Meet Rashan Michel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Meet Rashan Michel

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
For those wondering his involvement:
Auburn associate head coach Chuck Person: Person allegedly agreed to take $50,000 in bribes from Rashan Michel to push prominent college athletes to work with him as the owner of an Atlanta-based clothing company.

Or from the article in OP:
"He stands accused of conspiring with former Auburn assistant coach and NBA star Chuck Person, among others, to commit federal crimes. The U.S. Attorney’s Office complaint released in late September alleges that Michel conspired to funnel tens of thousands of dollars to “assistant coaches at various … Division I men’s basketball programs” in exchange for them directing players toward certain agents or financial advisers when they turned pro. In addition to accepting financial kickbacks himself, Michel also expected to be cut in as the tailor of choice for those players."

So his MO was make suits for professional athletes and coaches, then he started using his connections with coaches to funnel money from financial advisers to the coaches in order to influence the players at the schools to choose said advisers (and himself as tailor). He's directly implicated with Person, but the article says anyone who he made suits for has to be sweating because he's getting indicted and could flip if they had any illegal bribery dealings with him.
Good research. Buying suits is just fine. That was how he gets in the door. Going the next step with him...............I don't think KO is that kind of man at all. He is not motivated by money per se. If he was he would have left long ago for the NBA. He doesn't need this kind of sleaze. I think his character to this point is beyond reproach. Remember, he was the player that teams chose to help young Durant and Lebron break into the pro's because of his character. He is also the man that Jim Calhoun was adamant about hiring as his successor. Very accusatory article with respect to KO and a guilt by association attack without the facts to support it. Fake news. It get's tiring after awhile.

Reaction Score
Ollie will be questioned by the FBI or whoever is investigating him since he bought suits from him and he was in Ollies office. I don't think there is much since we haven't had many pro's during Ollies tenure. So no one to direct them to whatever agent this guy and Chuck Person were doing. Besides Ollie gets paid big bucks. This is something assistants do for extra cash as we seen.

***removed statement***

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Good research. Buying suits is just fine. That was how he gets in the door. Going the next step with him.....I don't think KO is that kind of man at all. He is not motivated by money per se. If he was he would have left long ago for the NBA. He doesn't need this kind of sleaze. I think his character to this point is beyond reproach. Remember, he was the player that teams chose to help young Durant and Lebron break into the pro's because of his character. He is also the man that Jim Calhoun was adamant about hiring as his successor. Very accusatory article with respect to KO and a guilt by association attack without the facts to support it. Fake news. It get's tiring after awhile.

Agreed. I think every school is worried about their association with sneaker company money. I've had multiple people tell me that you're naive if you don't think that every school plays the game in some way. That was BEFORE the FBI news broke. The "other scandal" is (to me) more greedy and I can't see head coaches being involved. To take a bit of money (even if it's thousands of dollars) to push your players to third parties isn't necessary for a coach making 7 figures. It doesn't surprise me at all that assistants would do it.

I do wonder how this one is illegal though. I know people struggled to see how paying players is illegal, but getting a referral fee would need to be against some law. I don't think the coaches have a fiduciary or other legal duty to the players. fees for referrals to securities professionals will often require registration, but I don't know what law would impact a haberdasher referral.

Reaction Score
Having someone in your office doesn't mean you did more than buy suits from them. And it certainly doesn't mean you took bribes.

Having a spokesperson provide your response to such questioning and getting legal advice is wise, not incriminating.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Having someone in your office doesn't mean you did more than buy suits from them. And it certainly doesn't mean you took bribes.

Having a spokesperson provide your response to such questioning and getting legal advice is wise, not incriminating.

Why do you think the spokesperson did not tell the whole truth?

Reaction Score
My thing is why did Ollie have the UConn spokesperson lie about only buying suits from him and not that he was in his office?
Where did he lie? The only comment was "“He said, ‘I really don’t know the guy, I bought a couple suits from him, that’s all I understand about the guy,’.
All we know is that Ollie took a meeting with him and bought some suits. I'm not naive enough not to say that Michel probably wanted to do more "business" with him but there is nothing that we've seen from Ollie that would suggest that he would agree to anything shady. At the time of that meeting Ollie was the hottest young coach in the country and this guy wanted to use him.

Reaction Score
It is normal for a custom suit maker to come to your office for measurements. It is one of the luxuries sometimes offered, but primarily in the city. If this guy came to see KO personally in Storrs, it doesn't surprise me. However, if he is flying around the country to sell $1000 suits, it doesn't make sense. He must sell much more expensive custom suits than that.

Reaction Score
It is normal for a custom suit maker to come to your office for measurements. It is one of the luxuries sometimes offered, but primarily in the city. If this guy came to see KO personally in Storrs, it doesn't surprise me. However, if he is flying around to country to sell $1000 suits, it doesn't make sense. He must sell much more expensive custom suits than that.

Thats true didn't think of it like that. Ollie is a stand up guy IMO. A non-story.

Reaction Score
Ollie will be questioned by the FBI or whoever is investigating him since he bought suits from him and he was in Ollies office. I don't think there is much since we haven't had many pro's during Ollies tenure. So no one to direct them to whatever agent this guy and Chuck Person were doing. Besides Ollie gets paid big bucks. This is something assistants do for extra cash as we seen.

***removed statement***
Good thing we haven't seen any assistants leave as of late.

Kidding. Trying to start some drama!!!

Reaction Score
Those are really cheap prices for a bespoke suit.

I was going to post this. All my suites and shirts are made for me (bespoke - I hate that word) and depending on fabric those prices are very good

Reaction Score
Never said he was guilty actually said it was nothing. It just a bad look when the spokesman says you only bought suits from him but then the reporter finds a picture on his Instagram of you two in your office which means he came by and visited Ollie. Again it is a non-story but he will be questioned by the FBI.

Dude -- he makes made to measure clothing. If you know he's made Ollie suits, exactly how do you think he does that without at some point being in the same room with him to take measurements?

The lengths that some of you go to find things to worry about is astounding. We all buy clothes somewhere. If one day a guy who sells them to us gets arrested for popping pills, it doesn't make all of his customers under suspicion for being a drug user.

Reaction Score
Dude -- he makes made to measure clothing. If you know he's made Ollie suits, exactly how do you think he does that without at some point being in the same room with him to take measurements?

The lengths that some of you go to find things to worry about is astounding. We all buy clothes somewhere. If one day a guy who sells them to us gets arrested for popping pills, it doesn't make all of his customers under suspicion for being a drug user.

First of all "Dude", @Hoopbound already addressed him making the suits custom and I didn't think of that so no need for this post.

Also, because of the widespread corruption of college basketball of course they would interview Ollie a client of his and a head college coach. Its a non- issue but I expect Ollie to be questioned and cleared right away.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
IMG_3183.JPG
Is Rashan Michel responsible for this masterpiece and if so will KO have to turn it over to the Feds as evidence ? Sorry

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Basketball players and former players who coach can't buy off the rack. It would not be unusual for a clothier to find a niche.

I'm gonna need more than a suit. The Lance Armstrong theory has more weight than where KO gets his suits.

C

Chief00

Basketball players and former players who coach can't buy off the rack. It would not be unusual for a clothier to find a niche.

I'm gonna need more than a suit. The Lance Armstrong theory has more weight than where KO gets his suits.

Quite frankly, the suit dude did find a market niche!

Reaction Score
Beautiful Suit Game.

Really those prices are not bad for custom suits and shirts.

I've been looking at a package similar to this for myself. Gotta keep the suit game tight.

Reaction Score
I do wonder how this one is illegal though. I know people struggled to see how paying players is illegal, but getting a referral fee would need to be against some law. I don't think the coaches have a fiduciary or other legal duty to the players. fees for referrals to securities professionals will often require registration, but I don't know what law would impact a haberdasher referral.

They are state employees (in the case of the state schools) accepting bribery money and presumably not paying taxes on it.

I mean the guy who he buys his suits from is going to jail for paying coaches to gain influence after selling them suits. It's not exactly a huge leap. But there's no evidence right now, either.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
They are state employees (in the case of the state schools) accepting bribery money and presumably not paying taxes on it.

I mean the guy who he buys his suits from is going to jail for paying coaches to gain influence after selling them suits. It's not exactly a huge leap. But there's no evidence right now, either.
Wait. I thought it’s about buying suits and then steering kids to him when they go pro? Now he’s paying coaches? What money was accepted or paid?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the question is do all coaches provide extra benefits to players in ways the average fan would see as violating NCAA rules, then the answer is, "yes" including UConn.

It is a big jump from there to buying players. Not sure all top programs did it but it looks likely.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom