Mechelle Voepel picks Stewie as POY - Michelle Smith picks Chiney | The Boneyard

Mechelle Voepel picks Stewie as POY - Michelle Smith picks Chiney

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that for the Smith and Voepel debate, I think you meant this video link. The link you gave goes to the Hays (picking Stewie) and Creme (Sims) article.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Just as with Michelle and Mechelle, a split vote among the multiple POY awards would not surprise me.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that for the Smith and Voepel debate, I think you meant this video link. The link you gave goes to the Hays (picking Stewie) and Creme (Sims) article.

How can someone so clueless be trusted with Bracketology?

Reaction Score
Hey, its his opinion and we need to respect that opinion.....Chiney is like Sims and they are the backbone of their teams. Neither makes their teams better........If both Chiney and Sims did not play for either team, neither team would make the top 20.....That is how much they mean to Stanford and Baylor's success.......I would like to have both players on my team and let Geno coach them.........Too much pressure on them.........Very little margin for error

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well opinions are opinions. If you were gonna start a team who would you choose. Breanna is more dominate then any player in WCBB on both sides of the ball. UCOnn does not look to her as their number 1 option like Sims and Chiney are. UConn is balanced and they play team sharing ball and thats what makes Breannas numbers so much more impressive.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
How can someone so clueless be trusted with Bracketology?
Even if someone were a terrible bracketologist it would not necessarily make him a great judge of individual players, and vice versa. My pick for doing the bracketology would be eastteaxastrash, who I'm sure can also be trusted to make the right pick on POY also.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
As Rebecca said on an earlier telecast if Stewie came out this year she would be an All Star, you don't hear that being said about anyone else. The Fact she is only in her second year, on the best team, will prevent her from getting the award.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
As Rebecca said on an earlier telecast if Stewie came out this year she would be an All Star, you don't hear that being said about anyone else.

Her saying it doesn't make it true, either. The W is a WHOLE different kettle of fish and don't no one tell you different.

Reaction Score
Does anyone think that UConn would be Notre Dame without Stewie? They may not get blown out, but there is no way the Huskies win that match up without her. Every other player can be guarded to some extent, but not Stewie.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Stewie would get my vote, followed by Simms. Stewie can do EVERYTHING..Coach Summitt was right when she said that Stewart was the most complete high school player she had ever seen..

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Hey, its his opinion and we need to respect that opinion.....Chiney is like Sims and they are the backbone of their teams. Neither makes their teams better...If both Chiney and Sims did not play for either team, neither team would make the top 20.....That is how much they mean to Stanford and Baylor's success..I would like to have both players on my team and let Geno coach them....Too much pressure on them....Very little margin for error
I know you didn't mean this based on the rest of your post.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Her saying it doesn't make it true, either. The W is a WHOLE different kettle of fish and don't no one tell you different.
Not unreasonable considering EDD was an all-star and I believe Stewart would be close to that level in the W right now.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I do think the voting is going to be interesting this year - you have two seniors who are THE player on their team both having outstanding years and you have a sophomore surrounded by AAs who is also having an outstanding year and is probably the 'best' player in the country though not the 'most needed' by her team.
I think you may end up with Sims and Chiney splitting the 'senior most valuable' vote and Stewart being unchallenged for the 'best player' vote - those are the two basic arguments that occur - are you selecting the most valuable to her team or the best player in the country.
I suspect the senior most valuable vote might end up with 60% or even 65% and the best player might get 35-40% but with the two choices (and a few local favorites like Thomas, or Liston, or McBride) splitting the vote for 'most valuable' they may each end up with fewer votes than Stewart.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Does anyone think that UConn would be Notre Dame without Stewie?
If Stewie had to say sit out a game, I don't think that the Huskies would just be the Irish. They have some similarities but they still play different games.

Reaction Score
I do think the voting is going to be interesting this year - you have two seniors who are THE player on their team both having outstanding years and you have a sophomore surrounded by AAs who is also having an outstanding year and is probably the 'best' player in the country though not the 'most needed' by her team.
I think you may end up with Sims and Chiney splitting the 'senior most valuable' vote and Stewart being unchallenged for the 'best player' vote - those are the two basic arguments that occur - are you selecting the most valuable to her team or the best player in the country.
I suspect the senior most valuable vote might end up with 60% or even 65% and the best player might get 35-40% but with the two choices (and a few local favorites like Thomas, or Liston, or McBride) splitting the vote for 'most valuable' they may each end up with fewer votes than Stewart.
An important distinction. I don't know what the NPOY is supposed to represent. Maybe no one does and they vote based on their own personal definition/criteria for the award. I think of it as an MVP award, and as is the case in pro sports, the MVP often is not the best player, just the one that made the most important contributions to their team.

Reaction Score
Not unreasonable considering EDD was an all-star and I believe Stewart would be close to that level in the W right now.
Also DT saying she was the best player at the trials, Kara after the final last year, " I have seen the future, and she wears #30 for UConn, Breanna Stewart. " When your peers make those kind of statements, it means something, but I still think being a 2nd year player the award goes to one of the seniors.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hey, its his opinion and we need to respect that opinion.....Chiney is like Sims and they are the backbone of their teams. Neither makes their teams better...If both Chiney and Sims did not play for either team, neither team would make the top 20.....That is how much they mean to Stanford and Baylor's success..I would like to have both players on my team and let Geno coach them....Too much pressure on them....Very little margin for error

Stewart's plate is set best because she has such a tremendous supporting cast. Would she perform as well if she played with Sims' supporting cast? I am highly doubtful that she would.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
An important distinction. I don't know what the NPOY is supposed to represent. Maybe no one does and they vote based on their own personal definition/criteria for the award. I think of it as an MVP award, and as is the case in pro sports, the MVP often is not the best player, just the one that made the most important contributions to their team.
POY and MVP in all sports are open for debate - some of the WCBB POY criteria are spelled out and have slightly different emphases, but it also comes down to the voters and it is frequently an issue for the individual voters as well as between voters. It really doesn't matter what you call the award it generally goes to the top performer in a league based on the voter's criteria or the one that most clearly distances him/herself in her/his particular specialty and that often is not the player who had the highest WAR or who might have clearly been the best player on a mediocre team. Most often the 'most valuable' distinction is made by a voter to justify choosing someone with less stellar stats and not as the overriding emphasis of the general population of voters for an award.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Stewart's plate is set best because she has such a tremendous supporting cast. Would she perform as well if she played with Sims' supporting cast? I am highly doubtful that she would.
I suspect she would and would also have higher stats because she would have to - right now she is at the high end statistically for Uconn players in scoring looking back at history - scoring more points per game than Maya, DT, or anyone else as a sophomore except Bascom and ranking 6th all time for a season at any age. She is harder to guard than anyone else playing right now because of her length and ability to score from anywhere on the court. Cut the scoring by her teammates and giver her another ten shots a game and she would be up there in the 30 pt range. (She only gets 14.9 shots a game currently and scores 1.3 points per shot.
In almost every competition she has been involved in regardless of age she has been the best player on the floor - HS, College, and Internationally and she has led her team statistically. One exception was her freshman year, but that changed when she got to the tournament.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

She would be better than Sims. And the rest of the team would be better. Sims is a second banana trying to be a star, Stewart is a star.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
If she is not chosen it is because of the Otto Graham Palindrome Syndrome.
♫ ♪ Palindrome, Palindrome,… What's in his naaaaaame? ♫ ♪
♪♫ Palindrome, Palindrome,… Backwards, Oz’ looks the saaaaame ♫ ♫
Paladin Oz.JPG

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Probably she would be even more notable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom