McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return | Page 12 | The Boneyard

McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Specifics or examples where he didn't preach responsibility for himself? Look. Even I thought he handled his departure terribly but to say he was not accountable is just a fable.

Every loss was solely on the players. I grew to hate listening to his post game interview after a defeat because we were always going to get the "some players failed to execute" excuse. Can you point to any examples where he said "it's my fault" or, more specifically, acknowledged any weakness or mistakes in planning, prep, schemes, play calling, etc. that could be attributed to him?

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Maryland football Coach Randy Edsall refuses to take blame for team’s shortcomings

After the game the coach evaded any blame by saying, “You can always look back and say you could have called this or could have called that. They are always good calls if the plays are executed.” Instead of taking blame as a head coach should, especially for an ill-advised play call, Edsall essentially placed the blame on his players.
Edsall needs to go.

I absolutely loved the comment at the end of Feinstein's article about how Maryland couldn't possibly afford to pay Edsall's buyout back during the 2012 season. Look where they ended up with him there for three more seasons.

Look, I like the guy personally, and I'm sure he'd take back his classless exit from UCONN if he could, but he's not the answer for us, and never will be. I will support the program if he's the choice, but we can do so much better.

Reaction Score
Every loss was solely on the players. I grew to hate listening to his post game interview after a defeat because we were always going to get the "some players failed to execute" excuse. Can you point to any examples where he said "it's my fault" or, more specifically, acknowledged any weakness or mistakes in planning, prep, schemes, play calling, etc. that could be attributed to him?
one cannot, because it doesn't exist. My personal favorite is when Don Brown left as DC of Maryland after RE was hired to become, wait for it, the DC at Connecticut, RE -- publicly, no less -- blamed it on Don Brown teenage daughter becoming pregnant.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I appreciate the sentiment but Calhoun came to UConn as the tourney was expanding to 64 teams; He didn't face anything close to the G5 ceiling. UConn football success, at least in the short-mid term, should not be measured in basketball metrics.

"The G5 ceiling" as you call it doesn't preclude teams from being nationally ranked in the top 25, which is all that's being suggested here. If Houston, Temple, Navy Memphis, USF and UCF can figure out a way to do it, so can we.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
"The G5 ceiling" as you call it doesn't preclude teams from being nationally ranked in the top 25, which is all that's being suggested here. If Houston, Temple, Navy Memphis, USF and UCF can figure out a way to do it, so can we.
it makes it pretty hard to get 2 in the top 20 and all but guarantees no more than one in the top 10. A pretty stacked deck compared to basketball.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
If Edsall is Benedict's choice, I'm aware of no reason why it cannot be announced right now. If we're waiting until Jan 2 to make the announcement, then it seems unlikely it's going to be him. That would make it more likely that it's somebody involved with a bowl game that hasn't been played yet.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
If Edsall is Benedict's choice, I'm aware of no reason why it cannot be announced right now. If we're waiting until Jan 2 to make the announcement, then it seems unlikely it's going to be him. That would make it more likely that it's somebody involved with a bowl game that hasn't been played yet.
I think this is right, that's why those 'announcement in 48 hour' posts had me worried. I also think that DB can't risk getting into the winter recruiting period without a coach which is why i think he already has a deal in his pocket.

Reaction Score
You aren't being serious, right? I mean you're being facetious yes?

Quite serious, yes. I set the parallels out pretty clearly. You simply choose to ignore them.

Don't mistake my position with a lack of understanding or appreciation of what he did here. I simply think it's unlikely, given where we are, where he is, and where the game of college football is, that he could do it again.

Reaction Score
Terps fan here, I come in peace.

It's been intriguing to me reading this thread and following the story about Edsall's possible return to UConn, because there seems to be very little grey area when it comes to people's opinions. Having said that, I figured I'd shed some light on why he ultimately failed at Maryland, as I've seen that question asked multiple times here.

First off, he was put into a tough situation. He was replacing a well-respected coach in Fridge and was offered the job because Fridge steamrolled then HC in-waiting James Franklin on the way out. So there were already some bad vibes around the program when he got there.

That said, he didn't do himself any favors from the jump. He immediately changed the culture and come off as kind of a hard ass in the process. He always talked about bringing in great "young men", but he never let them be themselves. No du-rags seems pretty harmless on the surface, but good luck enforcing that in PG County, Maryland.

Randy's biggest fail however, was alienating prominent local high schools and coaches. He made little effort to maintain positive relationships with schools like Dematha, and that ultimately bit him in the ass when recruiting. Had it not been for Mike Locksley (who basically brought in Diggs on his own), Edsall would have not lasted as long as he did. His classes were filled with low 3*s with crappy offer lists. It's impossible to gauge DJ Durkin just yet, but he is a full 180 in terms of creating relationships with local coaches, and it's already paying off in recruiting in a big way.

Lastly, he refused to take any of the blame when anything went wrong. Some of you have already linked some of the articles so I won't do it again, but he notoriously deflected blame, even onto his players at times. If you asked him at the time, he probably thought he did very little wrong.

I don't know a single person at MD who is upset that Edsall is gone, and many major donors ponied up big dollars to get rid of him. The leftover roster that he left for Durkin is downright embarrassing for a B1G program, and he undoubtedly set us back a few years.

None of this is any indication of what he would do if he returned to UConn, but figured I'd shed some light on the situation for y'all. Good luck in finding a new coach!

Reaction Score

It's been intriguing to me reading this thread and following the story about Edsall's possible return to UConn, because there seems to be very little grey area when it comes to people's opinions. Having said that, I figured I'd shed some light on why he ultimately failed at Maryland, as I've seen that question asked multiple times here.

First off, he was put into a tough situation. He was replacing a well-respected coach in Fridge and was offered the job because Fridge steamrolled then HC in-waiting James Franklin on the way out. So there were already some bad vibes around the program when he got there.

That said, he didn't do himself any favors from the jump. He immediately changed the culture and come off as kind of a hard ass in the process. He always talked about bringing in great "young men", but he never let them be themselves. No du-rags seems pretty harmless on the surface, but good luck enforcing that in PG County, Maryland.

Randy's biggest fail however, was alienating prominent local high schools and coaches. He made little effort to maintain positive relationships with schools like Dematha, and that ultimately bit him in the ass when recruiting. Had it not been for Mike Locksley (who basically brought in Diggs on his own), Edsall would have not lasted as long as he did. His classes were filled with low 3*s with crappy offer lists. It's impossible to gauge DJ Durkin just yet, but he is a full 180 in terms of creating relationships with local coaches, and it's already paying off in recruiting in a big way.

Lastly, he refused to take any of the blame when anything went wrong. Some of you have already linked some of the articles so I won't do it again, but he notoriously deflected blame, even onto his players at times. If you asked him at the time, he probably thought he did very little wrong.

I don't know a single person at MD who is upset that Edsall is gone, and many major donors ponied up big dollars to get rid of him. The leftover roster that he left for Durkin is downright embarrassing for a B1G program, and he undoubtedly set us back a few years.

None of this is any indication of what he would do if he returned to UConn, but figured I'd shed some light on the situation for y'all. Good luck in finding a new coach!
This^^^^^^

Reaction Score
If Edsall is the guy that means Burton wrote the check and signed the memo line "Fire Diaco hire Edsall"
With, or without, some contribution from a few past Edsall players?

Edsall: How about DC?

Reaction Score
Your lack of understanding for what Randy did here, minus his exit, tells me you lack football knowledge or you have an agenda.

Last I knew he was 74-70 at UConn and that inlcluded a jump from 1AA to the Big East rather quickly.

That retread you speak of is, by far, the best coach UConn has had in the FBS era.
If he has the right players we definitely could be going places, also remember that when he coached UConn, week after week our apponents were Miami, West Virginia, FSU, Pitt, Syracuse, BC, Rutgers, Virginia Tech, and one or two more I'm forgetting. To go 74-70 against competition like that for a school that just upgraded football is quite an accomplishment. He is definitely, for several reasons, one guy who could turn the program around quickly, given the present competition. However, how far and how long that turn around could go is the big question. All that being said if he does get the job he needs to come out and explain why he left the way he did.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He was a transfer from WPI. The finest school in all the land
WPI went 6-4 this year, were undefeated out of conference, and averaged 31.4 points per game. I watched them stomp Norwich 41-17 when I went up to visit my son for parent's weekend. A great team? Hardly, but a fun one to watch.

Reaction Score

This is what I meant by FHCRE having the uncanny ability, despite his many other coaching talents, at being able to piss off a lot of people, especially HS coaches, prospective recruits and their parents, reporters, and fans. For those reasons his ability to recruit the 4 and 5 star kid has always been an area for improvement, especially in his programs home state or local area. That being said his ability to recognize a diamond in the rough 3 star kid or lower was the best I have ever seen. He also knew how to surround himself with assistants that also could recruit. If we get FHCRE, I'm OK with it, though I would rather hope against hope that DB can back up the money truck and make a serious offer to Moorhead, Miles, Fleck, Schiano.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is what I meant by FHCRE having the uncanny ability, despite his many other coaching talents, at being able to piss off a lot of people, especially HS coaches, prospective recruits and their parents, reporters, and fans. For those reasons his ability to recruit the 4 and 5 star kid has always been an area for improvement, especially in his programs home state or local area. That being said his ability to recognize a diamond in the rough 3 star kid or lower was the best I have ever seen.
He was forced to hire Mike Locksley as his OC by AD Kevin Anderson...there was no search..there was no how about this guy or how about that guy..it was you are hiring Mike Locksley and that is the way it will be. That guy alone was the one who recruited any of the guys they brought in or had committed when Edsall was fired.

Reaction Score
He was forced to hire Mike Locksley as his OC by AD Kevin Anderson...there was no search..there was no how about this guy or how about that guy..it was you are hiring Mike Locksley and that is the way it will be. That guy alone was the one who recruited any of the guys they brought in or had committed when Edsall was fired.
There was some of that at UCONN also, Joe Moorhead and others recruited many of the really good players that came to UCONN under RE, that being said I would be OK, just OK, with a RE hire. He would in my opinion get us back to above 500 or a little higher in the first season, and let's hope he has learned how to reach out to his home state and local area in building recruiting relationships with FCIAC and SCC coaches.

Reaction Score
There was some of that at UCONN also, Joe Moorhead and others recruited many of the really good players that came to UCONN under RE, that being said I would be OK, just OK, with a RE hire. He would in my opinion get us back to above 500 or a little higher in the first season, and let's hope he has learned how to reach out to his home state and local area in building recruiting relationships with FCIAC and SCC coaches.
As you can see in this post by @TerpHamm :

he continued his stellar in-state recruiting relationships in MD too!

Reaction Score
In all honesty... who cares who the next coach is at this point. I'm just glad to have Diaco out. I yelled at him every game since he was hired and didn't have fun once since he was hired. I'll be happy no matter what. Trust Benedict and let's gooooooo
You say that now. Then the next coach loses his first game and then things turn. I honestly don't know if this board will ever be happy / content with current coach.

Reaction Score
That's exactly the same kind of defeatist thinking that was prevalent around UCONN before John Toner hired Jim Calhoun. Show the right coach a ceiling and he'll blast through it with a howitzer.

NO, with all due respect your position is exactly the problem we will have in building a supportive fanbase. First, college basketball is not like college football in terms of ability to become a player out of nowhere. It's not like it at all. Second, your theory rests on hiring Jim Calhoun, who (at worst) is the second best college basketball coach of the last 40 years. The odds of any school being able to find football's version of Jim Calhoun, before he has achieved at a high level, is infinitesimal. It's great if it happens, but if you're just going to wait around and cycle through coaches until it happens, the odds are you will never get anywhere in your lifetime.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think I'm a no on RE returning. The only thing keeping him on my list is that we are at the point of no return on the next coach.

He either turns it around or UConn is playing in front of 8,000 people for a generation, winning 3-4 games a year and recruiting kids from the old Yankee Conference stompin grounds. The rise officially becomes an anomaly and UConn officially a place you can't win.

I know RE can compete and win in this conference. Maybe it is at 9-3 and not 11-1, but he would get us into the AAC championship game. Of that I have no doubt.

The question is how long and would he do better than once every 4 or 5 years? I don't think he would as I don't see him as a program changer. I see him as a guy that will build a non-embarrassing program that beats the bad teams and occasionally jumps up and bites a good team. Exactly what he was.

The question for everyone is, "Is that good enough in our current situation?"

It's not an easy question, if you factor in all his baggage. To me it seems like waving a white flag, but it would likely stop the bleeding.

Reaction Score
Smash-mouth is still alive in 2016. Of the 4 playoff teams, only Clemson passes more than 50% of the time. Even Penn State, OC Joe Moorhead, is less than 50%. You still need to be balanced with an effective passing game, which they are. But they are smash-mouth. Like we were with Brown, Dixon, Todman.

With Brown, Dixon and Tolman, UCone had a terrible passing attack. The Huskies were one-dimensional. The records during that stretch were good, not great. The trouble with "smash-mouth" is that while it sounds "bad ", it limits what you can do on offense. The game is played differently today. A brief check of scores on any given Saturday tells us that - 45-43, 36-31 scores are far more common that 17-13.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
NO, with all due respect your position is exactly the problem we will have in building a supportive fanbase. First, college basketball is not like college football in terms of ability to become a player out of nowhere. It's not like it at all. Second, your theory rests on hiring Jim Calhoun, who (at worst) is the second best college basketball coach of the last 40 years. The odds of any school being able to find football's version of Jim Calhoun, before he has achieved at a high level, is infinitesimal. It's great if it happens, but if you're just going to wait around and cycle through coaches until it happens, the odds are you will never get anywhere in your lifetime.

Winning is what builds a supportive fanbase. The point is you don't accomplish anything if you're imposing some arbitrary standard on the program beyond which you have no hope of ever going. That's what kills the potential to get somewhere that you're trying to go.

I'm not suggesting you have to find a once in a lifetime quality coach to be at least an occasional top 25 team. Somehow Houston, Temple, UCF, USF and Memphis have figured out a way to do it. If they can without necessarily hiring a once in a lifetime miracle worker, then so can we.

If you think UCONN is resigned to second tier status just because it's in New England, that's the real problem with generating a fanbase. That's the same small minded, provincial New England thinking that helped put us where we are right now. Lew Perkins had the vision to see beyond those perceived limitations, and it appears David Benedict is making an attempt to change that culture. As far as I'm concerned anyone that's in that camp is part of our problem as a fanbase. It's the same crowd that was crowing here a few days ago that we don't have the money for the buyout.

Either get behind Benedict and the program or get out of the way. He has a vision and hopefully will hire the right guy to bring us back to respectability. It's not rocket science. Just because we're in the wrong part of the country isn't a death sentence. All I'm suggesting is we can at least become an occasional if not perennial top 25 team, and maybe make it back to the G5 NY bowl game on a rare occasion. If you think all of that is an excercise in futility, then there's no point in even trying, and we should be resigned to dropping back down to IAA and put basketball in the A10 or somewhere. We either make the all out effort to eventually join a P5 conference or we don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom