Megan Walker WBCA HS Player of the Year | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Megan Walker WBCA HS Player of the Year

Reaction Score
I think that there is a similar problem even closer to the present than that. Will Geno decide during the NCAA tournament this year that Crystal needs to be in the starting lineup? If so, will she replace Kia or Saniya?

Or will he make that move early next year, to Kia's cost?

Crystal's work ethic in practice is reportedly coming up to UConn standards. Her game performance lately would suggest that she has earned the starting PG spot.
Nah, he won't do that now. Won't do anything to mess with their mindset going into the tournament.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Tough choices for Geno next year. It'll all shake out in practice. This I know. Fine young players like UConn's incoming class are still going to be stunned by the pace of play, mental toughness, and execution Geno their teammates require. What's also going to surprise them the first time they walk onto that practice court is the amount of talent and athleticism in the gym. Talent they are going have to face and/or beat out on a daily basis.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tough choices for Geno next year. It'll all shake out in practice. This I know. Fine young players like UConn's incoming class are still going to be stunned by the pace of play, mental toughness, and execution Geno their teammates require. What's also going to surprise them the first time they walk onto that practice court is the amount of talent and athleticism in the gym. Talent they are going have to face and/or beat out on a daily basis.
Once again, the actual games will be "easy."

JordyG

Reaction Score
Once again, the actual games will be "easy."
Yeah. What still echoes in my mind is Rellah Boothe's comment after committing to Texas when she was upset about not being rated higher. #3 wasn't high enough. She stated here in my paraphrase that she would now go out and average 50 a game. I don't know if she meant in her last HS year or at Texas. I thought to myself the day that she first walks into Texas' practice gym and sees Sutton, White, Higgs, Housey, McCarty, Holmes, the 2 Goudreau's, Atkins and Aborowa her head is going to spin at the amount of talent and athleticism on that court; maybe then she'll realize her hubris, the target she's placed on her back, and the disrespect she's given to those players that play WCBB.

Nah, probably not.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

You're right Jordy, but it sure is going to be fun watching them play next season as the newbies get their "toe-hold" at some point during the season. :D

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
No one has mentioned that in-season injuries play a large part in playing time. Since there has yet to be a season where no UConn starter has missed playing time, it's pretty safe to believe that it will happen next year also. I think if you do the research, most if not all of the prized freshman got their chance to start due to an injury of a starter. It's just bound to happen. Walker will get her chance.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think that there is a similar problem even closer to the present than that. Will Geno decide during the NCAA tournament this year that Crystal needs to be in the starting lineup? If so, will she replace Kia or Saniya?

Or will he make that move early next year, to Kia's cost?

Crystal's work ethic in practice is reportedly coming up to UConn standards. Her game performance lately would suggest that she has earned the starting PG spot.

Well, we do know one thing. There's only 1 opening. Now who fills it, we'll (the BY) be debating that all summer, and will have an answer for Geno come November.
Here's my 2 cents worth on this:

1. I don't think Geno brought Azura Stevens in to come off the bench. Too much height and talent to languish on the bench. I'd bet the farm she starts. I bet he wishes he could use her NOW!!!

2. Come November, Dangerous will have shed her freshman cocoon, having gone through the ills of freshman growing pains. She'll be ready to play every game like the Baylor game. Making good decisions, great passes & very few turnovers. She'll be a "pass-first" PG. Her assist totals at the end of the year should be through the roof. I think she continues to come off the bench until her junior year. She will still get a ton of playing time (don't be surprised if she's the 6th man), as she really re-introduces herself to the league. "Hi, I'm Crystal Dangerfield. I get buckets, assists, and break ankles". :D

Carnac

Reaction Score
I can hear the haters ... "UCONN gets all the best players!!"

We know we really don't, but to them, it seems that way. :) What are you going to do? Haters gonna hate. :mad:

JordyG

Reaction Score
You're right Jordy, but it sure is going to be fun watching them play next season as the newbies get their "toe-hold" at some point during the season. :D
What's going to be interesting to me is exactly which ones get it quickly, which ones get it eventually, which ones surprise us, and which ones are going to stars. I think I'll save that for an end of season thread.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Well, we do know one thing. There's only 1 opening. Now who fills it, we'll (the BY) be debating that all summer, and will have an answer for Geno come November.
Here's my 2 cents worth on this:

1. I don't think Geno brought Azura Stevens in to come off the bench. Too much height and talent to languish on the bench. I'd bet the farm she starts. I bet he wishes he could use her NOW!!!

2. Come November, Dangerous will have shed her freshman cocoon, having gone through the ills of freshman growing pains. She'll be ready to play every game like the Baylor game. Making good decisions, great passes & very few turnovers. She'll be a "pass-first" PG. Her assist totals at the end of the year should be through the roof. I think she continues to come off the bench until her junior year. She will still get a ton of playing time (don't be surprised if she's the 6th man), as she really re-introduces herself to the league. "Hi, I'm Crystal Dangerfield. I get buckets, assists, and break ankles". :D
The real issue is if Azura starts and Crystal Dangerfield continues this arc of improvement where does that leave Gabby? Can KLS successfully move to the 2 leaving Gabby up front? Does Crystal Dangerfield move into the starting role at the #1 or still come off the bench?

Carnac

Reaction Score
The real issue is if Azura starts and Crystal Dangerfield continues this arc of improvement where does that leave Gabby? Can KLS successfully move to the 2 leaving Gabby up front? Does Crystal Dangerfield move into the starting role at the #1 or still come off the bench?

To address your question of "Does Crystal Dangerfield move into the starting role at the #1 or still come off the bench?" I'm guessing here..............she comes off the bench. I expect to see a guard (Kia) & 4 forwards, or 2 guards (Kia & Lou) and 3 forwards/wings. Remember what the team said about Stewart? They said, and I quote: "Stewie ain't no post". Stevens is not a post player either. I think Geno will have her emulate Lou (play all over the floor). i.e, on the block, on the wing, at the top of the key (ala Dolson), where ever they can get her the ball, and an open look. They need her height in the lineup.

They will run plays for her. If she is a good passer, she can play at the top of the key, see the entire floor, hit players along in the corner, players cutting to the basket, or Naphessa posting up some poor wretched soul on the block, or shoot from there if necessary. Nobody is going to block her shot.

That first exhibition game in November, I can see Stevens and the returning starters from this season taking the floor. If Geno sends another combination out there, I'd be surprised. Note....I'll be OK with whoever he sends out there! I really don't think he would sit any of the returning starters next season. He'll have a seasoned/mature starting unit: 2 seniors (Gabby & Nurse) - 2 juniors (Lou & Napheesa), & a red-shirt junior (Stevens).

That would be a very formidable line-up. With Danger, Butler, and the rest of the "Bench mob" ready to come in, and play their support roles. I know I'll get some argument/push back for this, but IMO, IF he was to sit one of the starters in favor of Danger, it would not be Lou, Gabby or Napheesa. I think he would miss Gabby and all the things she can and does do, more so than Kia. I know others will disagree.

I don't think he can afford the luxury of bringing Gabby off the bench. However, IF he does, She'll be one heck of an instant spark plug coming into the game. Good things will happen for UConn as soon as she steps on the floor, and there would be no drop off on either end of the court.

Disclaimer - this entire narrative is mere supposition, and as such, is not fit for human consumption. One thing is for sure, Geno will have a lot more options this winter, than he did last year. :)

Last edited:

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Well I'll just add my two cents..
If it were me coaching the team I would Start with Lou, Napheesa, Gabby, Dangerfield & Azura
I truly think that is the most potent line-up on paper, Don't know if the chemistry will equate to that on the court but those are my thoughts.. and it will be very difficult for Geno not to start Kia in her senior year..
It really doesn't matter who comes off the bench out of Kia, Danger or Azura.. This team will be a nightmare next year, Lord help the opposing teams...

Reaction Score
If it were me coaching the team I would Start with Lou, Napheesa, Gabby, Dangerfield & Azura
I truly think that is the most potent line-up on paper, Don't know if the chemistry will equate to that on the court but those are my thoughts.. and it will be very difficult for Geno not to start Kia in her senior year..
It really doesn't matter who comes off the bench out of Kia, Danger or Azura.. This team will be a nightmare next year, Lord help the opposing teams...

Kia is not coming off the bench, period!!! Crystal will once again be the first player off the bench.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I still think the bigger issue than who starts is how he finds minutes for all that talent. Geno seems comfortable playing 7 maybe 8.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

"If it were me coaching"

Glad Geno is coaching.

Reaction Score

I think Azura takes over Butler's role, coming in for 15-20 minutes a game. He has to use his freshman, so they will have to take minutes from the starters, at least during the more relaxed AAC season. Crystal will start, barring a collapse in training camp, because Geno is loyal that way. And Crystal is extremely talented, and likely to really blossom next year at the point.

I don't see Butler getting much time, though. I think that we'll see six players playing regularly, plus three freshmen and Camara fighting for minutes. So could be a tough early season for the new arrivals, and newly eligible. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or two decide that they're too frustrated waiting their turn, and transfer. Of course, Irwin and Bent will also have some soul-searching to do in the off-season. They seem likely to have to wait behind the new six arrivals, making minutes even more difficult to come by than they were this season.

Transfers happen, even at UConn.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
"If it were me coaching"

Glad Geno is coaching.
LOL, I really don't think you guys understand exactly how Talented Azura Stevens is, many in the know had/have her projected as the best POY candidate on the roster next year.. and with her having this year to learn the system it will be extremely difficult for Geno to keep her from starting or at least playing 25+ mins per game.. Plus she has already been getting high praise from her Coaches.. And with Crystal Dangerfield being the only real true point guard, if she continues to progress at the rate she is going, I don't know how you keep her out of the lineup as well..

I'm glad he is the coach as well, but I'm sure he will base his starters next year on how well they play in practice on a given week.. and that could change even for some current starters..

JordyG

Reaction Score
I think Azura takes over Butler's role, coming in for 15-20 minutes a game. He has to use his freshman, so they will have to take minutes from the starters, at least during the more relaxed AAC season. Crystal will start, barring a collapse in training camp, because Geno is loyal that way. And Crystal is extremely talented, and likely to really blossom next year at the point.

I don't see Butler getting much time, though. I think that we'll see six players playing regularly, plus three freshmen and Camara fighting for minutes. So could be a tough early season for the new arrivals, and newly eligible. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one or two decide that they're too frustrated waiting their turn, and transfer. Of course, Irwin and Bent will also have some soul-searching to do in the off-season. They seem likely to have to wait behind the new six arrivals, making minutes even more difficult to come by than they were this season.

Azura won't come in for only 15-20 mins a game if Geno continues to believe she's an AA. She's a red shirt that was near AA quality at Duke. She has the requisite size UConn is lacking this year. The reports out of practice is this young lady is phenomenal. All of this adds up to 30 mins. a game. Of course time and next years practices will tell, but to me the signs are clear.

Reaction Score
Azura won't come in for only 15-20 mins a game if Geno continues to believe she's an AA. She's a red shirt that was near AA quality at Duke. She has the requisite size UConn is lacking this year. The reports out of practice is this young lady is phenomenal. All of this adds up to 30 mins. a game. Of course time and next years practices will tell, but to me the signs are clear.
Stevens could also be one and done next year since she will be a senior. Without Crystal Dangerfield in the starting line up, that is going to be a slower team since we're losing our fastest starter to graduation, but I guess we can trade speed for height. Not sure I like Lou as a guard since her ball handling is not great, but as long as Kia is doing most of that work anyway I guess it would be OK.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't think any of this year's starters gets "demoted." The question is one of size and athleticism (Azura) or quickness and ball handling (Crystal).

I think Geno will bring the frosh, other than Meg, along slowly. It will be interesting to see if Mikayla, Andi, or Lexi moves ahead of the others. My guess would be Mikayla, because her skills are different from the those of the others. Plus, some folks rank her clearly in the top 10.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't think that Geno brought in Z to be a one-year player. He could tell her: You'll get major minutes this year and you replace Gabby as a starter the following year.

Reaction Score
I don't think any of this year's starters gets "demoted." The question is one of size and athleticism (Azura) or quickness and ball handling (Crystal).

I think Geno will bring the frosh, other than Meg, along slowly. It will be interesting to see if Mikayla, Andi, or Lexi moves ahead of the others. My guess would be Mikayla, because her skills are different from the those of the others. Plus, some folks rank her clearly in the top 10.
I agree, IF they win the NC. Otherwise Kia may struggle to start. IMO Z, Lou, Gabby and Napheesa are locks, and Crystal will be pushing Kia.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I would bet the ranch that next year's starters will be this year's core 4 + Z, with Danger first off the bench. Plenty of minutes for everyone and a great change of pace once Danger is in the game. Batouly would likely be the 1st front court sub.

After those 7, Geno will really be challenged to figure out a rotation and get minutes for everyone else. Nat, Kyla & Molly all return and they will most assuredly improve, but they will be pushed by 4 very talented freshmen including NPOY Megan Walker.

The only thing I know for sure is that the competition at practice will be fierce.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Funny you should say that about Bent and Irwin. I suggested the same thing a couple of months ago, and got some severe push back from several posters. I didn't suggest that they may transfer though. I don't think either of them will. They're role players. I think they're both here for the duration. We'll see.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom