McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return | Page 6 | The Boneyard

McMurphy - Edsall "very strong candidate" to return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is far more likely that 8-5 is UConn's cieling than Edsall's.
BL you are a smart guy and go to a ton of games...you can't tell me that after all the games you have watched that Edsall coached at UConn that he was good at defending the spread..or spread option based teams.

Reaction Score
Upside - he'll get us playing aggressive style football.. making plays on D... downside - offense won't be great but the one positive is we can sure as heck (and will) run the football...AND one final positive - SPECIAL TEAMS!!!

Edsall addresses all facets of the game unlike his potential predecessor Diaco....

So, as much as I actually don't think I want him back, Edsall knows UConn. He got his start here... Now, maybe, just maybe, he has more tools now than he did 5/6 years ago to finish what he started...
Great call on consistent domination from his Special Teams!

Reaction Score
Kevin NathanVerified account‏@KevinNathanNBC
Sources tell @NBCConnecticut sports that @RandyEdsall has interest in being a head coach again and that he is on @UConnFootball short list.
Exit, thank you for the post I like the fact you posted it but I can't like the post. ;)

One has to believe if he is on any list it is at the bottom and him coming here would be because nobody worthy wants the job. DB knows whoever comes in will have to put fans in the seats, with the talent available it may take awhile. Randy made a lot of enemies and it would take winning right away to do so. At this point I would really rather have someone going up the ladder than down. They already tried that with PP and you know how that supposed miracle hire worked out. Head bang

Reaction Score
You actually believe this.

This program does have a cieling. Had Edsall gotten to it yet -- no, there was a little more to go. But for reasons I've said elsewhere, this program is not going to be a consistent national ranked team. There are too many with far greater resources.

Reaction Score
I don't believe at all that RE is coming back. DB may surprise us but I don't want or even think for a second the Les Miles or Schiano kinda guys are the least bit interested. If I had to bet my lunch money I would have to decide between Joe Moorhead or the Auburn kid but I'm also drunk on eggnog right now.

Reaction Score
BL you are a smart guy and go to a ton of games...you can't tell me that after all the games you have watched that Edsall coached at UConn that he was good at defending the spread..or spread option based teams.

Never lost to USF at home. I think they've beaten us at home 3 straight times.

The guy is not Bear Bryant. That is not my point. Sometimes, a coach fits a job and does better than you should have expected if you are fair. Edsall did that here, warts and all, by a mile. That's not to say Edsall would fit the job today as well -- I HAVE NOT ONCE SAID WE SHOULD HIRE HIM -- but what he accomplished was very impressive to anyone outside of our state, and far more coaches we hire won't get to where he got than will.

Reaction Score
If we end up going retro - can we get the Block C back in the deal?

Randy Block C.jpg

Reaction Score
By the time HCRE left I was growing very tired of his act. He preached responsibility for everyone but himself. Whenever things went wrong he didn't have the sack to take the heat. He was given a pass because he built the FBS version of the program and exceeded relatively modest expectations. He would be a clear improvement on the Diaco era but it would hardly be the kind of exciting move that would cause me to buy season tickets again.

Reaction Score
I know him personally and would vehemently disagree
Coach Edsall was fantastic with me when I was a young HS Assistant Coach trying to learn anything I could from his staff at UConn. No cameras around, no angling for an "in" for one of our players, he just made sure he and his entire staff was always available to help a young coach in CT without any foreseeable payoff for his efforts. Unless he was banking on me speaking up on his behalf in a bulletin board over a decade later. If so, BRAVO for achieving "ninja" status at playing the long game!

Reaction Score
Coach Edsall was fantastic with me when I was a young HS Assistant Coach trying to learn anything I could from his staff at UConn. No cameras around, no angling for an "in" for one of our players, he just made sure he and his entire staff was always available to help a young coach in CT without any foreseeable payoff for his efforts. Unless he was banking on me speaking up on his behalf in a bulletin board over a decade later. If so, BRAVO for achieving "ninja" status at playing the long game!

I know people that attended all of his preseason camps for HS coaches and they say the same thing. They all thought very highly of him.

Reaction Score
This.... from one of the best people I've met through the Boneyard. With a mutual affinity for Brian Sparks

Reaction Score
This.... from one of the best people I've met through the Boneyard. With a mutual affinity for Brian Sparks
Ha! Great reference. Thank you, kind Sir. Likewise!

Reaction Score
How does Randy explain that Uconn is his dream job

People make decisions they ultimately regret all the time-especially professional decisions! "The grass is not always greener on the other side." All he needs to do is own up to the bad decisions he made and show he is committed by saying "my decision to leave the UofC was the biggest mistake of my career. I left for the job I dreamed of, but now realized that I had it....i handled my departure with players poorly and I regret it....I am ecstatic to be back home and will be dedicated to making Uconn nation proud again! ". Most people would support him again.

I liked Randy when he coached UCONN, but never thought he would bring us to the next level (perennially Top 20 team). And, I was extremely disappointed with the way he left the team.

I would prefer to see Uconn make a move by hiring a big time coach, though I am resigned to the fact we will probably never gain entry to a P5 conference and will unlikely become a perennial top 20 team. Randy would be a great consolation prize if we can't land a name coach-he would at least lead the team in the right direction and make us proud again.

Reaction Score
Never lost to USF at home. I think they've beaten us at home 3 straight times.

The guy is not Bear Bryant. That is not my point. Sometimes, a coach fits a job and does better than you should have expected if you are fair. Edsall did that here, warts and all, by a mile. That's not to say Edsall would fit the job today as well -- I HAVE NOT ONCE SAID WE SHOULD HIRE HIM -- but what he accomplished was very impressive to anyone outside of our state, and far more coaches we hire won't get to where he got than will.
BL USf didn't run the spread when he was here...I know you didn't say that I'm just bringing some points you have failed to recognize.

Reaction Score
By the time HCRE left I was growing very tired of his act. He preached responsibility for everyone but himself. Whenever things went wrong he didn't have the sack to take the heat. He was given a pass because he built the FBS version of the program and exceeded relatively modest expectations. He would be a clear improvement on the Diaco era but it would hardly be the kind of exciting move that would cause me to buy season tickets again.
Specifics or examples where he didn't preach responsibility for himself? Look. Even I thought he handled his departure terribly but to say he was not accountable is just a fable.

Reaction Score
Specifics or examples where he didn't preach responsibility for himself? Look. Even I thought he handled his departure terribly but to say he was not accountable is just a fable.
Go look at any post game presser when things were going bad...if you do you may also find the one where he said that this fanbase really doesn't know football and shouldn't really have an opinion on how his team is playing.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Name one player he threw under the bus. Just one. He talked a lot about needing to execute better and in particular the first play against Navy at the Rent when the secondary bit on the fake after being coached up all week to watch the fake on the first play. But he never threw a player under the bus.
Maryland football Coach Randy Edsall refuses to take blame for team’s shortcomings

After the game the coach evaded any blame by saying, “You can always look back and say you could have called this or could have called that. They are always good calls if the plays are executed.” Instead of taking blame as a head coach should, especially for an ill-advised play call, Edsall essentially placed the blame on his players.
Edsall needs to go.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Exit, thank you for the post I like the fact you posted it but I can't like the post. ;)

One has to believe if he is on any list it is at the bottom and him coming here would be because nobody worthy wants the job. DB knows whoever comes in will have to put fans in the seats, with the talent available it may take awhile. Randy made a lot of enemies and it would take winning right away to do so. At this point I would really rather have someone going up the ladder than down. They already tried that with PP and you know how that supposed miracle hire worked out. Head bang
Of course he's interested. No other D1 school will give him a head coaching job.

Reaction Score
Go look at any post game presser when things were going bad...if you do you may also find the one where he said that this fanbase really doesn't know football and shouldn't really have an opinion on how his team is playing.
The same fan base other than us die hards that were calling into Joe D yesterday? I saw some comments yesterday about how dumb some of those calls are. Here's what I do know. You and I are passionate about this program. We may not see eye to eye about FHCRE (future) but we wish for the best.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Great leaders say 'We' when things go well, and 'I' when things go badly. Share the credit and take the blame (that's one thing that drives me crazy about Eli Manning, it's always 'We' and never 'I').

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom