McEntee Has had his chance-lets give someone else a chance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

McEntee Has had his chance-lets give someone else a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think McEntee is the guy without question that gives this team the best chance to win.

How can you say that about a QB who loses his composure when the defense blows on him, or flat out falls down if they touch him with a feather? Ever see Johnny Mac break a tackle in the backfield? PP should have played Nebrich 2 games ago and the hole this season is becoming is getting deeper.

Reaction Score
If you let Nebrich play the last 4 minutes of a blowout, there is a chance that he scores a TD against the 3rd stringers...at which point you have a full blown QB controversy. If PP thought Nebrich was the better QB, of course he would start him. That isn't what I was saying. I'm saying that he doesn't want to give the fans any more reason to clamor against his chosen QB.

I simply can't fathom any other reason that he would leave Mac out there at the end of the 4th quarter, humiliated.

Sean, this makes much more sense. thanks for clarifying. I think i misunderstood your first post.

Reaction Score
I simply can't fathom any other reason that he would leave Mac out there at the end of the 4th quarter, humiliated.

How many snaps has Johnny Mac gotten in live college football games in his career? If I'm the coach, and I think Mac is the guy, I think every snap he's behind center and getting more experience is making him a better QB. You don't get better on the sidelines.

Reaction Score
This thread is hilarious. I actually think Mac playey prety well. We had recievers that couldnt get free to save their lives and a porous line that let 43 guys through every play. Mac did fine. Why is nobody asking about why the recievers can't get open or why there were always 2-4 guys onMac before he was done dropping back? Johnny isnt a superstar by any means but this whole offesne leaves alot tobe desired. Neither Nebrich or McCummings are going to do any better with that line blocking.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I am officially done on this board for a bit. Worthless for me to be taking out my frustration on idiotic arguments. I'm going to go find something worthwhile to do this week.
This board has a lot of argumentative posters. And it has people who obviously were mistakenly overlooked by JH in the coaching search. But it is definitely far superior to the amount of venom and idiocy that sometimes takes place on the men's bb board when they suffer a loss. Enjoy things for now. When UConn football becomes a top twenty program, the caliber of fan will be more pedantic.

Reaction Score
What makes you think that?

How could anyone see the QB situation at UConn and not think they could improve on it. Heck I'm hoping about 2-3 blue chip HS QBs aren't seeing this and salivating at coming to UConn to fix this train wreck.

Reaction Score
How could anyone see the QB situation at UConn and not think they could improve on it. Heck I'm hoping about 2-3 blue chip HS QBs aren't seeing this and salivating at coming to UConn to fix this train wreck.

From everything seen, Box had slipped to # 4 on the depth chart. He wouldn't be close to starting at this point. Nebrich is next in line with McCummings behind him.

Reaction Score
Again. . . Have you seen how impotent the offense is? How bad are things at this position if Trick Shot is the #1 option. . . Uncontested?

Reaction Score
Again. . . Have you seen how impotent the offense is? How bad are things at this position if Trick Shot is the #1 option. . . Uncontested?

Again . . . and again . . . who said our offense is a juggernaut? I asked what makes you think Box would be the # 1? He was # 4 on the depth chart.

Reaction Score
"if you take out plays like the 5 yd pass to Nick Williams where he had a great run after catch and created an extra 59 yds and a TD"

What the heck is wrong with you? Do you know absolutely nothing about football? The QB's only job is to get the a catchable ball to his receivers. The receiver's responsibility is to catch it and then get as many yards as they can. Yes, Nick Williams turned into a long play. THAT IS HIS JOB!!! By your logic, Griffin's fumble at the end of the WMU game must be McEntee's fault, too.
Seriously, I realize you are upset we are getting pounded by WVU, but at least make a knowledgeable argument. This loss is all about Holgerson's staff coaching the pants off of PP's staff from halftime on.
Not blaiming McEntee for that - just saying he made an easy 5 yd pass any QB (even D3 QB could make). McEntee cannot read a defense - that contributes to the extra pressure he has cause he's not changing the play at the line (cause he can't read a defense). He's terrible PERIOD.

Reaction Score
I hear everyone on here blaiming the line - do you ppl know football? When the QB see's blitz he's supposed to make an adjustment and change the play. McEntee is unable to read a defense - when there is an obvious blitz coming he stays with the original play which makes it look like the lines fault when in fact a lot of the time its the QB's fault for not changing the play.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Not blaiming McEntee for that - just saying he made an easy 5 yd pass any QB (even D3 QB could make). McEntee cannot read a defense - that contributes to the extra pressure he has cause he's not changing the play at the line (cause he can't read a defense). He's terrible PERIOD.

All of this is true, however I am certain that if the other two were capable of better, they would be playing. In the limited action they've had, I've seen McCummings fumble and overthrow a bunch. Nebrich has show to have much happier feet. I think he is still adjusting to the speed at this level. MacEntee is the best we have right now and his play in the last two games is not why we lost.

Reaction Score
I hear everyone on here blaiming the line - do you ppl know football? When the QB see's blitz he's supposed to make an adjustment and change the play. McEntee is unable to read a defense - when there is an obvious blitz coming he stays with the original play which makes it look like the lines fault when in fact a lot of the time its the QB's fault for not changing the play.

Its the way it works. O Linemen get all the blame and none of the glory. A QB and RB need to understand the blocking schemes.

Reaction Score
If you let Nebrich play the last 4 minutes of a blowout, there is a chance that he scores a TD against the 3rd stringers...at which point you have a full blown QB controversy. If PP thought Nebrich was the better QB, of course he would start him. That isn't what I was saying. I'm saying that he doesn't want to give the fans any more reason to clamor against his chosen QB.

I can't see those being his reasons.

1. If Nebrich drives the O down for a TD at garbage time vs. WVU's scrubs, it's hardly a full blown QB controversy.

2. I doubt Coach PP seriously gives a rat's rear to anything the fans want regarding who starts at QB. He's the coach, he knows the players' abilities better than any of us and trusts his own decisions. Whether they turn out to be right or not is another story.

Reaction Score
I hear everyone on here blaiming the line - do you ppl know football?.

Just so we are clued in... How many years and @ what level have you played or coached?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think we should hold every player to the same standard. McEntee was not steller today, but he also didn't give up 400+ yards of passing, so we should bench the whole defense and see what the next group can do.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not letting Nebrich play the 4th Qtr tells me that PP was nervous he would look better, and almost gives me more confidence that Nebrich will be our starter within a week or two.

You are insane. Pasqualoni would start me at QB if it would help the team win.

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
Honestly, did anybody expect us to hang around, even come halftime today? Johnny Mac kept us in the game, in the first half. He just had no time to throw at all in the second half.

Reaction Score
This board has a lot of argumentative posters. And it has people who obviously were mistakenly overlooked by JH in the coaching search. But it is definitely far superior to the amount of venom and idiocy that sometimes takes place on the men's bb board when they suffer a loss. Enjoy things for now. When UConn football becomes a top twenty program, the caliber of fan will be more pedantic.

Well part of the problem has to be that JH didnt do a coaching search, he just hired some firm to do it for him. And we can only hope UConn becomes a top twenty program.

Reaction Score

Then I don't want to hear the typical BS from fans if Trick Shot gets hurt. You know the "What do you expect? UConn's QB is a a True Freshman who hasn't taken more than 20 snaps". Give him the experience in a blow out - game in which the offense couldn't score a TD yet again. What the heck is the problem at UConn in putting offense into its program.

Reaction Score
If we were 2-4 with Nebrich playing 100% of the snaps there would be a thread screaming to play Mac.

Reaction Score
If we were 2-4 with Nebrich playing 100% of the snaps there would be a thread screaming to play Mac.

I believe Mac should remain the starter, but I don't necessarily agree with this (obviously aside from the constant complainers on this board). I said earlier that I would be willing to deal with Nebrich's hiccups (and there would be a ton) because it will give him great experience for next year.

My point now is. McEntee has improved every game. For people to ignore the growth, watch the Vandy game again. He is a junior. If he continues to make progress, why wouldn't we want him to continue to play so he can be that much better next year? It is just odd. And I was calling for him to be benched after the Vandy game.

Reaction Score
I believe Mac should remain the starter, but I don't necessarily agree with this (obviously aside from the constant complainers on this board). I said earlier that I would be willing to deal with Nebrich's hiccups (and there would be a ton) because it will give him great experience for next year.

My point now is. McEntee has improved every game. For people to ignore the growth, watch the Vandy game again. He is a junior. If he continues to make progress, why wouldn't we want him to continue to play so he can be that much better next year? It is just odd. And I was calling for him to be benched after the Vandy game.

Because if he continues to make progress, he might by his senior year, be a capable back up QB at a BCS school. Why put in the time with someone who has little upside. Like playing Beverly at the point 'cause Kemba wasn't ready yet as a freshman, think you have to make a call, try to win games but also go with the talent upside. Maybe a better comprison was last year playing Shabbaz over Beverly and living with his learning lapses so he was ready when tournament time came. It's the coaches job to project out what will make the team better, some lumps with JMac or with Nebrich. They picked JMac, so be it, I don't see the upside. JMac runs like Clausen and misses more than his share of open receivers. We need a playmaker at QB, Nebrich brings that re his mobility. Looks like he has a strong enough arm. 6 games into a 2-4 season and 6 games left. Does it make sense given the current state of the offense to play JMac exclusively through the next 6 games; so we enter next season with one experienced QB, McCummings with his wildcat and Nebrich with his clipboard experience.
To not play Nebrich in the 4th qtr vs. WV was to me, a big mistake. The experience to be gained by a QB with maybe 15 throws would have been a lot more than what JMac got out of those last few plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom