Megan Walker — solid | The Boneyard

Megan Walker — solid

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I have not been one to lavish MW with praise all that often. I’ve been more of a “show me” type in her case.

That said , while CW was a star tonight , Megan took a YUUUGE step forward with this game. On offense, she was patient while still aggressive. The opposite of her freshman campaign for the most part. I feel like I hear Bill Raftery’s voice in my head, with that little grin: “...judicious!!” She took shots that the defense gave, was confident off the bounce, showed some excellent decion-making in the mid range, and got rid of the ball well when doubled. Precious few errors out there despite heavy minutes

On defense she’s in superb position for the most part vs. Turner , also on Shephard, and fought cleanly on the boards, on 50-50 balls, etc. , winning lots of those little battles—without hearing the announcer speak her name every 5 minutes ! :D

This was a quietly marvelous game that she did not have in her last year. Talk about solid.

Kudos to Miss Walker

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Tremendous poise tonight. When her shots didn’t fall early she concentrated on rebounding and defense - very mature of her.

I also saw her bodying up the taller Shepard with a lot of success. It looks to me like she’s been working hard in the weight room.

Reaction Score
Walker's MO out of high school was she's good at everything but great at nothing but winning................................many didn't think she deserved the number one spot coming out of high school because she didn't have many spectacular moves...........................she's just rock solid and should continue to improve into a consistent 16 and 8 player by next year.............

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Walker's MO out of high school was she's good at everything but great at nothing but winning.......many didn't think she deserved the number one spot coming out of high school because she didn't have many spectacular moves.......she's just rock solid and should continue to improve into a consistent 16 and 8 player by next year...
I watched Megan several times in HS when I used to live in Chesterfield, VA. While I generally agree with you, the one thing that Megan could do was take over a game whenever it was necessary, usually be taking the ball and driving to the basket like a freight train and either scoring, getting to the foul line or both.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Tremendous poise tonight. When her shots didn’t fall early she concentrated on rebounding and defense - very mature of her.

I also saw her bodying up the taller Shepard with a lot of success. It looks to me like she’s been working hard in the weight room.

While her upper body work gets more notice, Megan is clearly very strong in the lower body and was giving the ND bigs some serious, honest D for sure. A bit like Maya in that she plays big among the trees. Not the high wire act of Gabby W but very effective

Reaction Score
I watched Megan several times in HS when I used to live in Chesterfield, VA. While I generally agree with you, the one thing that Megan could do was take over a game whenever it was necessary, usually be taking the ball and driving to the basket like a freight train and either scoring, getting to the foul line or both.

I remember there was a championship game where she scored something like the final 16 points to win the game....................I guess my point is she's not one of these super flashy offensive machines like a Chennedy Carter or Evina Westbrook who I think was her competition that year for top dog.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Megan had the misfortune (or was fortunate) to play behind 3 AA players in Gabby, Napheesa, & KLS. She has not been needed to take over games like she did in HS. Being a role player & solid contributor can be a very hard adjustment to make once you have learned to take over games. Next year she will be needed to take over games and she has the ability to.

Reaction Score
I draw a strong parallel to Gabby Williams, who by necessity had to play out of position for her entire career and yet became an All-American. Megan, unless something significantly changes, is going to have to be a post player defensively for her entire career, which she probably never envisioned in high school. However, though she will never be the athletic or defensive force that Gabby was, she is a much better shooter. No traditional post player will ever be able to guard her effectively, which gives UConn a dimension that even Gabby could not bring. I can't wait to see what happens in the Baylor game; she will give Cox fits.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I draw a strong parallel to Gabby Williams, who by necessity had to play out of position for her entire career and yet became an All-American. Megan, unless something significantly changes, is going to have to be a post player defensively for her entire career, which she probably never envisioned in high school. However, though she will never be the athletic or defensive force that Gabby was, she is a much better shooter. No traditional post player will ever be able to guard her effectively, which gives UConn a dimension that even Gabby could not bring. I can't wait to see what happens in the Baylor game; she will give Cox fits.
I agree. However, I think Megan will likely be matched up with Brown when UConn meets Baylor with Pheesa on Cox. Megan is exceptionally strong and better suited to body Brown away from the basket, much the same as she did with Turner yesterday.

Reaction Score
I remember there was a championship game where she scored something like the final 16 points to win the game.

It seems to me highly possible that with all the talent on last year's team, and Geno's usual freshman snaggle, Megan did not feel needed, which it seems drives her excellence, as in that game you mention in your post. This year, after much hard work, Megan KNOWS she is not only needed, but crucial to our wins. I see an excellent season with key buckets and stops for a great woman.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Spot on boreifs. Prime example of the way Geno & CD & Shea and now Jas develop players over their four years. Lou is another example of the evolution of a player from frosh to senior.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My favorite play from Meg was in the second half - maybe last quarter - when she worked her way underneath (very underneath) to the left side and got a reverse layup off the floor. The margin for error on a play like that is very, very small. That was a composed, big time play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom