Megan Walker | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I was talking about Meg, not Liv.
My mistake. The post just ahead of yours changed the thread subject from Meg to Liv. Sometimes it’s hard to keep track of what folks are talking about here on the BY.

Reaction Score
The Pet Theme is that @Chong-Master is not and has never been on TEAM Megan.

Of course Aubrey was NEVER supposed to becoming to UCONN. I'm glad Aubrey is coming though so I get to look forward to 4 more years of Geno "misusing" yet another Ossining Player-can't wait.

Coco Husky - I will continue to provide my honest personal opinion on subjects raised here on the BY. Yes, I will continue to say that out of the 3 recruits coming into UCONN for the 2017-2018 season (Walker, Coombs, and AEH), that AEH had the most upside and would send up being the best of the 3. (with no Ossining bias involved). Yes, I am not a big fan of Megan Walker's game, as far as being an effective front line starter on a program such as UCONN. I think Megan and Coombs are good role playing bench players, but just that. I think ONO, provided she "bulks up" and builds up more strength and muscle during the off season, has much more upside than Megan Walker. If given the opportunity to play the 2 guard, Griffin, in my opinion, will do just fine.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco Husky - I will continue to provide my honest personal opinion on subjects raised here on the BY. Yes, I will continue to say that out of the 3 recruits coming into UCONN for the 2017-2018 season (Walker, Coombs, and AEH), that AEH had the most upside and would send up being the best of the 3. (with no Ossining bias involved). Yes, I am not a big fan of Megan Walker's game, as far as being an effective front line starter on a program such as UCONN. I think Megan and Coombs are good role playing bench players, but just that. I think ONO, provided she "bulks up" and builds up more strength and muscle during the off season, has much more upside than Megan Walker. If given the opportunity to play the 2 guard, Griffin, in my opinion, will do just fine.
I'm not sure you would know what "no Ossining bias" looks like. That's OK though, we all have our favorites. Just try not to tear any of them down in order to elevate one of the others. Ultimately the players are responsible for their success or failure. AEH was given the same opportunities as Megan and Mikayla and I think the results speak for themselves.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She definitely has improved year over year. But what really surprises me is the improvement of ONO from the beginning of the season until now. She's finally in there battling. She's become a player, while she was a non-factor for the first half of the season at least.

Sorry to change the subject....

Agreed!!! Allow me to take this opportunity to proclaim myself the "unofficial" president of the Olivia Nelson-Ododa fan club. Thank you. :D

As we watch her play the rest of this season, look back to where she started from, and what she looked like game 1, and what she looks like now. Rejoice in the fact that as you look at her today, this is as unpolished as she will look/be the remainder of her time at UConn. She won't look like this come November.

She will get/look better (stronger) with each passing game/year. She's not nearly as good now as she will be her junior and senior year. Her defensive techniques (blocking shots w/o fouling and sliding over to help cut off opponents driving to the basket) will have greatly improved, as will her decision making.

In time, she'll do these things instinctively without thinking about them. We've got that to look forward to. In the mean time, I like what I'm seeing when she's on the floor. The more she plays, the more confident she becomes. She has become the 6th man. She will see extensive playing time during the tournaments. I think she's ready. ;)

I'm also excited about Aubrey Griffin coming in next year. I've been following her play this year. I'm eager to see how she adjusts to "elite" Division one play, and how quickly she can adjust her skill set Geno's style of basketball, keeping in mind what Geno says about freshmen needing a full year to make that transition. Play and expectations at the "elite" level (top 25) programs are much different than that of lower mid-major programs i.e, Hampton or Winthrop. No visions of a NC or a high seed in the tournament there. They're happy to have a winning record at the end of the year, and hopefully receive a WIT bid.

As other freshmen have said that have come before her, "UConn basketball is nothing like anything they've ever experienced." It's more intense, and faster than HS BB. I do however expect her to play like a freshman.

Remember what Chrystal said in a video after the first two weeks of official practice? She said "nothing she did or experienced in HS or AAU ball prepared her for what she was going through now in UConn's practices"
Three things ALL incoming freshmen are expected to learn and do is:
1. Go hard on every play in practice. Give maximum effort 100% of the time.
2. Play defense.
3. Learn how to play and move without the ball. (Something Christyn is learning how to do).
No doubt Aubrey will have these same revelations. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I will continue to say that out of the 3 recruits coming into UCONN for the 2017-2018 season (Walker, Coombs, and AEH), that AEH had the most upside and would send up being the best of the 3. (with no Ossining bias involved).
That’s a pretty bold prediction, so I decided to take a look at both players YTD stats.

AEH has played in 25 of 27 games starting 9. She averages 19.3 mpg, 8.6 ppg, 1.2 rpg. She has 16 assists & 26 turnovers for an a/to ratio of .60. She has 3 blocks, 9 steals & 88% FT.

Megan has played and started in all 28 games. She averages 29.8 mpg, 11.9 ppg, 6.2 rpg. She has 49 assists & 51 turnovers for an a/to ratio of .96. She has 4 blocks, 26 steals & 72% FT.

So the only stat where AEH is better than Megan is FT%. While I will acknowledge that comparing stats for two different players from different teams is imperfect at best, it is my assessment that AEH is a better pure shooter than Megan, even though Megan has outshot her both from the arc & overall. But on everything else, it is my assessment that Megan is a much better player.

Perhaps some day AEH will be a better player than Megan, but she will really have to work on her defense, rebounding and passing. As of right now, AEH is a hired gun who is starting because Chloe Bibby is out for the season, and MS St needs a shooter to help spread the floor so opponents can’t collapse on McCowan.

I know some optimistic MS St fans have compared AEH to Victoria Vivians, but she has a long, long way to go before she’s even close to Vivians.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom