McGuff and Recruiting at Ohio State | The Boneyard

McGuff and Recruiting at Ohio State

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I first off have to say that I like McGuff. I like what he did at Xavier and Washington. He had a really good recruiting class coming in at Washington for 2013.

This got me thinking about the possibilites at Ohio State. Ohio has a lot of good talent year after year. If he gets things going starting with the 2014 class he could really make a mark with the Buckeyes.

Kelsey Mitchell, Kathryn Westbeld and a couple of post players ranked ahead of her that reside in Ohio.

Should make for an interesting recruiting summer.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I first off have to say that I like McGuff. I like what he did at Xavier and Washington. He had a really good recruiting class coming in at Washington for 2013.

This got me thinking about the possibilites at Ohio State. Ohio has a lot of good talent year after year. If he gets things going starting with the 2014 class he could really make a mark with the Buckeyes.

Kelsey Mitchell, Kathryn Westbeld and a couple of post players ranked ahead of her that reside in Ohio.

Should make for an interesting recruiting summer.
Let's hope he strikes out on Westbeld. Since we aren't recruiting Mitchell, I'd not be sad to see her go there...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
David Naples also had some other interesting stats in his post on possibly breaking the scoring record next year...

Last season, UConn scored 3,218 points, 3rd highest total ever. They were only 176 pts shy of the record set in 2001-02. While it is never wise to count your chickens before the eggs hatch, this year's team might be able to make a run at the scoring record. Consider the following:
* Seven of the top eight scorers are returning. (Faris was 4th, Doty 9th.)

* Stewie played only 854 minutes & averaged 13.8 pts/game. In the 5 tournament games, she averaged 20.8 pts/game.

* Faris, Doty and Buck played 1,936 minutes & scored 14.2 pts/game. Banks, Jefferson and Tuck averaged 18.4 pts in less minutes.

* Kiah Stokes scored 88 points, just 33 less than Doty.

* Banks, Tuck and Jefferson missed 113 total 3pt shots and made only 29.8%.

* Stewie made only 28 of 84 total 3 pt attempts (33.3%). Her 84 tries were only 20 more than Jefferson.

* Hartley averaged 9.2 pts/game vs. 14.0 Freshman year & scored 191 fewer points.

* UConn played 2012-13 with 3 freshman, Doty gutting it out on one leg and had Banks for just 359 minutes.

* UConn plays an AAC schedule with 8 games against four teams they beat in 2012 by an average of 27.4 pts/game. They also play 10 games against five teams with a 2012 record of 81-78.

Reaction Score
Is UConn recruiting Makayla Waterman? Not sure if this has already been posted, but an espnW article from today discusses Westbeld, Waterman, and Mitchell all playing for the same AAU team this year, as well as the possibility of the former two in particular going to the same college.

But the burning question for many recruiters is whether All-Ohio's trio will stay together for college.

All three girls said they are open to the possibility, although each will make an individual decision -- no package deals.

Kathryn Westbeld has made unofficial recruiting visits to Ohio State, Connecticut, Michigan State, Dayton, Xavier, Notre Dame and Florida -- most with pal and teammate Makayla Waterman in tow.

All three girls said they are open to the possibility, although each will make an individual decision -- no package deals.

"It's rare to find two girls who have played together since the third grade -- we have crazy chemistry," Westbeld said. "Staying together is definitely a possibility, but we have to make the best pick for ourselves first. If that happens to be the same [college], that would be awesome."

Waterman mentioned two colleges on her list of unofficial visits that differed from those of Westbeld: Kentucky and Purdue.

"I think [going to the same college] is an option," Waterman said. "But we are not trying to force anything. If it happens, it happens."

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
This adds to my point that McGuff could come in and sweep all three girls up as Buckeyes. He is a smart young coach and these 3 would be a nice way to start your coaching career at Ohio State.

Stay tuned I suppose.

Summer recruiting could get interesting.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Ohio State has tremendous facilities, a solid academic reputation, a large and rabid fanbase (not for WBB, but if the team was good, people would show up), and is generally not a bad place to be a scholarship athlete. In a weak B1G, they are a sleeping giant.

Reaction Score
This adds to my point that McGuff could come in and sweep all three girls up as Buckeyes. He is a smart young coach and these 3 would be a nice way to start your coaching career at Ohio State.

Stay tuned I suppose.

Summer recruiting could get interesting.
I agree with you that McGuff is going to recruit Ohio well. It could be, though, that he's gotten too late a start for make a big splash in 2014. Another big-time 2014 prospect from Ohio being targeted by McGuff is Alyssa Rice, and I read that Maryland's been recruiting her since middle school. Will McGuff be able to swoop in now and land some of these players when others have been after them for years? We'll see.

And recruiting is always interesting.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Also, I've seen some news source about his recruiting and it doesn't mention anything about Alexa Hart who is #16 according to Hoopgurls so if he could get any of those five Ohio State could be right back in it.

Who knows maybe they'll get a UNC reaction, miss the NCAA tournament then get the #1 ranked recruiting class, but hopefully without any scholarship issues.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
David Naples also had some other interesting stats in his post on possibly breaking the scoring record next year...

Last season, UConn scored 3,218 points, 3rd highest total ever. They were only 176 pts shy of the record set in 2001-02. While it is never wise to count your chickens before the eggs hatch, this year's team might be able to make a run at the scoring record. Consider the following:
* Seven of the top eight scorers are returning. (Faris was 4th, Doty 9th.)

* Stewie played only 854 minutes & averaged 13.8 pts/game. In the 5 tournament games, she averaged 20.8 pts/game.

* Faris, Doty and Buck played 1,936 minutes & scored 14.2 pts/game. Banks, Jefferson and Tuck averaged 18.4 pts in less minutes.

* Kiah Stokes scored 88 points, just 33 less than Doty.

* Banks, Tuck and Jefferson missed 113 total 3pt shots and made only 29.8%.

* Stewie made only 28 of 84 total 3 pt attempts (33.3%). Her 84 tries were only 20 more than Jefferson.

* Hartley averaged 9.2 pts/game vs. 14.0 Freshman year & scored 191 fewer points.

* UConn played 2012-13 with 3 freshman, Doty gutting it out on one leg and had Banks for just 359 minutes.
All very good points, just missing the connection to Ohio State recruiting??? :rolleyes:

* UConn plays an AAC schedule with 8 games against four teams they beat in 2012 by an average of 27.4 pts/game. They also play 10 games against five teams with a 2012 record of 81-78.
Where I can see our biggest gluttony of point coming from.

Reaction Score
Kelsey Mitchell has a twin Chelsea Mitchell are they a package deal as well,, are all 4 of them considering going to the same school

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Kelsey and Chelsea have decided they will be a package deal. The four of them have considered it but they are not going to based their decisions around that. If they happen to think the same school is what is best for them individually they will go there.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
McGuff seems to be fine coach and he works the AAU scene very well. (Mike Flynn likes him -:)) His success at Xavier was greatly enhanced by the mess at Purdue that ended with Curry leaving, Versyp's hiring and Harris, Philips and Jernigan backing out on commitments to Purdue and signing with Xavier (though Jernigan spent a year at Rutgers). There were rumors that McGuff was about to hire former Purdue asst coach (and daughter of the AAU coach of the 3 aforementioned players) but the NCAA imposed a 3-year show cause on her hiring because of academic fraud issues at Purdue.

I haven't heard that McGuff has hired any assts yet so he may be doing all of the recruiting at this point. With the talent coming out of Ohio every year, OSU should be competing for B1G championships every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom