McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return | Page 7 | The Boneyard

McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Who says you can't go home?

Joe Gibbs, for one.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We obviously don't know the list of potentials that DB can select from, but a RE hire seems to me like trying to hit a double. He's a safe pick and would improve the team, but can he make UConn good enough to merit inclusion in a real conference? Perhaps. That's got to be the main criterion for DB.

Hit a double? It's leaning in to an inside pitch and taking a walk to first base.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
From a players standpoint I've heard Edsall is a mixed bag. Some guys really liked him and respected him as a coach and others absolutely hated his guts. I'm indifferent to this hire, but I hope he's more like Plan C instead of plan A or B.

It would be nice, though, if he came in as HC and could swing Andrew Breiner here as his OC.

I would be surprised if this happens. This is Benedict's reputation on the line, and while RE is low risk, he is probably low reward. This doesn't feel like the move an up and coming AD does.

The only way I see this happening is if a high profile OC is onboard. An RE controlled offense is a boring offense. I know at MD his offense showed some creativity, but he had athletes there. Get an offensively well regarded FCS head coach on board as OC, it could work.

It still doesn't feel like the right move for Benedict...bringing in a guy with more connections and experience at UConn than him. If his name is on this move, I would think he would want more control.

But...it could work.

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if this happens. This is Benedict's reputation on the line, and while RE is low risk, he is probably low reward. This doesn't feel like the move an up and coming AD does.

The only way I see this happening is if a high profile OC is onboard. An RE controlled offense is a boring offense. I know at MD his offense showed some creativity, but he had athletes there. Get an offensively well regarded FCS head coach on board as OC, it could work.

It still doesn't feel like the right move for Benedict...bringing in a guy with more connections and experience at UConn than him. If his name is on this move, I would think he would want more control.

But...it could work.

I completely agree with your logic. I don't see Benedict taking him on unless he has one hell of a staff lined up.

Reaction Score
Edsal Trial balloon.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
still better than striking out

Yes, but you swing at pitches because you'll never win by just trying for a walk. We hiref a safe, uninspired veteran HC who won in the Big East, his name was Paul. Then we swung for the fences and fouled out with Diaco.

This hire...if we paid Diaco $3.2m to leave, cannot be safe and uninspired. This hire has to bring energy and enthusiasm to the program. But someone with a HC track record who is less likely to be a total failure.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Upside - he'll get us playing aggressive style football.. making plays on D... downside - offense won't be great but the one positive is we can sure as heck (and will) run the football...AND one final positive - SPECIAL TEAMS!!!

Edsall addresses all facets of the game unlike his potential predecessor Diaco....

So, as much as I actually don't think I want him back, Edsall knows UConn. He got his start here... Now, maybe, just maybe, he has more tools now than he did 5/6 years ago to finish what he started...

I'm playing catch up so someone may have already addressed this.

Special teams were a disaster for a while when Edsall started. He learned and brought in coaches and turned special teams in to a strong point. Dare I say, UConn had an identity with wedge busters like Anderson and Sherman, returners like Williams and Fry and kickers like Taggart and Cullen. That learning curve alone puts him miles ahead of PP and BD. Plus as others have mentioned, he was more pass happy with Endres.

Not my first choice. As others said pencil in 6-6 to 8-4 every year, no WTF losses and bowl games most seasons. Also, BD wasn't any better with the execution blame game on players. Heck Saban does it when Alabama wins.

I'd be ecstatic if he brought in a good OC.

He can run a clean program, develop a coaching staff and give the program an identity.

Reaction Score
This program does have a cieling. Had Edsall gotten to it yet -- no, there was a little more to go. But for reasons I've said elsewhere, this program is not going to be a consistent national ranked team. There are too many with far greater resources.

I agree this program has a definate ceiling. My hope for UConn football is (was) to be a perennial top 40 team, occasionally finishing in the top 25 once every 4 0r 5 years. Had the BE held together, I think Edsall could have achieved that provided he eventually did a better job recruiting the QB position, where Dan O. was his only solid success story. It will be much harder if not impossible to be a perennial top 40 team while a member of the AAC regardless of who the new HC is. Finishing in the top 60 and occasionally breaking into the top 40 is about the best we can hope for in the AAC, IMO.

Reaction Score
Anyone think this might be the work of good ole' Randy's infamous agent/publicist? The same one that had Randy's name floated out there as a potential hire for just about every open job his last 3 or so years here? Pretty funny how that came full circle.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
How does Randy explain that Uconn is his dream job

Cripes I can write a "The grass ain't always greener on the otherside" speech in five minutes.

You start off with a mea culpa, throw in some existential BS about chasing dreams and finding a new zen and then move on.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I prefer Moorhead or a couple others.

But let's be honest; if Edsall got the gig, we would get back to winning again. He would bring back a good collection of assistants (which we seem more willing to pay nowadays) and our offensive line would be back in order. Pennsylvania recruiting would return again. Bowl games would return. And I'm sure his first press conference would include something like, "I didn't know what I had until it was gone, and I'm so happy to be back home."

After 6 craptastic years, I'm willing to take him back. After his 6 craptastic years without us, I'm sure he's willing to come back...

Reaction Score
He will need to be contrite about his departure. Completely agree

His mea culpa will make Jimmy Serrano's look like Sesame Street. I also believe he will do whatever it takes to bring UConn FB back to respectable status, including hiring an OC, with DB's approval, that will make UConn FB exciting.

He has a chance to fix his damaged legacy, from leaving here, to his experience at MD.

He will make this his last stop and I'm sure he will do whatever it takes to set off to retirement with a smile.

It's no secret I was a member of the Randy Apologista club, and I had the pleasure of experiencing Randy's personality away from football and he really was a decent guy.

I golfed with a 4some right behind him at a charity event, so I got to see him relaxed on the course. Was a regular guy with no entitled attitude. A few other events he always seem to remember me and acted down to earth.

All that said. I'd be OK if he didn't get hired. Though it would be fun to watch all the haters who don't understand that he didn't commit a crime by the way he left. He who has not.............cast the first stone.

Forgive and move on. If he could recruit and coach up to win in the Big East I have no doubt the AAC will be no problem. Especially with all the coaching changes that just took place.

Last edited:

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
RE with a great OC is RE with an ordinary stifled OC.
See Joe Moorhead.

It's a different time. RE has been taken down a peg and may be open to letting someone else run the offense. I would also guess it would be a DB condition of employment.

Reaction Score
I am going skiing tomorrow. Hopefully when I get back Edsall has not been named coach. That would harsh my endorphin induced vibe and make it impossible to take a nap before dinner. Sorry if that sounds a little self-centered, but it is what it is. It is tough to spoil a good ski day, but that would do it.

Reaction Score
You actually believe this.

I think his point is, until otherwise proven, yes. Think about where Randy came from to start the UConn rebuild. While there may be more to his resume, I only remember him being a secondary coach for the Jaguars, who did pretty well under his watch in their "building years" in their first few years in the NFL. Without looking it up, I have no idea what Randy did besides something at Syracuse. (ok I'm now officially old AND I refuse to look it up)

Reaction Score
Maryland football Coach Randy Edsall refuses to take blame for team’s shortcomings

After the game the coach evaded any blame by saying, “You can always look back and say you could have called this or could have called that. They are always good calls if the plays are executed.” Instead of taking blame as a head coach should, especially for an ill-advised play call, Edsall essentially placed the blame on his players.
Edsall needs to go.
You just made my point Nan. Never threw a player under the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom