Megan speaks | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Megan speaks

Reaction Score
We feel it in our bones. :)

I sometimes think that we "flatter" ourselves when it comes to the relevance of the BY to the rest of the WBB world..................I view it as an extension of my discussions in the local watering hole although those can get far more contentious among some involved........

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
other then some BY quotes from those "so called" basketball experts that turn up now and again how do we know that team affiliated folks are currently reading the BY?
I, personally, have been interviewed for an LA newspaper, was taped for the 60 Minutes segment on Geno, and interviewed in TK Karmels book on the Huskies. I’ve spoken to player parents and am Facebook friends with one.

Besides, years ago Tonya Cardoza told me at a UConn event that “everyone” reads the Boneyard except Geno. I asked Geno at that same event and he said he doesn’t although his wife reads it occasionally so h knows what’s going on. He called the Boneyard out once, by name

Reaction Score
I, personally, have been interviewed for an LA newspaper, was taped for the 60 Minutes segment on Geno, and interviewed in TK Karmels book on the Huskies. I’ve spoken to player parents and am Facebook friends with one.

Besides, years ago Tonya Cardoza told me at a UConn event that “everyone” reads the Boneyard except Geno. I asked Geno at that same event and he said he doesn’t although his wife reads it occasionally so h knows what’s going on. He called the Boneyard out once, by name

Thanks for that............do they take anything said seriously or do they just find it amusing?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Thanks for that..do they take anything said seriously or do they just find it amusing?
They didn’t say. Kathy Auriemma gave me a warm greeting when I met her and she found out who I am, though.

I should have mentioned most of the current and former UConn beat writers are my Facebook friends. John A is no longer with the Courant, btw :-(

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
They didn’t say. Kathy Auriemma gave me a warm greeting when I met her and she found out who I am, though.

I should have mentioned most of the current and former UConn beat writers are my Facebook friends. John A is no longer with the Courant, btw :-(

If you happen to know and are able to share, where did John land? I really enjoyed his writing and miss it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was beside myself not because I wanted them to get another chance to play but rather because injured starters were sacrificed in order to prove a point...
You REALLY think Geno would "sacrifice injured starters"??? Wow. Just to be clear, you are saying that Geno played injured starters, purposely risking further injury to them so he could sit Coombs and Walker to prove a point?

That might be one of the worst and nastiest criticisms I've ever seen regarding Geno, and I've seen a lot. Head bang

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It sounds like the reporter reads the Boneyard:rolleyes::

"The public might see Walker produce in short segments and question Auriemma’s decision to keep riding her and sitting her. Or they might see her struggle and question Auriemma’s decision not to allow her to play through more mistakes.

That’s not how it works.

A player has to be succeeding at high levels in various areas — the film room, the classroom, the weight room, during practices. It’s been hard for Walker to string it all together, so her first season at UConn has become more about learning hard lessons than contributing to easy victories.

Why wouldn’t Auriemma change his approach? Because the program is built on expectations across the board. And if he was to let one player, a top recruit like Walker, be satisfied with mediocrity or rewarded while striving for anything less than perfection, well, the whole recipe goes out the window. A program is more about its process than its body of work, and that process — and, in turn, the program — would be negatively impacted."
Love this. It's so concise and makes perfect sense. You've got to be consistent so as to maintain and any deviation would shake the foundation of what the program is about.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

More than others here, you deserve that cred. Many of us, not so much! Keep up the BY rep,Nan.

Reaction Score
You REALLY think Geno would "sacrifice injured starters"??? Wow. Just to be clear, you are saying that Geno played injured starters, purposely risking further injury to them so he could sit Coombs and Walker to prove a point?

That might be one of the worst and nastiest criticisms I've ever seen regarding Geno, and I've seen a lot. Head bang

Did Crystal not have shinsplints and Gabby not have a bad hip for many weeks during the season and did Geno often play one or both of them into the fourth quarter instead of bringing in bench players? I'm sure he believed that playing them extra minutes would not worsen their condition but any time a player is on the court and especially hustlers like those two you are risking further injury that's undeniable.............

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you happen to know and are able to share, where did John land? I really enjoyed his writing and miss it.
It just happened. Don’t know his futur e plans yet

Reaction Score
I was pleased to read this article about Megan and what she had to say about her experiences at U Conn and her coach(es).
I'd rather wait and see it be implemented in whatever steps it takes, than crown it done at this time. Now the real work begins.
She needs to earn and maintain regular consistent playing time first. Then hopefully will be a starting role, then acknowledgement of her accomplishments long before her becoming a star or an AA.
All of us are amazed and admiring of Gabby, Pheesa, Kia and KLS because
of their hard work and non stop effort yet many here want to anoint MW the next star. It's earned through an on-going tough process.
Bronx23

Mister2

Looking for Mister1
Reaction Score
For over 20 years, we've listened to Geno (and CD) explaining on countless TV programs his coaching methods and the way he operated at UCONN.

For over 20 years, we've listened to countless UCONN alums, whose names literally filled up the who's who in WCBB, describing Geno's methods and the way he operated.

For over 20 years, we've witnessed UCONN breaking and setting countless WCBB records, based on Geno's methods and the way he operated.

Now, perhaps I'm just too dense too comprehend, what exactly has been the MW situation that is so mysterious that warranted such wild speculation by some posters in the first place? I don't know. And what exactly has MW now revealed that is so at variance with the evidence complied over 20 years that warranted a collective sigh of relief by the same posters? I don't know.

What I do know, and I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar on it, is that next year, when Geno does not give Williams a ton of minutes, this board will light up again.

How dull life would have been without fan boards like the BY.

Reaction Score
Did Crystal not have shinsplints and Gabby not have a bad hip for many weeks during the season and did Geno often play one or both of them into the fourth quarter instead of bringing in bench players? I'm sure he believed that playing them extra minutes would not worsen their condition but any time a player is on the court and especially hustlers like those two you are risking further injury that's undeniable...
Actually, it is "deniable" that playing with these particular maladies "risk further injury." The team's medical staff has said that the risk is small. Perhaps they are not as informed or knowledgeable as you are, but they do "deny" your assertion.

Reaction Score
Actually, it is "deniable" that playing with these particular maladies "risk further injury." The team's medical staff has said that the risk is small. Perhaps they are not as informed or knowledgeable as you are, but they do "deny" your assertion.

every additional minute a player is on the court is a minute when they can aggravate an existing injury or gain a new one............Gabby fell awkwardly a couple of games ago and reinjured her hip..............as I remember this happened in the middle of the game where she was needed so it was worth the risk..................playing when the team has a huge lead makes far less sense to me....................this is an ongoing discussion.....................I remember a poster quoting from a medical article that shinsplints aren't disabling and that Crystal would simply play through it.................Crystal then proceeded to sit out numerous practices and several games due to this injury.............the question is why were starters still out there on the court when the outcome of the game was beyond doubt..................Geno said that the bench players hadn't performed up to standard thus they would not play in the game.................so in effect several starters were forced to play additional meaningless minutes so that Geno's rules were maintained...............that's a fact

Reaction Score
every additional minute a player is on the court is a minute when they can aggravate an existing injury or gain a new one..

Charlie - apparently you don't believe every player that has ever passed through the program that has stated "practice is harder than the games". Sitting out 10 minutes of a game is NOT going to protect anything.

I am at a complete loss to understand your position.

Reaction Score
They all read the Boneyard, including the national press.

Family, friends, and former coaches of the current, future, and potential players read the 'yard, too.

Boneyard has become the samizdat of WCBB without state censorship.
It is the Shakespeare of WCBB dramas, the Conan Doyle of WCBB detective stories and the Tolstoy of WCBB novels.

Reaction Score
Charlie - apparently you don't believe every player that has ever passed through the program that has stated "practice is harder than the games". Sitting out 10 minutes of a game is NOT going to protect anything.

I am at a complete loss to understand your position.

that's perfectly fine..........sorry for your loss............;)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
every additional minute a player is on the court is a minute when they can aggravate an existing injury or gain a new one..Gabby fell awkwardly a couple of games ago and reinjured her hip....as I remember this happened in the middle of the game where she was needed so it was worth the risk...playing when the team has a huge lead makes far less sense to me.....this is an ongoing discussion......I remember a poster quoting from a medical article that shinsplints aren't disabling and that Crystal would simply play through it.......Crystal then proceeded to sit out numerous practices and several games due to this injury...the question is why were starters still out there on the court when the outcome of the game was beyond doubt...Geno said that the bench players hadn't performed up to standard thus they would not play in the game.......so in effect several starters were forced to play additional meaningless minutes so that Geno's rules were maintained.....that's a fact

Is that you Phil Mushnick?

Reaction Score

The sports department has someone who is tasked with reading the Boneyard. He is this. Surprise? My clients are buying technology to better understand what their client want. We are clients of the UConn AD .

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
What I do know, and I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar on it, is that next year, when Geno does not give Williams a ton of minutes, this board will light up again.
Why do you predict so confidently that Christyn Williams’s freshman experience will be similar to Megan’s, rather than to that of Kia Nurse, Bria Hartley, Stef Dolson, Caroline Doty, Tiffany Hayes, or Renee Montgomery — all of whom started or played major minutes as freshmen under Geno?

In my opinion (looking from a distance), I think that the difference between freshmen who play a lot and those who play less has very little to do with basketball skills, and quite a lot to do with personal maturity and more specifically work ethic. The ability to learn quickly what the coaches are teaching is also a factor.

Based on press releases (an admittedly unreliable source), it seems possible that ONO and C. Williams may have the personal assets that will allow them to contribute more as freshmen than this year’s group has done.

Reaction Score
every additional minute a player is on the court is a minute when they can aggravate an existing injury or gain a new one..Gabby fell awkwardly a couple of games ago and reinjured her hip....as I remember this happened in the middle of the game where she was needed so it was worth the risk...playing when the team has a huge lead makes far less sense to me.....this is an ongoing discussion......I remember a poster quoting from a medical article that shinsplints aren't disabling and that Crystal would simply play through it.......Crystal then proceeded to sit out numerous practices and several games due to this injury...the question is why were starters still out there on the court when the outcome of the game was beyond doubt...Geno said that the bench players hadn't performed up to standard thus they would not play in the game.......so in effect several starters were forced to play additional meaningless minutes so that Geno's rules were maintained.....that's a fact

Understand you are concerned about the players and share that concern. Understand that you are frustrated you don't have access to everything that goes into player-related decision making. But isn't it just a wee bit presumptuous to think that your bits of information and distant vantage point is better or more relevant than the coaches and players and staff? :)

Reaction Score
Why do you predict so confidently that Christyn Williams’s freshman experience will be similar to Megan’s, rather than to that of Kia Nurse, Bria Hartley, Stef Dolson, Caroline Doty, Tiffany Hayes, or Renee Montgomery — all of whom started or played major minutes as freshmen under Geno?

In my opinion (looking from a distance), I think that the difference between freshmen who play a lot and those who play less has very little to do with basketball skills, and quite a lot to do with personal maturity and more specifically work ethic. The ability to learn quickly what the coaches are teaching is also a factor.

Based on press releases (an admittedly unreliable source), it seems possible that ONO and C. Williams may have the personal assets that will allow them to contribute more as freshmen than this year’s group has done.
I think CW will be closer to Kia and company rather than MW and Danger. I think I see a business like maturity.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom