Megan Walker | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I beg to differ. She played in 87 games, scoring 464 points for the Huskies, shooting 55.9 percent from the field. She was a big part of of UConn's 2007-08 Final Four team. She couldn't practice regularly, but the coaching (and athletic training) staff clearly figured out a way for her to be productive.
The question wasn't whether Hunter was a productive or valuable member of the team. The question was why did Charde Houston play in the post. She was better than the three options that were listed - Hunter, Crockett and Moore.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
Yep, I remember Moore doing a redshirt. I just don't remember Strother playing post , I remember those three playing there at times during her time but that was awhile ago.
Yea I remember Strother being more a three than anything else. It's been so long ago though that she could have played power forward as well. Someone with a better memory can probably chime in.

Reaction Score
The question wasn't whether Hunter was a productive or valuable member of the team. The question was why did Charde Houston play in the post. She was better than the three options that were listed - Hunter, Crockett and Moore.

One of my favorite UCONN memories. Our guards could not handle the press (I think it was Rutgers). Geno had our guards take their defenders out of the way and Charde brought the ball up court against the big guarding her. This happened repeatedly. My favorite Charde game.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yep, I remember Moore doing a redshirt. I just don't remember Strother playing post , I remember those three playing there at times during her time but that was awhile ago.
Jess Moore was in Diana’s recruiting class but redshirted because she was playing behind Swin, Asjha, and Tamika.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
MW looked more like 6'2 or slightly taller in recent team photo I saw recently. I remember seeing and thinking she looked to be right between Phees and KLS as far as height. I just can't remember where I saw the photo within the last week.

Scubadog until I read your post I was sure hallucinations were not a symptom of the "bends." See the picture below. Irwin is 6'2".
upload_2018-3-9_19-46-17.png

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Collier looks like she is taller than 6'1". She looks taller than Irwin and as tall as Batouly.

Reaction Score
Yea I remember Strother being more a three than anything else. It's been so long ago though that she could have played power forward as well. Someone with a better memory can probably chime in.
She played the 3 almost always. She gamely played power forward for a few games when needed, but that clearly wasn't her strength.

Reaction Score
I just read both Phillycoach & Misters2 back and forth and both make valid and valuable points. Ultimately I tend to side more with Mister2, as what concerns me more is MW hasn't even really, fully solidified her 7th spot. Yes, she is and seemingly all year has had that almost handed to her. (Almost like Wilson and the POY voting). There have been multiple times, games and minutes where Kyla, Molly or another sub got in before her. With her supposed talent level(which we truly have only seen glimpses of in over 30 games), surely says something. Exactly what it is is not fully clear even to knowledgeable and truly interested outsiders as those here. It must at least partially be her attitude. The point that most concerns me in many sports, wbb and U Conns ebb is a players mental preparedness and attitude. One of the best points made was about KLS not initially being the first choice for the 5th spot. KLS yes fulfilled a role as a freshman, as did Gabby & Pheesa, (which the available role now is much, much more limitedon this team for MW) but they each did all they could to fulfill that role and get that playing time. Each of them became so much better as sophomores and now juniors and seniors because of their amazing, relentless desire to be better. So far that hasn't been all that evident in MW. It seems her talent and athletic ability will shine through and she will make that sophomore leap and / or the light will go on but everyone's emotional / mental development and the adjustments that takes are very different. Time will tell with MW but all the cheerleading, good wishes and anticipating won't get it done.
One of the reasons I love KLS is her desire, willingness and amazing motivation to constantly become a better player and teammate. Even making AA as a sophomore and probably having been the 3rd best player on the team last year, what did she do. Seems to me, she committed her summer and this year to make major strides in rebounding both offensively and defensively, defensively and has somehow been able to improve her already quite good shooting and passing. Both Gabby, Pheesa and Kia demonstrate similar growth and desire in their areas that can be improved. Those are the role models, growth and development that MW needs to see, do and fully embrace to become first a major player on the team and before AA or NPOY should even be mentioned. That's what Gabbys comments and its implied criticism of the freshmen was addressing.
I don't personally appreciate all the good wishes, hyping up a player, pampering that goes on more today than before. Swallow your pride and get with it and ALL the very hard work that's going to be required every day until one graduates and well beyond, to achieve those lofty goals. I surely hope MW can and does do it, but so far it's truly unclear the outcome for her. She though does have the ultimate control and the key(s) to it happening and the how and when it does.
Bronx23

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just read both Phillycoach & Misters2 back and forth and both make valid and valuable points. Ultimately I tend to side more with Mister2, as what concerns me more is MW hasn't even really, fully solidified her 7th spot. Yes, she is and seemingly all year has had that almost handed to her. (Almost like Wilson and the POY voting). There have been multiple times, games and minutes where Kyla, Molly or another sub got in before her. With her supposed talent level(which we truly have only seen glimpses of in over 30 games), surely says something. Exactly what it is is not fully clear even to knowledgeable and truly interested outsiders as those here. It must at least partially be her attitude. The point that most concerns me in many sports, wbb and U Conns ebb is a players mental preparedness and attitude. One of the best points made was about KLS not initially being the first choice for the 5th spot. KLS yes fulfilled a role as a freshman, as did Gabby & Pheesa, (which the available role now is much, much more limitedon this team for MW) but they each did all they could to fulfill that role and get that playing time. Each of them became so much better as sophomores and now juniors and seniors because of their amazing, relentless desire to be better. So far that hasn't been all that evident in MW. It seems her talent and athletic ability will shine through and she will make that sophomore leap and / or the light will go on but everyone's emotional / mental development and the adjustments that takes are very different. Time will tell with MW but all the cheerleading, good wishes and anticipating won't get it done.
One of the reasons I love KLS is her desire, willingness and amazing motivation to constantly become a better player and teammate. Even making AA as a sophomore and probably having been the 3rd best player on the team last year, what did she do. Seems to me, she committed her summer and this year to make major strides in rebounding both offensively and defensively, defensively and has somehow been able to improve her already quite good shooting and passing. Both Gabby, Pheesa and Kia demonstrate similar growth and desire in their areas that can be improved. Those are the role models, growth and development that MW needs to see, do and fully embrace to become first a major player on the team and before AA or NPOY should even be mentioned. That's what Gabbys comments and its implied criticism of the freshmen was addressing.
I don't personally appreciate all the good wishes, hyping up a player, pampering that goes on more today than before. Swallow your pride and get with it and ALL the very hard work that's going to be required every day until one graduates and well beyond, to achieve those lofty goals. I surely hope MW can and does do it, but so far it's truly unclear the outcome for her. She though does have the ultimate control and the key(s) to it happening and the how and when it does.
Bronx23
We are not be cheerleaders any more that you (much like Roger Clemens) are either misremembering, & understating KLS struggles as a Freshmen which were not that different from Megan Walker's.

The message was blunt.

"They kind of told me straight up, I wasn't playing hard enough, I didn't do enough of the little things and it had nothing to do with talent … I didn't talk enough," Samuelson said. "

Katie Lou Samuelson In The Spotlight: Learned The Game Is Harder At UConn

Reaction Score
Scubadog until I read your post I was sure hallucinations were not a symptom of the "bends." See the picture below. Irwin is 6'2".
View attachment 29245
Luckily I've never suffered from nitrogen narcosis. I can't remember where I saw the photo I described , and thought it was strange when I did. It's sure good to know there are so many truth watchdogs on this forum. We need a few in Washington. :)

Reaction Score
We are not be cheerleaders any more that you (much like Roger Clemens) are either misremembering, & understating KLS struggles as a Freshmen which were not that different from Megan Walker's.

The message was blunt.

"They kind of told me straight up, I wasn't playing hard enough, I didn't do enough of the little things and it had nothing to do with talent … I didn't talk enough," Samuelson said. "

Yeah, some of these posters are making this whole Walker thing way more cryptic and complicated than I believe it is. If any kid has the high level talent, if they just do the little things consistently, they'll play. Simple as that.

Reaction Score
Megan's a freshman, but more than that, even our seniors have good and bad shooting nights. Heck, Lou and Kia were both 1-6 from beyond the arc, and Kia only scored 5 points yet we aren't questioning if the light has gone on or off for them.

I do get it because Megan has had such an up and down season, and as some said, it remains to be seen what she can do against better competition. Keep in mind that even if Kia scores 0 points, her value is measured by what else she does, especially assists and defense. Megan is capable of playing really solid defense, and as Geno has stressed, "focus on what you do well" at this time of the season. I'm rooting for her!!
I believe Meg will be an exceptional. Player next year ...what a talent

Reaction Score

The message was blunt.

One can look at KLS comments and one can find similarities in what KLS said then, and what MW says and feels now.
But I think any further comparison between those two players is a stretch at best, at least at this point comparing where they are almost entering the tournament of the freshman year.
KLS, Gabby & Pheesa competed heavily for the fifth starting position and while all still had a huge way to go to even reach their soph seasons, they all contributed significantly more than MW. Yes I surely am a cheerleader for KLS but she went from her struggling freshman season to AA's as soph and probably the best player in the country as a Junior. And she still has a year and hopefully six games to go.
Also it's seeing KLS after her injury in the natl semi-finals cheerleading for her team when she had to be heart broken she couldn't play. Earlier this year after all the work she did over the summer and then she's out for a few games with another injury. What does she do? She excitedly cheers for her team - no sulking or feeling bad for herself.
MW and the other freshmen have incredible role models and coaches who truly demands and then follows through with each of them meeting their expectations and goals and beyond. They spend a huge amount of time, discussion and effort to ascertain which recruits can and will very likely fit in with their system, culture and expectations.
Now the younger players have to buy in fully and push themselves harder than they ever imagined possible.
Also I look at players like Kyla & Molly who get very little chance to play meaningful minutes but are seemingly thrilled to be a part of this team both while they are playing and while they are watching. They surely could play more meaningful minutes and even be significant parts of most other teams. Natalie Butler is another great example as she shines now in her new environment.
I truly hope especially MW begins to be ready and able to follow in the footsteps of all of those mentioned above, but also blazing her own path. If she does she likely will become a very strong, significant U Conn player. And if it falls a bit less than that she can look in her mirror and be proud she gave it her very best.
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Yeah, some of these posters are making this whole Walker thing way more cryptic and complicated than I believe it is. If any kid has the high level talent, if they just do the little things consistently, they'll play. Simple as that.
It's way more complicated than you seem to believe. Wishing or wanting to do those things and play more and doing them consistently is actually quite difficult. It takes a huge amount of time, energy, focus, concentration and understanding to do that. Especially when you were always a star prior. And probably never had anyone or certainly too many people telling you it's not good enough. How one reacts to that in and of itself, will tell volumes about the outcomes.
If this was as easy as you imply, why would anyone including Gabby, KLS or Pheesa as only three examples struggle with the process.
Bronx23

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom