Megan Walker WBCA HS Player of the Year | The Boneyard

Megan Walker WBCA HS Player of the Year

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Walker, a 6-foot-1 forward at Monacan High in Richmond, Va., is averaging 25.5 points, 7.5 rebounds and 3.1 steals per game as a senior heading into Friday's Virginia 4A championship game. She has seven 30-point games this season with five double-doubles.

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: UConn signee Megan Walker is WBCA Player of Year

WBCA HS All American Team

Rellah Boothe IMG Academy Senior Forward
Chennedy Carter Mansfield Timberview High School Senior Guard
Maya Dodson St. Francis High School Senior Guard
Dana Evans West Side High School Senior Guard
Anastasia Hayes Riverdale High School Senior Guard
Michaela Onyenwere Grandview High School Senior Forward
Chasity Patterson North Shore Senior High School Senior Guard
Megan Walker Monacan High School Senior Guard
Evina Westbrook South Salem High School Senior Guard
Kiana Williams Wagner High School Senior Guard

Reaction Score
I-Like-to-Clap.jpeg

Will be a great 7th-man next season! :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
When Maya was a freshman, Geno said, "I like to bring her in off the bench, because I don't think the other team has anyone on their bench who can match up with her." It was extreme understatement. The fact of the matter was that no other team had a starter who could match up with her. She finished second behind Candace Parker in the AP POY voting.

I don't expect that Meg will have the impact that Maya did, but I think she will be an impact player. Even though the team will be loaded with talent, I expect Meg to stand out. Napheesa and Lou were pretty good last year. Kaleena and Stewie were good as frosh. Meg will be better than most of the players she plays against, regardless of their class.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I keep seeing people compare her playing style to Maya's - I just don't see a huge amount of similarities as far as how she moves and how she goes about her business. Similar positions and effectiveness, outstanding impact all over the court, yes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I keep seeing people compare her playing style to Maya's - I just don't see a huge amount of similarities as far as how she moves and how she goes about her business. Similar positions and effectiveness, outstanding impact all over the court, yes.
I think her style is a little like Maya's. Of past UConn players, I think the comparison to Maya is as close as I can come up with. Maybe a little like Nykesha too. Or think of Kalana Green with 3" of additional height before her injury. Meg is not as defensively oriented, but her size and skills remind me a little of Catch.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I think her style is a little like Maya's. Of past UConn players, I think the comparison to Maya is as close as I can come up with. Maybe a little like Nykesha too. Or think of Kalana Green with 3" of additional height before her injury. Meg is not as defensively oriented, but her size and skills remind me a little of Catch.

Catch seems like a much closer comparison to me.

Reaction Score
Time will tell, Geno will develop her to her fullest capabilities, if she works hard.
Maya Moore had the basketball instincts of Larry Bird , she knew where the ball was going to end up before it got there. One of kind, IMO

Reaction Score
Walker, a 6-foot-1 forward at Monacan High in Richmond, Va., is averaging 25.5 points, 7.5 rebounds and 3.1 steals per game as a senior heading into Friday's Virginia 4A championship game. She has seven 30-point games this season with five double-doubles.

The New Haven Register Blogs: Elm City to Eagleville: UConn signee Megan Walker is WBCA Player of Year

WBCA HS All American Team

Rellah Boothe IMG Academy Senior Forward
Chennedy Carter Mansfield Timberview High School Senior Guard
Maya Dodson St. Francis High School Senior Guard
Dana Evans West Side High School Senior Guard
Anastasia Hayes Riverdale High School Senior Guard
Michaela Onyenwere Grandview High School Senior Forward
Chasity Patterson North Shore Senior High School Senior Guard
Megan Walker Monacan High School Senior Guard
Evina Westbrook South Salem High School Senior Guard
Kiana Williams Wagner High School Senior Guard
We only got one?:(

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When Maya was a freshman, Geno said, "I like to bring her in off the bench, because I don't think the other team has anyone on their bench who can match up with her." It was extreme understatement. The fact of the matter was that no other team had a starter who could match up with her. She finished second behind Candace Parker in the AP POY voting.

I don't expect that Meg will have the impact that Maya did, but I think she will be an impact player. Even though the team will be loaded with talent, I expect Meg to stand out. Napheesa and Lou were pretty good last year. Kaleena and Stewie were good as frosh. Meg will be better than most of the players she plays against, regardless of their class.

Ah the bloom of spring romance! Miford you know as well as I do that our freshman arrive by way of the turnip truck according to the Legend himself. None can play defense, how to set a screen, or how to maximize a screen set for them, etc., etc., etc. So it may be your initial expectations are a bit overblown. Chapter 2: Conditioning.

Don't get me wrong, I'm high on Meghan and each of our recruits. But UConn isn't the steam roller it is because it is easy to get right into the flow.

Reaction Score
Just throwing this out there to see reactions. I don't expect it to happen and it's strictly hypothetical but what if? Put yourself in Auriemma's position and after working this offseason with some good people, Walker comes in this summer and preseason and absolutely knocks your socks off in competition with your returning kids. Attitude and work ethic are off the charts. I understand how it's been handled in the past and for the most part why. But what if this were a freak case? How would you handle it and do you think Auriemma would stick to form of the past?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
From the highlights I've seen, the comparison to Maya is appropriate. Megan is a big, strong wing who can take defenders off the dribble, shoot the 3 and rebound with the bigs.

Only time will tell whether she achieves anything like the level of success that Maya achieved at UConn, but I think she has the ability to make an impact as a freshman, even with all the talent that the Huskies will have next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ah the bloom of spring romance! Miford you know as well as I do that our freshman arrive by way of the turnip truck according to the Legend himself. None can play defense, how to set a screen, or how to maximize a screen set for them, etc., etc., etc. So it may be your initial expectations are a bit overblown. Chapter 2: Conditioning.

Don't get me wrong, I'm high on Meghan and each of our recruits. But UConn isn't the steam roller it is because it is easy to get right into the flow.
Ok, maybe a little overdone, but I expect Meg to be comparable to the Lou and Pheesa of last year. Both struggled at times, but both did well by and large. I thought that Lou was a top-20 player nationally by the end of the season. And Pheesa helped us considerably in a few games late in the post-season.

Maya had a lot to learn as a freshman, but her skill and intensity covered that up. She was probably the best freshman ever. I don't expect Meg to be at that level. But I do expect her to stand out in a very positive way.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
From the highlights I've seen, the comparison to Maya is appropriate. Megan is a big, strong wing who can take defenders off the dribble, shoot the 3 and rebound with the bigs.

Only time will tell whether she achieves anything like the level of success that Maya achieved at UConn, but I think she has the ability to make an impact as a freshman, even with all the talent that the Huskies will have next year.
I can see Meg outscoring the entire opposition in the 4th quarter.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just throwing this out there to see reactions. I don't expect it to happen and it's strictly hypothetical but what if? Put yourself in Auriemma's position and after working this offseason with some good people, Walker comes in this summer and preseason and absolutely knocks your socks off in competition with your returning kids. Attitude and work ethic are off the charts. I understand how it's been handled in the past and for the most part why. But what if this were a freak case? How would you handle it and do you think Auriemma would stick to form of the past?
I hope that Meg is all of that. If she is, I still don't see her as better than Maya. So, Geno would work her in as he did with Maya. Hopefully, we won't have the injuries that we had in Maya's first season. The other five are so good next year, I don't see Meg as being better than them in October, though she may have the most potential on the team. She could be the best bench player since Maya Moore.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I can hear the haters ... "UCONN gets all the best players!!"

Would they be happier to lose to UConn if the Huskies had crummy players? They'd lose either way.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
You guys are nuts!!
It will take Megan Walker, (MegaCONN) practically the entire regular season to feel comfortable at UCONN next year, do you guys realize who she will be going against in practice?! (Only Gabby Williams & Kia Nurse) Not to mention the Physical and mental adjustment practically all freshmen go through going from HS to College, she will be gasping for air and struggling to function while being pushed to mental and physical exhaustion.. Sure she will be ready come Tournament time just as the others before her, but that beautiful mid range games of hers will be met with the length of Z and Pheesa at practice all season long.. I really hope she and the other (3) freshmen are ready for the challenge... A rude awakening awaits them all..

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Like Kia Nurse and Katie Lou form of the past ... sure, it could happen. But who would you bump?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think that there is a similar problem even closer to the present than that. Will Geno decide during the NCAA tournament this year that Crystal needs to be in the starting lineup? If so, will she replace Kia or Saniya?

Or will he make that move early next year, to Kia's cost?

Crystal's work ethic in practice is reportedly coming up to UConn standards. Her game performance lately would suggest that she has earned the starting PG spot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom