McElwain out @ Florida | Page 2 | The Boneyard

McElwain out @ Florida

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I am not surprised. He was not showing growth. Year 3 coaches in Florida short shouldn’t struggle so bad on offense and have Franks as your best option at qb.

I would think Mullen would be top choice. Frost maybe. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Fire Riley plan gets accelerated at Nebraska so they can block Frost to Florida.

Reaction Score
I am not surprised. He was not showing growth. Year 3 coaches in Florida short shouldn’t struggle so bad on offense and have Franks as your best option at qb.

I would think Mullen would be top choice. Frost maybe. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Fire Riley plan gets accelerated at Nebraska so they can block Frost to Florida.
isn't like half of his team suspended?

Reaction Score
No chance they hire a guy with no HC experience.
Mullen was OC at UF when he got the Miss St job...I think Nos is right here..Lashlee has a really good body of work as OC, and knows the SEC between his playing/coaching tenure at Arkansas and his coaching tenure at Auburn.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Don’t forget that Chip Kelly is still unemployed. Would be an interesting fit in Florida, and you could probably bring him in now if you wanted.

Reaction Score
Not a good year to be searching for a coach.

Just in the sEC, you are looking at:

Florida
Tennessee
Texas A&M
And probably Arkansas
Adding Oregon St and Nebraska to this list those vacancies are actually open along with Florida...one of these schools is going to take a run at Chip Kelly (Show clause and all)...it will be interesting to see what happens to Bielma, Jones and Sumlin that's for sure. Of the 3 Sumlin and Bielma would be interesting candidates for the Nebraska job if they can't bring Frost back.
More on Kelly's Show Clause which was 18 months but expired in late 2014:
Programs may be salivating over Chip Kelly, but there are obstacles to his return

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Don’t forget that Chip Kelly is still unemployed. Would be an interesting fit in Florida, and you could probably bring him in now if you wanted.

I agree and think he is a target, but a guy that is not into the absolute grind that is SEC recruiting isn't going to last too long.

A&M will go after Chad Kelly, Tennessee will probably hire Bobby Petrino, Mullen to Florida, and someone left will go all in after Matt Campbell from Iowa State. Watch out for Mike Leach too.

ETA: I don't know when the show cause is over, but some team is going to knock it out of the park when they hire Jim Tressel.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Sorta OT, but how bat**** are these reports that Tennessee is offering Jon Gruden over $10 mil to be their coach? Who on earth thinks it's a good idea to pay a similar salary to Nick freakin Saban when he hasn't coached at any level in a decade? Not to mention the guy is an absolute nut job

Reaction Score
Why not? Do you think he'll just stay at Mississippi State finishing 3rd or 4th in the SEC every year? He built Urban Meyer's offense at Florida, and is highly regarded there.

He remembers when Florida fans wanted him fired and made a website about getting him fired. He also said he'd never coach there again because of how the fans treated him and his wife.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
He remembers when Florida fans wanted him fired and made a website about getting him fired. He also said he'd never coach there again because of how the fans treated him and his wife.

Meh, a decade and millions of dollars tends to make people forget about that stuff.

That said, seeing a coach fired after going to back to back SEC title games may scare some away.

Also, remember that Florida recently hired Miss State's AD, whom Mullen has a good relationship with.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
isn't like half of his team suspended?

10 guys....2 starters. Doesn’t explain why he couldn’t bring in a decent qb and chased off his best qb option (Grier).

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I agree and think he is a target, but a guy that is not into the absolute grind that is SEC recruiting isn't going to last too long.

A&M will go after Chad Kelly, Tennessee will probably hire Bobby Petrino, Mullen to Florida, and someone left will go all in after Matt Campbell from Iowa State. Watch out for Mike Leach too.

ETA: I don't know when the show cause is over, but some team is going to knock it out of the park when they hire Jim Tressel.

Hmmm...Leach is interesting. I know he used to live in key west, which is still far from Gainesville but it’s closer than Oregon.

Reaction Score
I think the early signing period is going to force schools to makes moves earlier than in the past. Kids can sign on December 20th, so the top schools want to find their coach early and let recruits know a new guy is coming so they keep their school on the kids' list.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nebraska will be lucky if they can get Campbell.

Reaction Score
10 guys....2 starters. Doesn’t explain why he couldn’t bring in a decent qb and chased off his best qb option (Grier).

His hands were sort of tied on Grier when he got suspended for PED's. Having said that, Mcelwain did a pretty poor job and they needed to stop the bleeding before it got worse.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seems to me their realistic wishlist is:

1. Frost
2. Norvelle
3. Brohm
4. Morris

The others are DOA or not coming. A guy like Fuente would just use them for a raise.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Nebraska will be lucky if they can get Campbell.

Campbell can do much better. Nebraska is a has been since they moved to the B1G. Can't go to Cali and get kids like Lwrence Phillips anymore.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
if Bielma and/or Sumlin get fired I can see them being in play for Nebraska job....

Yeah like I said they would be lucky to get Campbell!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Campbell can do much better. Nebraska is a has been since they moved to the B1G. Can't go to Cali and get kids like Lwrence Phillips anymore.

Hence why they would be lucky to get Iowa State’s coach.

Reaction Score
Seems to me their realistic wishlist is:

1. Frost
2. Norvelle
3. Brohm
4. Morris

The others are DOA or not coming. A guy like Fuente would just use them for a raise.
If you look at the Florida and Nebraska jobs they are both similar...specifically fanbase expectations and conference competition (SEC East is to me similar to B1G West in that there is usually 1 strong team to get around) except for one thing...built in recruiting territory. It will be interesting to see what Frost does.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom