Meanwhile, Shea and Vandy…. | The Boneyard

Meanwhile, Shea and Vandy….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was skeptical of the early supporters of Shea's return as Geno's successor, but what she's doing at Vandy impresses me. As does Carla's performance with Princeton. Succeeding Geno will be a challenge for anyone, but at least both of those women will benefit from their ties to the program with fans, alumni, etc. That won't be the case for a non-Uconn individual. First and foremost you have to have good head-coaching credentials, but then any Uconn ties can be a huge boost to anyone trying to fill Geno's "unfillable" shoes. Sorry this got so wordy!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was skeptical of the early supporters of Shea's return as Geno's successor, but what she's doing at Vandy impresses me. As does Carla's performance with Princeton. Succeeding Geno will be a challenge for anyone, but at least both of those women will benefit from their ties to the program with fans, alumni, etc. That won't be the case for a non-Uconn individual. First and foremost you have to have good head-coaching credentials, but then any Uconn ties can be a huge boost to anyone trying to fill Geno's "unfillable" shoes. Sorry this got so wordy!
There's a saying, you don't want to be the guy who replaces the guy you want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the guy. That's a convoluted way of saying that the expectations on the replacement of a Hall of Fame Coach are very high, and often unrealistic.

If I was the Athletic Director, and frankly, I will make myself available if the Board of Trustees wants to give me that job, I would have Chris Dailey serve as head coach for a year or two, unless she would do it for longer, upon Geno's retirement, and bring in Carla Berube as associate head coach. I would pay CD Geno's salary of $3 million a year, and pay Carla $400,000 to be associate head coach. When CD retires I would give Carla a salary of $1 million.

I think everyone wins in that scenario. Chris gets roughly a half million a year now, so giving her a couple of years, or longer if she wants it, at $3 million is a nice windfall for her and a recognition of her role in building the Connecticut dynasty. It would also serve as a good transition both for our existing players and for Carla who would get a few years to get her feet underneath her before taking the head coaching job. Carla would get a significant immediate raise and in a couple years she would become one of the higher paid coaches in women's basketball and still saves the school $2 million a year. Again, moving the associate head coach into the head coaching position probably makes our players comfortable and makes us less vulnerable to transfer portal losses.

I think our current assistant coaches would be fine with that. They've all had their shot at the top job and haven't shown themselves to be a viable candidate for the Connecticut head coaching job. Plus, it's all in the family.

Everybody wins.

That said, I hate the notion of wishing away the present. As good as the potential replacements for Geno might be, they never match the real thing, who is indisputably the best coach ever in women's basketball. (And in all honesty, he probably has a pretty good argument for being considered the best coach ever in any sport.)

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There's a saying, you don't want to be the guy who replaces the guy you want to be the guy who replaces the guy who replaced the guy. That's a convoluted way of saying that the expectations on the replacement of a Hall of Fame Coach are very high, and often unrealistic.

If I was the Athletic Director, and frankly, I will make myself available if the Board of Trustees wants to give me that job, I would have Chris Dailey serve as head coach for a year or two, unless she would do it for longer, upon Geno's retirement, and bring in Carla Berube as associate head coach. I would pay CD Geno's salary of $3 million a year, and pay Carla $400,000 to be associate head coach. When CD retires I would give Carla a salary of $1 million.

I think everyone wins in that scenario. Chris gets roughly a half million a year now, so giving her a couple of years, or longer if she wants it, at $3 million is a nice windfall for her and a recognition of her role in building the Connecticut dynasty. It would also serve as a good transition both for our existing players and for Carla who would get a few years to get her feet underneath her before taking the head coaching job. Carla would get a significant immediate raise and in a couple years she would become one of the higher paid coaches in women's basketball and still saves the school $2 million a year. Again, moving the associate head coach into the head coaching position probably makes our players comfortable and makes us less vulnerable to transfer portal losses.

I think our current assistant coaches would be fine with that. They've all had their shot at the top job and haven't shown themselves to be a viable candidate for the Connecticut head coaching job. Plus, it's all in the family.

Everybody wins.

That said, I hate the notion of wishing away the present. As good as the potential replacements for Geno might be, they never match the real thing, who is indisputably the best coach ever in women's basketball. (And in all honesty, he probably has a pretty good argument for being considered the best coach ever in any sport.)
There is plenty of time to evaluate how Carla and Shea do in the coming few years. It's Shea's first HC job and she's at a P5 school with a rich history. It's Carla's 2nd HC job - she knocked it out of the park at Tufts, but Princeton is a different animal - not a traditional power and recruiting to the Ivy's is harder than regular WCBB schools.

Love the idea of CD as the interim HC for a few years and then bring on one of them, but I also think the school should be open to other HC's especially young up and coming coaches who are making names for themselves. Dawn to SC was a home run. Gottleib at USC (46 years old) is doing some nice things there. Lawson has had her struggles at Duke so the jury is still out on her. A splashy hire but had no previous coaching experience save for the 3x3 US National Teams. Purcell at Mississippi state (2 years there) is another nice story - young-ish guy who came from L'ville as an associate HC. The HC at Colorado has been there 8 years so it's not like she's a newbie. I'm sure there are other examples.

Point is there are other HC's and AHC's who I think should be considered as well as folks from the UCONN tree.

Sorry - I know this is about Shea. I'm hoping she does great at Vandy. Every time I hear her speak I'm impressed. She clearly has great knowledge, love for the game, love for her players, but also a hard nosed edge on doing things the right way. Really hope she takes Vandy to the upper echelon of the league!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is plenty of time to evaluate how Carla and Shea do in the coming few years. It's Shea's first HC job and she's at a P5 school with a rich history. It's Carla's 2nd HC job - she knocked it out of the park at Tufts, but Princeton is a different animal - not a traditional power and recruiting to the Ivy's is harder than regular WCBB schools.

Love the idea of CD as the interim HC for a few years and then bring on one of them, but I also think the school should be open to other HC's especially young up and coming coaches who are making names for themselves. Dawn to SC was a home run. Gottleib at USC (46 years old) is doing some nice things there. Lawson has had her struggles at Duke so the jury is still out on her. A splashy hire but had no previous coaching experience save for the 3x3 US National Teams. Purcell at Mississippi state (2 years there) is another nice story - young-ish guy who came from L'ville as an associate HC. The HC at Colorado has been there 8 years so it's not like she's a newbie. I'm sure there are other examples.

Point is there are other HC's and AHC's who I think should be considered as well as folks from the UCONN tree.

Sorry - I know this is about Shea. I'm hoping she does great at Vandy. Every time I hear her speak I'm impressed. She clearly has great knowledge, love for the game, love for her players, but also a hard nosed edge on doing things the right way. Really hope she takes Vandy to the upper echelon of the league!!
Oh, I absolutely agree that we should look for the best available Coach when the time comes. But Carla has shown herself to be a successful head coach. She understands the program, its histories, and its demands. She's worth taking a look at. Today, at least, Shay hasn't proven herself as a head coach. I do believe that she's doing aand it's demands. She's worth taking a look at. Today, at least, Shay hasn't proven herself as a head coach. I do believe that she's doing a terrific job this year. Tough to judge her by prior years given how snake bit she has been with injuries.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I check on Vanderbilt every week to see how they are playing. Have not heard much about the Wisconsin coach.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The last time I recall CD saying anything on this subject was roughly a decade ago, and it was (close paraphrase): When he goes I go.

But just recently the door seems a bit ajar:

"Auriemma and Dailey will both know when it’s time, “whether it’s together or separate — we’re certainly not twins,” Dailey said. “It would be in some ways fitting for us to leave together, but we’re certainly two individuals that have our own minds and situations.”

Dailey was hesitant to say whether she would step into the role if Auriemma were to step down first — “I don’t think about that other stuff” — but said she didn’t see that happening."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's so true! Gene Bartow replaced John Wooden and went 52-9 and took UCLA to the final four in the last of his two year stint there. The alumni put so much pressure on him and the AD to dump him, he left.

Reaction Score
Fans at UConn are so fanatical that they aren't even satisfied with Geno when he doesn't win the NC. If Shae (who has only played on P5 team) and Carla are really good coaches they would never consider UConn. They would be much better off going to a school that has potential and building a program than taking a top program and trying to keep them there.

If you need current day examples I would cite the Ohio State football team. Ryan Day has the highest winning percentage of any coach in OSU history and has only lost 3 times to a Big Ten foe and fans are calling for his head because they haven't beaten Michigan. That same treatment is waiting for the person who replaces Geno.

Reaction Score

Everybody wins.

I’m gonna ask Jimbo Fisher. That man’s a genius…….

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Fans at UConn are so fanatical that they aren't even satisfied with Geno when he doesn't win the NC. If Shae (who has only played on P5 team) and Carla are really good coaches they would never consider UConn. They would be much better off going to a school that has potential and building a program than taking a top program and trying to keep them there.

If you need current day examples I would cite the Ohio State football team. Ryan Day has the highest winning percentage of any coach in OSU history and has only lost 3 times to a Big Ten foe and fans are calling for his head because they haven't beaten Michigan. That same treatment is waiting for the person who replaces Geno.
carla's done that already, extremely successfully. ... and now she's done well at princeton. but i wouldn't be surprised if she satisfied with that.

for shea and carla, being at uconn would not require an ability to build a program. it's great to see that shea seems to be doing it in nashville.

BTW, what's the name of the uconn assistant who made if big playing at vandy? my memory is shot and it's frustrating -- help me out. this kind of thing is exasperating.

Reaction Score
carla's done that already, extremely successfully. ... and now she's done well at princeton. but i wouldn't be surprised if she satisfied with that.

for shea and carla, being at uconn would not require an ability to build a program. it's great to see that shea seems to be doing it in nashville.

BTW, what's the name of the uconn assistant who made if big playing at vandy? my memory is shot and it's frustrating -- help me out. this kind of thing is exasperating.
Jasmine Lister

https://www./family-rivalries/sister-assisters-cinnamon-jasmine-lister-vanderbilt-csun-wnba/

Last edited:

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I check the Vanderbilt form regularly.
I've watched part of one game this season so far.

My hope for Vanderbilt is that in 2-3 years any top 15 team will know that if the don't play their best they're going to get beat.

Reaction Score

Everybody wins.

You clearly know more than me. Sounds sound...

Reaction Score
I check on Vanderbilt every week to see how they are playing. Have not heard much about the Wisconsin coach.
Both Vandy and Wisconsin started the season off on the right foot. Wisconsin lost two games (Kansas State and Arkansas) but they bounced back and picked up their four win of the young season. The key for me in watching Wisconsin this season is, they are figuring out how to close out games better. Coach Marisa is doing a pretty solid job in year three.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I would pay CD Geno's salary of $3 million a year, and pay Carla $400,000 to be associate head coach. When CD retires I would give Carla a salary of $1 million.

Carla's base salary is $700,000. There's another $470,000 available as bonus.

When you get hired as our AD, might I suggest you go on a fundraising binge because I think you're going to need to offer Carla more to tempt her to come back to Storrs.

AND, since I'm retired, the good news is that I'm available for you to hire me as your assistant AD so you can benefit from my other great insights and ideas! :)

Reaction Score
Carla's base salary is $700,000. There's another $470,000 available as bonus.

When you get hired as our AD, might I suggest you go on a fundraising binge because I think you're going to need to offer Carla more to tempt her to come back to Storrs.

AND, since I'm retired, the good news is that I'm available for you to hire me as your assistant AD so you can benefit from my other great insights and ideas! :)
You need to read the article with the link, not just the headline on Google. The whole paragraph is describing Courtney Banghart's salary, not Berube's. Berube's salary is not publicly available.

cabbie191

Reaction Score
The timeless debate of whether or not it makes sense to hire a retiring great coach from the coach's tree continues!

FWIW, VolNation in year 5 of Kellie Harper's tenure is tied up again in knots about whether she should be canned after this year if the team doesn't "do better" or be given another year.

I by no means have kept anything approaching statistical analysis on this but it feels like the trend of LV fans posting on the subject is for the school to move away from hiring from Pat's tree. If you're interested, the thread title currently out there is "Will TN ever return to national contender status"?

Last note with a question - one of the posters on VolNation suggested
the school consider Kari Pickens from Div 2 Ashland College. I briefly checked her record as a coach and it seems quite stellar. I don't think that necessarily translate to success at Div 1 but I'm wondering if any Boneyarders are familiar with her.

cabbie191

Reaction Score

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

How has Lawson "had her struggles" at Duke? They went 26-7 in her 2nd full season and is landing top 30 recruits left and right. She clearly has that program in a good spot and they're on the upswing.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
How has Lawson "had her struggles" at Duke? They went 26-7 in her 2nd full season and is landing top 30 recruits left and right. She clearly has that program in a good spot and they're on the upswing.
Just repeating what Duke fans have said. And what I've read in numerous articles. Success is more than wins and losses.

She had what - 5+ kids transfer out after her first season? Including a player leaving mid-season under mysterious circumstances. Not a great start. But I get why the change of leadership might not sit well especially if she's trying to imprint a change of culture. I believe her associate head coach also left shortly after he was brought on. He lasted all of what - 2 years? Oh, and she was the one who hired him. Needless to say it's NOT been smooth sailing. That's what I was referring to with her struggles.

They were a surprise last season with a bunch of transfers in. This season they played Stanford tough, but lost to Davidson and squeaked past Columbia. We will see how they do. Currently 4-2. She's done some nice recruiting, but the jury is still out as to how successful she will be. But it certainly seems like she is on the right track...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Reminder that Vandy is playing NC State at 7 on ACC Network this evening (Wednesday). I'm looking forward to it.

Reaction Score
Just repeating what Duke fans have said. And what I've read in numerous articles. Success is more than wins and losses.

She had what - 5+ kids transfer out after her first season? Including a player leaving mid-season under mysterious circumstances. Not a great start. But I get why the change of leadership might not sit well especially if she's trying to imprint a change of culture. I believe her associate head coach also left shortly after he was brought on. He lasted all of what - 2 years? Oh, and she was the one who hired him. Needless to say it's NOT been smooth sailing. That's what I was referring to with her struggles.

They were a surprise last season with a bunch of transfers in. This season they played Stanford tough, but lost to Davidson and squeaked past Columbia. We will see how they do. Currently 4-2. She's done some nice recruiting, but the jury is still out as to how successful she will be. But it certainly seems like she is on the right track...
She has 2 potential game changers coming in next year in Fournier and Roberson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom