will tell you, is a skill that almost always translates to the professional ranks) and was an exceptional shotblocker (single season UConn record). For her senior year, Stokes averaged nearly 7 rebounds and 3.77 blocks per game while playing only 18 minutes per contest; her per-36 minute averages are simply staggering/jawdropping/running out of descriptive terms.

While Stokes is only 6-3 (on the short end of WNBA centers), she has a very muscular frame and a very good center of gravity, which allows her to be physical with defenders who are bigger than she is.

The other issue with Chong is the fact that she is only 5-8. At that height in the WNBA, she will either have to be paired with a taller point guard (so she could be a shooting guard on offense and defend the shorter guards on defense) or move to the point in the WNBA. Now, I have always argued that point guard is not just a position, but a mentality. You need to be a great playmaker, for yourself and others, while balancing and knowing when to shoot, when to initiate, when to pass, how to handle the clock, etc.

Chong has a very nice A/TO for her career, at 2.09/1. But she has only averaged 1.71 assists per game for her career, despite playing with elite talent. Her per-minute averages help; for her career, per 36 minutes, she averages just under 3.5 assists per game. But those are not the assist number of a first round draft pick expected to be a playmaker.

Defensively, Chong had the benefit of playing with two exceptional perimeter defenders at UConn. In the pros, she will have to adjust to players who are bigger, stronger, and quicker than she is - and being defended by them. Put it this way...Chong will have to go to playing with Moriah Jefferson to having to defend and be defended by Moriah Jefferson.

Now, I am not saying she cannot succeed or have a very nice career. There are a number UConn players who were not taken in the first round, but have had/are continuing to have long and/or highly successful careers WNBA careers - Ashley Battle, Jessica Moore, Charde Houston, Tiffany Hayes, etc.

I am reminded of Kelly Faris (not in terms of playing style, but in terms of pro prospect profile) when analyzing Chong. Faris was, arguably, one of the best hustle/effort players in the history of UConn. She was not naturally athletic, but she was incredibly crafty and relentless and was a very versatile defender at 5-11, being able to guard quick perimter players and bigger frontcourt players. Kelly did not have a singular WNBA skill, other than her heart/hustle, which she parlayed (along with a statistical breakout scoring year as a senior) into becoming a first round draft pick.

But in four years, Faris has appeared in 112 games and averaged 11.7 minutes per game...to only score 2.1 points per game, shooting 36.1 percent from the floor and 28.1 percent from three. Those are not numbers worthy of a first round draft pick. And given her minutes and playing for multiple coaches, she has had her opportunities.

NONE of this takes away from Faris' wonderful college career. And it will not take away from Chong's college career.

But in terms of a first round draft pick, I just do not see it.
FYI - Faris was actually quite a gifted athlete - fast, strong, and a good leaper. Her problem as a pro has always been a lack of scoring prowess.

On the rest of your post, not bad. I think Chong will struggle with the mental aspects as she has for her first three years at Uconn should she go pro. I think talent wise she could make it as a pro because she really is a good scorer, and has become an above average defender, but I am not sure she has a selfish enough attitude to assert herself on a WNBA team. And while she is not that tall she does have long arms and decent hops so she plays taller than she is. Because of her Uconn pedigree, I think she will get a look from a WNBA team, and she could stick at the back-end of a roster, but ...

Reaction Score
Saniya had a great night. Her defense has definitely improved and her scoring was back where it always should have been. But what impressed me the most was her decision making. I think this was Saniya's best night for decision making ever.

As for her draft prospects, she will have to keep making good decisions as her head has seemed to be the real problem for her. I think she still has an outside shot at being a first rounder if she starts to show consistency and continues to do the things she did last night throughout the rest of the season and the tournament. But it is at the point now that she is going to have to change some opinions on her.

I think she can do it. And I really hope so, for her own sake.

Reaction Score
She can do it for sure. I don't think she took a bad shot tonight - and she made most of them. 8-10 from the floor. So happy for her! Hope Geno talks about her at the presser...
Geno ranted to those other than "the four" that they must score if Uconn is to be successful--speaking specifically to Chong , Danger, Butler, Lawlor, Molly. The message was received. I too am more than pleased with this game--she just proved she can do it--now she MUST. Chong is a Senior --there are no more tomorrows for her to play UConn BB--it's now or never.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Saniya had a great night. Her defense has definitely improved and her scoring was back where it always should have been. But what impressed me the most was her decision making. I think this was Saniya's best night for decision making ever.

As for her draft prospects, she will have to keep making good decisions as her head has seemed to be the real problem for her. I think she still has an outside shot at being a first rounder if she starts to show consistency and continues to do the things she did last night throughout the rest of the season and the tournament. But it is at the point now that she is going to have to change some opinions on her.

I think she can do it. And I really hope so, for her own sake.

I think Chong will be drafted into the W. What round, that remains to be seen. There are 36 players that get drafted (3 rounds of 12). She's got three things going for her.
1. Her UConn pedigree - That alone is worth a lot. It's widely known that UConn players come into the league ready to play because of the training and coaching they've received. She knows what it's like to win, and what it takes to win.......and win consistently, and has been part of 3 and maybe 4 national championship teams.

2. She can shoot the 3. She did it in high school, and has had better than average success in college.

3. She has name recognition & she's as good as any third round player that will be drafted - She can always accept an invitation to any camp as an undrafted invitee. She may catch on with a team that way. Most 1st round players make the cut. Admittedly, very few second round players stick, and almost no third round players make the cut. She doesn't have to impress everyone, just one coach/GM. The hardest team to make is The Minnesota Lynx. They're stacked from top to bottom. They have a veteran team, and acquire most of their players via free agency. The easiest team to make maybe the San Antonio Stars. They finished with a league worst of 7 wins 27 losses, and have the 1st pick in this year's draft. They need help at every position, especially at the post. Their starting post last year Jayne Appel-Marinelli, retired.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I thought Saniya prevented a loss at Maryland. She's been playing at a quality pace for some games now.

And I'm sure Geno knows it but is playing a motivational game with her.

Reaction Score
I have always thought that Saniya has had the skill set but her mental outlook of the game has held her back at UCONN!
She is her own worst enemy!
She needs to just "play" the game and let the chips fall where they may!

Reaction Score
You're thinking of the previous year's NCAA tournament run also. UConn is 137-1 since losing in the BE finals in 2013.

Saniya (and T) are 40+38+38+15 = 131 and 1.
Gus, thank you very much for the correction. Numbers are important in sports and now my numbers are accurate.

Reaction Score
Memo to Saniya -- continue leading nation in assist/turnover ratio. With her eight assists last night, she finally qualifies:

Assist Turnover Ratio | DI Women's Basketball Statistics - NCAA.com

AND THIS IS 'EXACTLY' WHY SANIYA CHONG IS JUST AS IMPORTANT TO THIS TEAM AS IS KLS, COLLIER, WILLIAMS, AND NURSE. ALL SHE NEEDS TO CONTINUE TO DO IS TO PLAY THIS TYPE OF GAME AND CONTRIBUTE IN GAMES TO WHAT IS REQUIRED OF HER, BASED UPON THE FLOW OF THE GAME. AND THIS IS WHY UCONN IS AGAIN # 1 IN THE POLLS !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom