Megan Gustafson waived by Dallas Wings | The Boneyard

Megan Gustafson waived by Dallas Wings

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Megan Gustafson waived by Dallas Wings

Didn't see that coming. I thought she would make reserves at least. Not sure if this counts as big news; now I wonder if she'll be signed by another team.

Reaction Score
What was that famous quote?

Oh yeah, "Stupid is as stupid does".

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She will do well internationally imho and come back stronger next year.

Reaction Score
I think she is what a difference in coaching and team does to a player. The team needed her so much that in 4 years she never got to fully develop beyond the basket. I'm sure that hurts her at the next level.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Whoa. Dallas entered the draft with four picks and selected Arike Ogunbowale (5th overall), Megan Gustafson (17th overall), Kennedy Burke (22nd overall) and Morgan Bertsch (29th overall). Only one of those picks -- Ogunbowale -- stuck. Given a how much that team is in flux due to trades, injuries, maternity leaves, et al, you've got to think General Manager Greg Bibb thought he'd get a slightly higher yield.

Looked like Burke had been doing well...let's see if she gets picked up elsewhere. I agree with others that Gustafson could go overseas and expand/work on her game and come back.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Whoa. Dallas entered the draft with four picks and selected Arike Ogunbowale (5th overall), Megan Gustafson (17th overall), Kennedy Burke (22nd overall) and Morgan Bertsch (29th overall). Only one of those picks -- Ogunbowale -- stuck. Given a how much that team is in flux due to trades, injuries, maternity leaves, et al, you've got to think General Manager Greg Bibb thought he'd get a slightly higher yield.

Looked like Burke had been doing well...let's see if she gets picked up elsewhere. I agree with others that Gustafson could go overseas and expand/work on her game and come back.
Waiving Burke was a mistake - she has a ton of upside and already demonstrated that in the three pre-season games. I'm beginning to think Dallas doesn't know what they're doing, because it's not like they had a stacked roster to begin with.

Reaction Score
Sometimes certain teams waive players so they can pick up new ones from other teams cuts. I am wondering if this is what Dallas is trying to do.

Reaction Score
Waiving Burke was a mistake - she has a ton of upside and already demonstrated that in the three pre-season games. I'm beginning to think Dallas doesn't know what they're doing, because it's not like they had a stacked roster to begin with.

They didn’t have a lot of great PG options with both Diggins and Jefferson sidelined to start the season. They felt a need to keep Brooke McCarty over the others.

Once Jefferson comes back, McCarty will get cut.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is a joke. Look her records:
Megan Gustafson - Wikipedia

I'm surprised, too, but it could be a Peter Principle thing. Or a "past performance is no guarantee of future performance" thing. There's a reason she dropped to the second round. Twelve sets of WNBA executives chose not to draft her in the first round.

As someone pointed out above, a year in Europe may take her to the next level. I for one hope so, she's fun to watch and seems like a genuinely nice person.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm surprised, too, but it could be a Peter Principle thing. Or a "past performance is no guarantee of future performance" thing. There's a reason she dropped to the second round. Twelve sets of WNBA executives chose not to draft her in the first round.

Supposedly those same executives provide the guidance on who should be invited to the draft, and Gustafson was invited to the draft.

Reaction Score
I think she is what a difference in coaching and team does to a player. The team needed her so much that in 4 years she never got to fully develop beyond the basket. I'm sure that hurts her at the next level.
The college POY is not fully developed? She beat Pheesa and all the rest! They're a bunch of idiots.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The college POY is not fully developed? She beat Pheesa and all the rest! They're a bunch of idiots.
The skill set is different. Look at Kelsey Plum's struggles, and she sure isn't the only one.

Whoever said that she can go to Europe and come back stronger has it nailed. Several RU alums, either not drafted or drafted and cut, came back and played in the league. Among others, Wheeler and Laney come to mind, regardless of their length of career, even Michele Campbell, IIRC, had a fling quite a while after she graduated.

Reaction Score
The skill set is different. Look at Kelsey Plum's struggles, and she sure isn't the only one.

Whoever said that she can go to Europe and come back stronger has it nailed. Several RU alums, either not drafted or drafted and cut, came back and played in the league. Among others, Wheeler and Laney come to mind, regardless of their length of career, even Michele Campbell, IIRC, had a fling quite a while after she graduated.
BS.

She'll catch on with another team and Dallas will look like fools.

Reaction Score
Who are the idiots? The NCAA committee who chose a player of the year who really hadn't demonstrated expertise beyond 5 ft from the basket? However Pheesa and Lou's spot on an wnba team were never in question.....

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
After coming back in the morning with a fresh outlook:

- I watched Gustafson play in an epic B1G playoff game against Minnesota her junior year and was very intrigued by her indefatigable approach to all aspects of the game. She played defense, rebounded and attacked, attacked, attacked on offense once she got the seal.
- Yes, the inside game is her bread and butter. Hell, you master the Mikan drill as hard as she did and use it to that degree of success, why not? But, I've watched her a half dozen times during her senior year and she hits the jumper up to and around the foul line easily.
- To the charge that she's slow and/or out of shape: She is not the fleetest of centers in a straight line, yes, but she's in shape. To be battling like she does every play...whew, you've got to be strong and have stamina. (As a former wing, now 4, I can vouch that body slammin' is hard work.)
- I was one of those that think she will learn and benefit from playing elsewhere and rounding out her game. That could include taking some tips and addressing them, much as Coach Cheryl Reeve gave Jess Shepard prior to last year.

Addressing the Wings, I can't understand how one team that is in the midst of starting over can draft four players and only have one make the roster. Yes, they made trades and brought in outsiders, but you think there would be some coordination on all these moves in order to reap a higher percentage of folks that make the roster.

You don't expect them to be like the Phoenix Mercury, but look at that: all four rookies that were drafted made the team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think that the Wing's GM and coaching staff didn't know what they had or how to utilize her. She's a back to the basket post player who is/was almost unstoppable on offense all season. She easily scored on both ND and Baylor but she didn't have support in either game.

Another part of the problem is that most guards (college and pro) can't make consistent entry passes to the post to save their lives and make the centers look bad. Megan probably didn't fit in to what the Wings are trying to run on offense.

She'll be better off on another team that has a clue as to what they're doing.

Reaction Score
Who are the idiots? The NCAA committee who chose a player of the year who really hadn't demonstrated expertise beyond 5 ft from the basket? However Pheesa and Lou's spot on an wnba team were never in question.....
You're saying all those people who voted for her are idiots?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I think that the Wing's GM and coaching staff didn't know what they had or how to utilize her.
She'll be better off on another team that has a clue as to what they're doing.

Yes, I'm sure you know more about how to win in the WNBA than two-time WNBA champion coach Brian Agler.

Reaction Score
After coming back in the morning with a fresh outlook:

- I watched Gustafson play in an epic B1G playoff game against Minnesota her junior year and was very intrigued by her indefatigable approach to all aspects of the game. She played defense, rebounded and attacked, attacked, attacked on offense once she got the seal.
- Yes, the inside game is her bread and butter. Hell, you master the Mikan drill as hard as she did and use it to that degree of success, why not? But, I've watched her a half dozen times during her senior year and she hits the jumper up the foul line easily.
- To the charge that she' slow and/or out of shape. She is not the fleetest of centers in a straight line, yes, but she's in shape. To be battling like she does every play...whew, you've got to be strong and in shape. (As a former wing, now 4, I can vouch that body slammin' is hard work.)
- I was one of those that think she will learn and benefit from playing elsewhere. That could include taking some tips and addressing them, much as Coach Cheryl Reeve gave Jess Shepard prior to last year.

Addressing the Wings, I can't understand how one team that is in the midst of starting over can draft four players and only have one make the roster. Yes, they made trades and brought in outsiders, but you think there would be some coordination on all these moves to reap a higher percentage of folks that make the roster.
You don't expect them to be like the Mercury, but look at that: all four rookies make the team.
ND couldn't stop her.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
ND couldn't stop her.

First of all, weird comment because I think Dillon was being positive in his take on her game.

Second, two ends of the court. She couldn't stop ND. People like McCowan and K. Brown stifled ND's offense with their rim protection. That's likely part of why they went in the 1st round and Gustafson went in the 2nd and got cut.

She's a 6'3 low-post scorer who now has to play opposing centers that will be taller and more athletic than she is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First of all, weird comment because I think Dillon was being positive in his take on her game.

Second, two ends of the court. She couldn't stop ND. People like McCowan and K. Brown stifled ND's offense with their rim protection. That's likely part of why they went in the 1st round and Gustafson went in the 2nd and got cut.

She's a 6'3 low-post scorer who now has to play opposing centers that will be taller and more athletic than she is.
McCowan and Brown went before her because they're taller. That's it. She's better offensively than both of them. She scored on all the taller opponents she played against in college. All of her teammates were intimidated against ND & national tv.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom