McElwain out @ Florida | Page 3 | The Boneyard

McElwain out @ Florida

Reaction Score
If you look at the Florida and Nebraska jobs they are both similar...specifically fanbase expectations and conference competition ...
Florida v Nebraska? One rather massive difference: in-state and nearby recruiting states. There's obviously more competition for recruits within the Sunshine State and in nearby states versus in the Corn Belt, but advantage Florida.

Reaction Score
Why can't Nebraska be successful in the Big Ten when it was successful in the Big 8? The Big 8 was not in Texas. Just wondering why people keep saying that?

Reaction Score
Florida v Nebraska? One rather massive difference: in-state and nearby recruiting states. There's obviously more competition for recruits within the Sunshine State and in nearby states versus in the Corn Belt, but advantage Florida.
If you go back and re-read my post you will see that I said that about a built in recruiting base at Florida.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Frost has his ticket to Nebraska.

You say so, but quotes like this are telling:

quote:
“I've been recruiting all week,” Frost said last year upon taking his name out of the running at Oregon. “[One day,] I drove to a [nearby] town in Florida, recruited and was back in Orlando that night. [The next day,] I drove to another town in Florida and was back at home that night. That's a lot different than flying all over the country and sleeping in a different state every night.”

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Why can't Nebraska be successful in the Big Ten when it was successful in the Big 8? The Big 8 was not in Texas. Just wondering why people keep saying that?

The Big8 allowed rampant cheating. Nebraska was taking all kinds of kids crom California that wouldn't be able to go there today.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Because the world changed. You don’t have to go to Nebraska to be on TV.

The farms are automated so they aren’t full of yuge families to dig up offensive lines from.

The fanbase lives 30 years in the past and can’t handle reality so who would go there and deal with it?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

They absolutely can be. Some people who are ignorant of what football means at Nebraska may argue otherwise. Frost certainly knows what it takes to win there.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
They absolutely can be. Some people who are ignorant of what football means at Nebraska may argue otherwise. Frost certainly knows what it takes to win there.

It has nothing to do with what football means in Nebraska, and everything to do with where you get talent from.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
He's heading to Arkansas.

Who? There is no chance in hell that Dan Mullen goes to Arkansas. Lashlee? Well yeah, he'd go to any SEC school that offers, but I don't see that happening.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

They have to redefine what success is.

The fan base there gets mad about a 9-3 year in a tough conference. Just ask Solich and Pelini. They think that the Tom Osborne days are coming back. They're not.

Whaler nailed it. You can get yourself on tv at LOTS of places now. The 5-star kids are spread around, and more importantly, the 4-star kids don't have to sit on the bench of the same 8 institutions anymore. They can be the star at previously unthinkable places such as TCU, Boise, Houston, etc.

If I'm a coveted coach with multiple offers, I wouldn't take Nebraska...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with what football means in Nebraska, and everything to do with where you get talent from.

Kids like to play at a school that is passionate about football, in front of sellout crowds and with fans that travel. They can recruit just fine. If recruiting location was everything, McElwain wouldn't be out of a job, and UT wouldn't stink.

Reaction Score
Feel bad for the guy a little... didn't he win 10 games each of the last 2 years then some injuries as well as insubordinates kinda put this team in a tailspin? Every school has down year, accept for Bama and Ohio State.. I'm talking normal down years... 2 or 3 losses in a season for either of those schools is a down year...because nobody recruits like they do (when ALL of their 3rd stringers can start at any other program around America)....

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Kids like to play at a school that is passionate about football, in front of sellout crowds and with fans that travel. They can recruit just fine. If recruiting location was everything, McElwain wouldn't be out of a job, and UT wouldn't stink.

Scout.com has their five year average recruiting ranking at 27th in the nation; below that of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and Michigan State. It has the ranking slightly above Wisconsin's, so if the expectation is to win the West division and then lose in the title game, that's fine.

Rivals.com has their five year average recruiting ranking at 22nd in the nation; below that of Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. Slightly above Michigan State, and further above Wisconsin. Again, similar situation. You're in a 2-team battle in your division and likely a losing battle in the championship game of your conference.

Since joining the B1G, here are their records and finish:

2012 Big Ten Legends 1st 10 4
2013 Big Ten Legends T-2nd 9 4
2014 Big Ten West T-2nd 9 4
2015 Big Ten West 4th 6 7
2016 Big Ten West T-2nd 9 4
2017 Big Ten West 4 4

Again, pretty good records. We'd kill for 9-4 every year. Nebraska thinks that the world is ending, though. Well, they should get used to it, because that's who they are now. (Note: they also had 4 losses per year for four consecutive years prior to what I'm showing, while they were in the Big12).

The Tom Osborne-like 13-0 or 12-1 are possible, but they won't be possible every year and they are less likely than their B1G eastern counterparts. That's just the way it is...

Reaction Score
Since we're probably not going to get him back (and I don't like James Franklin and the SEC), the Huskers can use Joe Moorhead as head coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom