Megan Gustafson waived by Dallas Wings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Megan Gustafson waived by Dallas Wings

Reaction Score
Sometimes really good college players don’t have the athleticism or right skill set to succeed in the pros. That may be the case here. Different sport, but think Tim Tebow.

Reaction Score
I think in Womens basketball it is a case where the best coaches are not in the Pro ranks. I mean they even let Michael Cooper coach. Just watching the draft and their final cuts certain gives one pause that they often do not know what they are doing. Most of the time they just follow a predictable pattern. Most of the players are vets who have been playing so long they need little if any real coaching. I used to think that Agler was an exception except this last season he really stunk it up.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Most of the time they just follow a predictable pattern. Most of the players are vets who have been playing so long they need little if any real coaching.

Totally agree with this. WNBA coaches LOVE veteran players. Even burned out veterans with barely anything left to offer on the court. I just don't understand how experience w/ very little basketball ability left trumps a young player with future potential.

Reaction Score
After coming back in the morning with a fresh outlook:

- I watched Gustafson play in an epic B1G playoff game against Minnesota her junior year and was very intrigued by her indefatigable approach to all aspects of the game. She played defense, rebounded and attacked, attacked, attacked on offense once she got the seal.
- Yes, the inside game is her bread and butter. Hell, you master the Mikan drill as hard as she did and use it to that degree of success, why not? But, I've watched her a half dozen times during her senior year and she hits the jumper up the foul line easily.
- To the charge that she' slow and/or out of shape. She is not the fleetest of centers in a straight line, yes, but she's in shape. To be battling like she does every play...whew, you've got to be strong and in shape. (As a former wing, now 4, I can vouch that body slammin' is hard work.)
- I was one of those that think she will learn and benefit from playing elsewhere. That could include taking some tips and addressing them, much as Coach Cheryl Reeve gave Jess Shepard prior to last year.

Addressing the Wings, I can't understand how one team that is in the midst of starting over can draft four players and only have one make the roster. Yes, they made trades and brought in outsiders, but you think there would be some coordination on all these moves to reap a higher percentage of folks that make the roster.
You don't expect them to be like the Mercury, but look at that: all four rookies make the team.

Unlike the NBA most WNBA teams have to try and be competitive, one or two bad seasons and the team could fold. Izzy, Glow Jo, Thornton, Z, and #55 are all the better options if the wings are in wing now mode, and after seeing the game tonight, I think they Wings can push for a play off spot.

Reaction Score
Unlike the NBA most WNBA teams have to try and be competitive, one or two bad seasons and the team could fold. Izzy, Glow Jo, Thornton, Z, and #55 are all the better options if the wings are in wing now mode, and after seeing the game tonight, I think they Wings can push for a play off spot.
Right. The nature of the WNBA does not allow teams much room to let players develop or mature. Most players who are not ready have to get ready in the off season usually by playing overseas. On a homer note, if you watched the wings play last night you saw why Brooke_Bun made the team. Without Diggins or Jefferson, the Wings need what Brooke brings.

Reaction Score

Upon getting drafted as the 17th overall pick to the Dallas Wings in early April, I spent the first three weeks of May in training camp working as hard as I possibly could to try and earn a spot on the opening night roster. Even though being in the WNBA has been a dream of mine since I was little, I can truly say that it was one of the hardest experiences that I have ever had to go through. Not knowing what will happen the next day, competing in a different and new position than what I was used to in college, and trying to keep my family and friends in the loop with how I thought things were going were just some of the things that I was trying to balance. I know that this not only took a toll on myself physically, mentally, and emotionally, but I also know that my family shared in those last two aspects 100%. Unfortunately, I was one of the last two players cut from the team less than 2 days before the opening game tip-off. To say that I am devastated is a big understatement, but I can also confirm that this has lit a new fire in me like NEVER before. I learned and improved so much in training camp, and I look forward to using this as motivation. As the sting of this new obstacle starts to dull, I can lean on the fact that God has everything perfectly planned out (Jeremiah 29:11) and I know that He will use this trial to make me into not only a better basketball player, but into a better person than I was before!

9261732a-14ae-488e-903b-7f14d54225fd.jpg

For those of you who have expressed your support, it means the world to me! I will write more about this experience in the near future, but for now I will just leave you all with this:

Don’t miss me too much WNBA, I’ll. be. back. This is just the beginning.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Strange twist to Gustafson story

She plans to play in the TBT (The Basketball Tournament) tournament. The 64 team all or nothing tournament format gives 2 million to the winning team only and nothing else

I did not know women can play in TBT and I really do not think she can reasonably compete with the other teams which as you can expect are playing with alot of intensity in this winner take all format. Hope this is not a publicity stunt where she sits on the bench but I do not see how it is anything else.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The college POY is not fully developed? She beat Pheesa and all the rest! They're a bunch of idiots.

I agree!:rolleyes: The people who voted her POY are a bunch of idiots. Anyone who watched her play could see was soft. Too soft for the WNBA. Maybe after a year of real hard work on her conditioning and strength, she will be a decent backup. Oh! And perhaps someone should introduce her to the other end of the court ... you know ... defense!

Reaction Score
I think in Womens basketball it is a case where the best coaches are not in the Pro ranks. I mean they even let Michael Cooper coach. Just watching the draft and their final cuts certain gives one pause that they often do not know what they are doing. Most of the time they just follow a predictable pattern. Most of the players are vets who have been playing so long they need little if any real coaching. I used to think that Agler was an exception except this last season he really stunk it up.

I used to think Agler was a good coach when he was with the Storm too. I think he just got to coach 2 teams that were ready to win the title regardless of who coached them.

Not impressed with him.

Reaction Score
I agree!:rolleyes: The people who voted her POY are a bunch of idiots. Anyone who watched her play could see was soft. Too soft for the WNBA. Maybe after a year of real hard work on her conditioning and strength, she will be a decent backup. Oh! And perhaps someone should introduce her to the other end of the court ... you know ... defense!
I agree that you don't know what you're talking about.

Reaction Score
Strange twist to Gustafson story

She plans to play in the TBT (The Basketball Tournament) tournament. The 64 team all or nothing tournament format gives 2 million to the winning team only and nothing else

I did not know women can play in TBT and I really do not think she can reasonably compete with the other teams which as you can expect are playing with alot of intensity in this winner take all format. Hope this is not a publicity stunt where she sits on the bench but I do not see how it is anything else.

Women have always been able to play in TBT. Back when it was less of a big deal, there was a whole team that was women and there have been teams of male players who never played at a high level with the results going about as you would expect.

It is probably a publicity stunt since having fan support is helpful for TBT purposes and she's the popular Iowa person right now. There are many benefits to the Elam Ending used in the games, but one of the downsides is that the garbage time is not really a thing.

Reaction Score
It’ll only be temporary unless they cut somebody else. I’m guessing she’ll still participate in that TBT.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The Dallas / IN game is on CBSSN tonight 8PM eastern. Probably too soon for Megan to be involved in the game except garbage time.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
While we're on the subject...

Oh yes, I'm sure they'll have a tinge of regret for jettisoning Kennedy Burket...especially when Ms. Burke will be on the same court in a different-colored uniform!! :eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I used to think Agler was a good coach when he was with the Storm too. I think he just got to coach 2 teams that were ready to win the title regardless of who coached them.

Not impressed with him.
Agler is an excellent coach. I can't stand him (in interviews, comments and such) and he has never been a favorite. But he is good at what he does. I've known that since his days with the Columbus team in the old ABL, I think it was called.

He was former Rutgers assistant Carlene Mitchell's college mentor, however, IIRC, he got in trouble for something (I think on the recruiting side) which is how he ended up in the pros.

Reaction Score
Not impressed with him.

Gustafson is a back to the basket post scorer who will score against anyone in the WNBA. In college it was like what is was with EDD. The other teams would double and triple team her but she would still score almost 30 points a game. They may not want to play her at center in the WNBA but she can play power forward. Iowa really used two post players. Now with the top notch teammates she has other teams can't afford to even double team her very much or she will make them pay. She said Agler was trying to change her game but why change what's better than anyone else in the game as it is.

Reaction Score
Not impressed with him.

Gustafson is a back to the basket post scorer who will score against anyone in the WNBA. In college it was like what is was with EDD. The other teams would double and triple team her but she would still score almost 30 points a game. They may not want to play her at center in the WNBA but she can play power forward. Iowa really used two post players. Now with the top notch teammates she has other teams can't afford to even double team her very much or she will make them pay. She said Agler was trying to change her game but why change what's better than anyone else in the game as it is.

Sounds like one of my favorite players and greatest college centers of all time Courtney Paris, while she has had some success in the pros, she’s not the star she was in college.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom