Meadors fired? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Meadors fired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I am really surprised to see Geno put out a tweet such as that. It sounds as if he is taking a shot at Angel. I can see a reporter making a statement like that but it is surprising coming from a coach. It seems very unprofessional. Are we sure that is his tweet? Is he prone to tweeting comments like this?

It will be very interesting to see what transpired between Meadors and Angel. Should be a juicy story.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Geno follow up tweet:

@genoauriemma: by the way..... i never mentioned any names #guiltyconscience

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I am really surprised to see Geno put out a tweet such as that. It sounds as if he is taking a shot at Angel. I can see a reporter making a statement like that but it is surprising coming from a coach. It seems very unprofessional. Are we sure that is his tweet? Is he prone to tweeting comments like this?

It will be very interesting to see what transpired between Meadors and Angel. Should be a juicy story.
Geno doesn't tweet often, but when he does, he's as blunt through that medium as he is in any other context. Certainly seems like a critique of Angel (though he cleverly denies it in a follow up tweet- see above), but he coaches at a different level from the one Angel plays. If he said something like that about a college player, I'd question it more. A professional, especially one he's recently seen up close (along with her now ex-coach)? Not sweating it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno follow up tweet:

@genoauriemma: by the way..... i never mentioned any names #guiltyconscience

That makes it even more interesting. It may be a reference to the fans as in the Facebook link I made earlier on a page campaigning for Meadors removal back in June.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see the rest of the team play keep-away with Angel... Give the owners a little headache...:)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno doesn't tweet often, but when he does, he's as blunt through that medium as he is in any other context. Certainly seems like a critique of Angel (though he cleverly denies it in a follow up tweet- see above), but he coaches at a different level from the one Angel plays. If he said something like that about a college player, I'd question it more. A professional, especially one he's recently seen up close (along with her now ex-coach)? Not sweating it.

According to Mechelle Voepel, Angel was kvetching a bit behind the scenes about her lack of playing time on Team USA although saying the right things in public. But it's not as if Geno needed the Olympic experience to know what (who) Angel is all about.

Geno also considers Marynell Meadors a friend and he is extremely loyal to his friends. Marynell Meadors once made a comment about how much she liked Geno and she pretty much admitted that her feelings contradicted what she'd been told about Geno by others. Women coaches who are her age and from the south aren't supposed to like Geno and she came right out and said how much she did. I'm sure Geno appreciated that. Of course she was his asst on Team USA, but she didn't need to say what she said. Geno also loves and respects history and teaches his players to respect and honor those who came before them and made what they have possible. I think Geno respects what Meadors has given to the game over the years and believes that alone should have earned her more respect from players and management.

Meadors' comments about Geno reminded me of an interview with Sylvia Hatchell who all but apologized for saying how much she likes Geno and how generous Geno has been to her and her staff over the years (e.g., inviting Sylvia and her staff to some Team USA practices and sharing plays and thoughts on the game).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
You have to admire Voepel for telling it like it is.

Yes, that's her job, but brutal honesty tends to be in short supply in many sports, especially the love-fest of WBB.

Brutally honest, and perhaps more so than I've read from Mechelle over the years. I like her take on Meadors as well, including an indirect reference to the so-called "consensus" out there that Meadors was not the brains of the Dream coaching staff:

Any honest assessment of Meadors would conclude that there were things she was better at than others. Isn't that the case with everybody? Her GM abilities seemed stronger than her in-game bench coaching, but she knew that and delegated some important responsibilities to qualified assistants. It's not a weakness to know what your strengths and weaknesses are; we all have both.

Meadors understands how to put a basketball team together. She knows how to scout, how to game plan, how to spread responsibility, and how to step to the side to let others do their thing.

She entered the profession when you could make about as much money working a fast-food job as you could coaching. She has adapted and changed with the times, been willing to learn new skills and take on different roles.

She's old enough to be a grandmother to some of the players she has coached in the WNBA -- all of whom, if they are Americans, came up through a college system where they got scholarships and perks that Meadors never imagined as a young woman. Only the most thoughtful among them truly understand how much those of Meadors' generation did for them.

Does all that mean Meadors should just be guaranteed a job in the WNBA? Of course not. But she sure didn't deserve what happened Monday.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

If he meant Angel then he should really be blunt and just say it. Using the word "bitch" in his tweet is another interesting use of language.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Please show me a Tweet where Geno used the word Bitch in it regarding Marilyn Meadors.

I doubt you'll find a tweet where Geno ever used Bitch.

If he meant Angel then he should really be blunt and just say it. Using the word "bitch" in his tweet is another interesting use of language.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That makes it even more interesting. It may be a reference to the fans as in the Facebook link I made earlier on a page campaigning for Meadors removal back in June.

Come on. Does anyone really think the "inmate" reference was about a Facebook page? That is REALLY a stretch. It was clearly about Angel. If he meant Angel then just own it and move forward. It certainly doesn't show much respect for a player who just helped you win a gold medal.

Reaction Score
Using the word "bitch" in his tweet is another interesting use of language.

WAY overreaching here.

If someone says "Life's a Bitch," do you assume he is talking about his spouse/mother/sister, or -y'know- just referring to a bad set of circumstances?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Please show me a Tweet where Geno used the word Bitch in it regarding Marilyn Meadors.

I doubt you'll find a tweet where Geno ever used Bitch.

Maybe I don't understand Twitter too well. Was the #coachibgisaBitch" not part of Geno's tweet?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
WAY overreaching here.

If someone says "Life's a Bitch," do you assume he is talking about his spouse/mother/sister, or -y'know- just referring to a bad set of circumstances?

I never said I think he was referring to Angel, I just find it interesting for a coach to use the word in a tweet. If I were a male coach of A women's basketball team I would probably avoid that word. THAT was my point.

Reaction Score
I never said I think he was referring to Angel, I just find it interesting for a coach to use the word in a tweet. If I were a male coach of A women's basketball team I would probably avoid that word. THAT was my point.

Please.
It's an expression. #muchAdoAboutLittle

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
You are correct. It is an expression. One with the word "bitch" in it.

If the tag would have read #coachingstinks, would you have thought he was commenting on a possible body odor issue with Angel? I know I wouldn't because that would require a rather large leap in logic. I think the connection you are trying to make regarding 'bitch' and Angel requires the same leap.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You are correct. It is an expression. One with the word "bitch" in it.

It says coaching is a bitch, not anything about coaching a bitch with a typo of "coachibg" for "coaching." In other words coaching is hard and often goes unrewarded.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I NEVER said I thought it was a reference to Angel!!! Can you people read? I simply think that it was a profoundly unprofessional tweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom