Megan Walker | The Boneyard

Megan Walker

Reaction Score
I tried to watch Megan a lot on Sunday (picked a good game for it!) and was really struck by the difference over last year. Aside from the mental part of the game, man, she really has become a physical presence. Reminded me of the video of her and Pheesa working with Pheesa's trainer last summer. So much stronger looking. Watching her over the next 2 1/2 years is really going to be fun.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I tried to watch Megan a lot on Sunday (picked a good game for it!) and was really struck by the difference over last year. Aside from the mental part of the game, man, she really has become a physical presence. Reminded me of the video of her and Pheesa working with Pheesa's trainer last summer. So much stronger looking. Watching her over the next 2 1/2 years is really going to be fun.

I posted this yesterday in another thread, it coincides with your thoughts on Megan.
"Megan is still learning how to play “Geno” ball. There’s high school ball, AAU ball, then there’s Geno ball.
I agree with you that it appears she’s got the hang of it now. Last year was a season of basic training for her.

After she learned the basics, and made the transition to this elite level of play, then she was in a position to learn the smaller details of how Geno wants her to play and perform within his system on both ends of the court.

When there is a series of lessons to be learned, you learn and master lesson 1 before you move on to lesson 2. Megan is in the midst of mastering lesson 2. She’s just about got it. You can tell how comfortable she is this season by how much she's smiling. She seldom smiled at all last year.

Remember, she played sparingly last year and wasn't on the floor long enough for stretches at a time to develop any consistent rhythm, and was subject to being pulled when her play failed to meet Geno’s expectations.

We’re seeing the same thing in Christyn, but Geno is not as quick to pull her as he was Megan, plus she’s getting starter’s minutes as opposed to Megan's reserve minutes that she shared with Azure Stevens."
Megan played 495 minutes last season (avg 15 mpg) Played in 32 games, started none.

Last edited by a moderator:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the next step in her development is feeling comfortable posting up
players, slowing down and developing some nice counter (step under) moves.

Reaction Score
Megan has been a welcome revelation. She looks so much more confident now -- she actually looks for her shot. And is hitting them with regularity. The only real flaw I see in her game is a surprising one: she still has trouble finishing at the rim. It's surprising because she is so strong and athletic. When she gets that down, she will be a beast we will all enjoy for the next 2 years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Right now, Megan is generally matched up with bigger players at forward. What I’d really like to see is Megan move to the wing spot where she has the ability to physically dominate opposing players.

It won’t happen this year. It will only happen next year if Touly, Kyla or some as yet unknown frontcourt transfer starts alongside Liv.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just how imagine how good she'd be if Geno weren't such a bad coach who had wasted her last year. :rolleyes:

It really depends on the player's internal fortitude. It was entirely possible that Megan could have gotten down on herself, blamed her environment for lack of opportunities and empathy and look for a way out. Instead, she did what many top rated freshman players at UConn did and worked her butt off on many facets of her game and body. With another step of improvement this summer and the need to be the dominant force on the team next year, I look for her to be an AA

Reaction Score
You have "Geno Ball" just like you have "Muffett Ball", just like you have "Jeff Walz Ball", just like you have "Vic Ball" just like you have "Dawn Staley Ball", just like you have "Kim Mulkey Ball". Certain players are able to adapt well to the demands and expectations of each and certain players cannot. Just like certain coaches expect and demand players to adapt to "Their Style of Ball" when they simply can't. Thus the reason why you see players like Erin Boley leaving Notre Dame to thrive at Oregon and AEH leaving UCONN to improve vastly under Vic at Mississippi State. It's important for the player to do a better job of thoroughly understanding the Coach (and their style and demands) before committing, as well as for the Coach to better understand the player, before making an offer.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You have "Geno Ball" just like you have "Muffett Ball", just like you have "Jeff Walz Ball", just like you have "Vic Ball" just like you have "Dawn Staley Ball", just like you have "Kim Mulkey Ball". Certain players are able to adapt well to the demands and expectations of each and certain players cannot. Just like certain coaches expect and demand players to adapt to "Their Style of Ball" when they simply can't. Thus the reason why you see players like Erin Boley leaving Notre Dame to thrive at Oregon and AEH leaving UCONN to improve vastly under Vic at Mississippi State. It's important for the player to do a better job of thoroughly understanding the Coach (and their style and demands) before committing, as well as for the Coach to better understand the player, before making an offer.
Why do I get the impression that you have your pet theme that you absolutely must find a way to force into every comment regardless of how off topic it is.

Reaction Score
Why do I get the impression that you have your pet theme that you absolutely must find a way to force into every comment regardless of how off topic it is.

Who me???? Nah ! On the contrary, I was just commenting on the post concerning "Geno Ball" and staying "On Topic"

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Who me???? Nah ! On the contrary, I was just commenting on the post concerning "Geno Ball" and staying "On Topic"

Let's test your claim:
Thus the reason why you see players like Erin Boley leaving Notre Dame to thrive at Oregon and AEH leaving UCONN to improve vastly under Vic at Mississippi State.

You fail.
1551126122319.png

Reaction Score
Certain players are able to adapt well to the demands and expectations of each and certain players cannot. Just like certain coaches expect and demand players to adapt to "Their Style of Ball" when they simply can't. Thus the reason why you see players like Erin Boley leaving Notre Dame to thrive at Oregon and AEH leaving UCONN to improve vastly under Vic at Mississippi State. It's important for the player to do a better job of thoroughly understanding the Coach (and their style and demands) before committing, as well as for the Coach to better understand the player, before making an offer.
Snuck that in there, huh? My understanding is AEH left due to her unwillingness to accede to the coaching staff's demands regarding her facial jewelry - not problems with "Geno ball."

Reaction Score
Snuck that in there, huh? My understanding is AEH left due to her unwillingness to accede to the coaching staff's demands regarding her facial jewelry - not problems with "Geno ball."

"Your Understanding" or that being the official word from the UCONN Athletic Office? Allot has been speculated concerning what happened. AEH alledegedly posted something bad about Geno and it was taken down. Geno alledegedly posted something negative about AEH and it was taken down. All speculation and until it is validated by the Athletic Office (which we all know will never happen), this is all it is.

As I have said, UCONN and "Geno Ball" works out great for allot of players and for some it doesn't work at all. Just like at Notre Dame. Either you like and accept "The Muffett Way of Life" or you don't. Not every school works out 100% of the time, for either the player and coach or coach and player.

Geez, look at the number of players who left Tennessee and Pat Summit over the years she coached at the school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Right now, Megan is generally matched up with bigger players at forward. What I’d really like to see is Megan move to the wing spot where she has the ability to physically dominate opposing players.

It won’t happen this year. It will only happen next year if Touly, Kyla or some as yet unknown frontcourt transfer starts alongside Liv.
I strongly agree with this. She could play a role similar to Maya Moore during her first couple of seasons where she would switch between the 3/4 positions based on who else was in the game. She was faster and had great range at the 4 spot, but could just shoot over or post up most opposing 3s so she shined in either role. I have a feeling Megan could do the same given her range and strength.

Reaction Score
She definitely has improved year over year. But what really surprises me is the improvement of ONO from the beginning of the season until now. She's finally in there battling. She's become a player, while she was a non-factor for the first half of the season at least.

Sorry to change the subject....

Reaction Score
I agree with most of the comments on her improvement, but after closely watching her this year I still get the sense that she really doesn't want to work in the post and would much rather shoot from the outside. It would also be great to see her drive to the hoop more often.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree with most of the comments on her improvement, but after closely watching her this year I still get the sense that she really doesn't want to work in the post and would much rather shoot from the outside. It would also be great to see her drive to the hoop more often.
I think you might have been able to say that last year about Z, but honestly, over the last several games, it’s clear to me from watching Liv, that CD’s tutoring sessions on low-post play are really starting to sink in.

Liv is lean, but she is battling hard for position at both ends of the court. She’s not as foul prone and her footwork has improved dramatically. She’s developed some nice low-post moves on offense. Her foul shooting has improved significantly, and she is becoming a defensive force to be reckoned with in the paint, as her 6 blocks last night demonstrated.

Reaction Score
I have been impressed by the development of our bench, especially compared to last year. I see real improvement in almost everyone from the bench from the beginning of the year. Now that tournament time is getting closer, Liv has become a real defensive presence I mean she disrupts shots like Kiah Stokes and as she learns more and more not to foul she will be a huge factor for us rest of this year and into the future. As for Coombs, I just see a natural flow to her positioning now on the defensive end and on the offensive end she is at least not hurting us. Her anticipation for steals and athleticism will be huge for us should we need to have a lock down defender for a few minutes against strong offensive guards in the tournament. The NCAA tournament is going to be great to watch this year.

Reaction Score

I had never heard any inkling of what the "team rules violation" might have been until this post - interesting.

At the time, it was apparent to me that it probably had little to do with her playing ability or the coaching staff's opinion of her playing ability. Up until she disappeared from the lineup, she actually appeared to be transitioning into one of the more favored bench players, getting in earlier than most of the rest and starting to make more meaningful contributions.

In other words, what she was bringing to the court was fine at the time; other stuff was likely going on behind the scenes.

Reaction Score
I strongly agree with this. She could play a role similar to Maya Moore during her first couple of seasons where she would switch between the 3/4 positions based on who else was in the game. She was faster and had great range at the 4 spot, but could just shoot over or post up most opposing 3s so she shined in either role. I have a feeling Megan could do the same given her range and strength.

High praise for a poor Virginia woman from Chesterfield, Va (Richmond). I think if she read this she'll burst with pride. Now all she had to do is live up to it.
Maya a wonderful person, great WBB player. Thanks all around.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

And with the development of Olivia in the post, Megan could be playing the 3 or 4 next year. She is listed on the roster as a forward.

She's 6' 1" and can rebound well. Her mid-range shot is fine as is her 3 point shot. There have been flashes of her taking her defender off the dribble and driving the lane.

Time will tell.

Reaction Score

I completely agree. I think she is a more natural SF rather than a PF.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The Pet Theme is that @Chong-Master is not and has never been on TEAM Megan.
Sorry folks, but Megan Walker is NOT a front line starter. She starts out of necssity. .... And while Griffin will be the Wing Guard that Geno was expecting AEH to be.....
Of course Aubrey was NEVER supposed to becoming to UCONN. I'm glad Aubrey is coming though so I get to look forward to 4 more years of Geno "misusing" yet another Ossining Player-can't wait.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think you might have been able to say that last year about Z, but honestly, over the last several games, it’s clear to me from watching Liv, that CD’s tutoring sessions on low-post play are really starting to sink in.

Liv is lean, but she is battling hard for position at both ends of the court. She’s not as foul prone and her footwork has improved dramatically. She’s developed some nice low-post moves on offense. Her foul shooting has improved significantly, and she is becoming a defensive force to be reckoned with in the paint, as her 6 blocks last night demonstrated.

I was talking about Meg, not Liv.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom