McEntee Has had his chance-lets give someone else a chance | The Boneyard

McEntee Has had his chance-lets give someone else a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
McEntee has had his chance and he is not getting it done. He gives the other team more points (either through INT's or Fumbles or any other mistake you can think of) then he provide us. I believe our Defense has accounted for more points then our Offense which is unacceptable. Hate to say it, but we are most not likely making a bowl so why not give Nebrich or McCummings a chance and see what they can do cause McEntee isn't going to lead us anywhere. McEntee can't read a defense, can't scan the field-he locks on a reciever and stays locked on him instead of scanning the field and either throws an INT or gets sacked or over/under throws the ball when the receiver is open. Neither Nebrich or McCummings has had a chance to develop any rhythm so why not let one of them play at least a whole half or even a whole game or two and see what they can do, I don't think it can possibly be much worse then McEntee.

McEntee stats should really look like this in reality if you take out plays like the 5 yd pass to Nick Williams where he had a great run after catch and created an extra 59 yds and a TD:

McEntee's Stats should be: 65 for 129 with 800 yds with 10 INTS and 3 TDs

Reaction Score
He threw for 300 yards last week which is the 1st qb to do that at uconn in like 5 years... Yes he still makes mistakes but he is getting better. Today his wrs dropped countless amount of balls. Not to mention the line did a pretty bad job of blocking Irvin and the W. Va defense.

Reaction Score
I think Nebrich will be fine ... and maybe the QB next year. But, for now, McEntee is it.

Reaction Score
Not letting Nebrich play the 4th Qtr tells me that PP was nervous he would look better, and almost gives me more confidence that Nebrich will be our starter within a week or two.

Reaction Score
Yea, give Nebrich a chance. Mac is accurate and has a good arm, but bucks easily under pressure. You need a mobile QB in this league. I dont think Mac will be the man next year anyways.

Reaction Score
"if you take out plays like the 5 yd pass to Nick Williams where he had a great run after catch and created an extra 59 yds and a TD"

What the heck is wrong with you? Do you know absolutely nothing about football? The QB's only job is to get the a catchable ball to his receivers. The receiver's responsibility is to catch it and then get as many yards as they can. Yes, Nick Williams turned into a long play. THAT IS HIS JOB!!! By your logic, Griffin's fumble at the end of the WMU game must be McEntee's fault, too.
Seriously, I realize you are upset we are getting pounded by WVU, but at least make a knowledgeable argument. This loss is all about Holgerson's staff coaching the pants off of PP's staff from halftime on.

Reaction Score
Not letting Nebrich play the 4th Qtr tells me that PP was nervous he would look better, and almost gives me more confidence that Nebrich will be our starter within a week or two.

He was afraid to play Nebrich because he would play better than McEntee?

Reaction Score

Yeah, this sounds silly to me, too. If Nebrich was better of even ready at all, he would be on the field. Simple as that. You guys sound like last year when people wanted Box instead of Frazer. Speaking of Box, where is he now? Oh yeah, not D1.

Reaction Score

I see it as PP thinking that Nebrich would look even worse.

Reaction Score
Nebrich sure has a better composure than McEntee from what I've seen. He doesn't get broken up mentally as easily.

Reaction Score
Nebrich has played what 30 plays and you're taking those 30 plays and saying he is better composed? He also played lesser competition than WVU...

C

Chief00

Time to go in another direction - the game you brag on was a lost at home to a MAC team, the 1st ever at The Rent.

Reaction Score
Not bragging just pointing that out. And also the defense lost that game not Johnny Mac...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nebrich sure has a better composure than McEntee from what I've seen. He doesn't get broken up mentally as easily.

lol. In all of his 20 or so snaps you were able to determine this better than the coaches who see them both everyday for months.

Reaction Score
McEntee is a one-trick pony, and that one trick is zeroing in on whatever the first option is at receiver. If there is no defender within 5 yards of that receiver, there's a chance he will make the throw but there is a just as equal chance he will dramatically overthrow or underthrow that receiver. If it's a 3rd and 7 and that first option at receiver runs a 5 yard pattern, then that throw is only going five yards. If that receiver is covered then McEntee will either force the ball or take a quick sack. There is no scramble ability, there is no ability to check other options. Defense is blitzing? Throw a check-down to the RB running out of the backfield? Nah, take the sack.

We're clearly not USC or Alabama but we're not a joke of a program either. There should not be a walk-on QB starting on this team.

Reaction Score
Good lord give it a rest with nebrich. It's simply not his time. The kid will be good enough and developed in the future to compete, but if you think that there would have been a better outcome, or even just to "get him some time" I just don't see the logic. Get Johnny the exposure and make him stand in there after he gets raped and make him realize that he's still standing. The kid is coming along. I'm confident nebrich will too, but for now I'm sticking with Mac. It's tough to watch but we just watched an "as awesome as advertised" WVU team do exactly what we ALL said they'd do. , every single loss and it's fire this guy, fire that guy, hang the OC... It gets old. You knew we were going to have a down year, friggin welcome to it.

Reaction Score
Are you saying that only joke programs have walk-on qbs starting? Pretty sure we aren't the only one... One that comes to mind is a qb named Matt McGloin from Penn St.. last yr he was a walk on starter for the nittany lions.

Reaction Score
Not bragging just pointing that out. And also the defense lost that game not Johnny Mac...

Ya the defense probably did lose it, but if your QB scores less points than your defense that's not good either.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The "McEntee has had his chance" threads today are inane. I would worry a whole lot more about the O line and the defense. McEntee is one of the few players who looks like he is progressing well. Not to mention that it wasn't exactly Slippery Rock on the other side of the ball today. And I am among those who felt a few games ago that the QB three ring circus should be resolved in McCummings favor.

Reaction Score
I am officially done on this board for a bit. Worthless for me to be taking out my frustration on idiotic arguments. I'm going to go find something worthwhile to do this week.

Reaction Score
Did someone just infer that our football coach did not let a qb play because he thought he would look better than McEntee? Are you kidding me? Too funny.

Reaction Score
Did someone just infer that our football coach did not let a qb play because he thought he would look better than McEntee? Are you kidding me? Too funny.

If you let Nebrich play the last 4 minutes of a blowout, there is a chance that he scores a TD against the 3rd stringers...at which point you have a full blown QB controversy. If PP thought Nebrich was the better QB, of course he would start him. That isn't what I was saying. I'm saying that he doesn't want to give the fans any more reason to clamor against his chosen QB.

I simply can't fathom any other reason that he would leave Mac out there at the end of the 4th quarter, humiliated.

Reaction Score
I wasn't happy with the way the competition played out, but I actually think McEntee is getting better. He gets happy feet a lot less than he did earlier in the year. For the most part he made good decisions on where to throw. Obviously the fumble changed the game, and he should have gotten down, but it wasn't like it was the result of bad pocket presence, or not reading the blitz or anything. He's not good but he's not as bad as he looked early in the year. He's probably our best option at this point, and I wouldn't change QB's now when we can't afford to lose next week if we want any chance of turning this season around.

Nebrich should have definitely gotten some time in garbage time though

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me why we get so excited every week when jmac makes progress? It's one thing if he was a freshmen and would be around 3 more years but since next year is his last I personally would prefer someone else to be making progress. Or at least given a chance to do so. At this point making progress probably doesn't get us to a top 25 ranking or even top half of the big east...

Reaction Score
If you let Nebrich play the last 4 minutes of a blowout, there is a chance that he scores a TD against the 3rd stringers...at which point you have a full blown QB controversy. If PP thought Nebrich was the better QB, of course he would start him. That isn't what I was saying. I'm saying that he doesn't want to give the fans any more reason to clamor against his chosen QB.

I simply can't fathom any other reason that he would leave Mac out there at the end of the 4th quarter, humiliated.

There absolutely is another reason, McEntee is a first year starter and he wanted him to get all the reps he could. I personally wanted to see Nebrich get some reps because it is an away game against a hostile crowd, and it would help his progress.

I think McEntee is the guy without question that gives this team the best chance to win. Now if he completely face plants the next 4 games, and UCONN is out of it, there is no harm at all to play Nebrich quite a bit (unless he doesn't look like he is ready in practice.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom