Megaton is Naismith POY | The Boneyard

Megaton is Naismith POY

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Go Megan !!!!!

Hits the game winner for the state title, pulls down another Gatorade / Virginia POY, and now Naismith. Been a pretty good week for her, I'd say !

Reaction Score
As I Expected, Congrats Walker! She wants to go down as on of the best there is, the best there was, and the best there every will be. I think she'll make a big impact from day one.

Reaction Score
Posted on a different thread, near the end of this Geno can hardly contain his enthusiasm for her. By our comparing her to Maya (a losing comparison for anyone), maybe we've underestimated just how great Meg can be....She's not a "not quite Maya" but instead the first Megan....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meg had 18 in the 4th quarter. Geno (paraphrasing): If you had done that in the first 3 quarters, you wouldn't be down 11 and need to be a hero. She's capable of doing that every quarter. There's not a lot she can't do. At her size, she's not limited in what she can do.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Posted on a different thread, near the end of this Geno can hardly contain his enthusiasm for her. By our comparing her to Maya (a losing comparison for anyone), maybe we've underestimated just how great Meg can be....She's not a "not quite Maya" but instead the first Megan....

"Meg you were amazing in that 4th quarter, just took over the game. But if you had done that in the first three quarters you wouldn't have needed to be a hero..."

...and so it begins.

images

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"Meg you were amazing in that 4th quarter, just took over the game. But if you had done that in the first three quarter you wouldn't have needed to be a hero..."

...and so it begins.

images
Meg will get the Lou treatment. Geno will expect her to be on a par with Maya et al. In terms of complete players, Meg will one of the best.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Meg will get the Lou treatment. Geno will expect her to be on a par with Maya et al. In terms of complete players, Meg will one of the best.

I know it's not something we look at usually, at this point, but I think she has the tools to be one of the best defensive players we've had in a while. Not the rebounder that Gabby is, but she has extra length and is really quick and explosive laterally. She's still quite good vertically (again, just not like Gabby). If properly motivated, she could be *extremely* disruptive in the passing lanes. She has much quicker feet than Maya. Is she as strong as Maya was under the boards, or, could she be? TBD. Maya was a beast under the boards, so I think it may take time for Meg to get coached up to that level of rebounding, as far as intensity, etc.

She will score a ton of points, but I'm more curious to see what she can do defensively to be honest.

By the end of next season, how will the Huskies stack up defensively against our all-time best squads? They won't be able to duplicate the defensive back line of Dolson/Stewart/Stokes which I believe was the most fearsome backline in UCONN history, but maybe with Azura and Megan added to the mix (haven't forgotten about Mikayla) the defense could be pretty special too. Azura is not a "banger" but she's so long.... it makes you wonder what we'll be able to do.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I know it's not something we look at usually, at this point, but I think she has the tools to be one of the best defensive players we've had in a while. Not the rebounder that Gabby is, but she has extra length and is really quick and explosive laterally. She's still quite good vertically (again, just not like Gabby). If properly motivated, she could be *extremely* disruptive in the passing lanes. She has much quicker feet than Maya. Is she as strong as Maya was under the boards, or, could she be? TBD. Maya was a beast under the boards, so I think it may take time for Meg to get coached up to that level of rebounding, as far as intensity, etc.

She will score a ton of points, but I'm more curious to see what she can do defensively to be honest.

By the end of next season, how will the Huskies stack up defensively against our all-time best squads? They won't be able to duplicate the defensive back line of Dolson/Stewart/Stokes which I believe was the most fearsome backline in UCONN history, but maybe with Azura and Megan added to the mix (haven't forgotten about Mikayla) the defense could be pretty special too. Azura is not a "banger" but she's so long.... it makes you wonder what we'll be able to do.
Meg is not as strong as Maya and may never be, but her reach is almost the same. She may be more fluid.

Our length on defense will be substantial. Meg is a nice addition to that. Mikayla is very quick and a major theft. Add Azura's length to Kia, Gabby, Lou, and Pheesa, plus Chrystal's quickness and our newfound depth. I think the defense will be intense..

I agree that the Stef/Kiah/Stewie front line was nearly impenetrable. We went on lots of runs with Kiah in the lineup, because the interior shots were blocked or altered and an outlet pass quickly ensued.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Our length on defense will be substantial. Meg is a nice addition to that. Mikayla is very quick and a major theft. Add Azura's length to Kia, Gabby, Lou, and Pheesa, plus Chrystal's quickness and our newfound depth. I think the defense will be intense..
You almost seem to be deliberately ignoring the expected contribution next year of Batouly Camara. She has reasonable size (6-2) and lots of strength and quickness. I don't think she will get outmuscled very often. She will be a great protection against foul trouble for Gabby or Napheesa.

Natalie Butler is also part of the defensive capability next year, if she doesn't decide to make this her final year in college.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno has a formula for incoming freshmen as follows:

T = talent
P = potential
C = criticism

C >= T + P

Good luck Megan.

Geno must be softening. It used to be C >> T+P. :cool:

HGN

Reaction Score
Congrats Meg......You deserved it. We are looking forward to watching you play next season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
We went on lots of runs with Kiah in the lineup, because the interior shots were blocked or altered and an outlet pass quickly ensued.

One of my favorite moments of Kiah defense was in a Texas game where their biggest big went up around the foul line, saw Kiah, and came back down with the ball. Remember that one?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom