McDonalds All Americans | The Boneyard

McDonalds All Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
There was a question in the Tennessee/Texas game thread about McDonald's All Americans.

I was curious so I went back to 2012 and compiled a list of all players in the McDonald's All American Game. 2012 has graduated but there a few that are Redshirt Seniors and it was important to know all that are currently on the roster. A few surprise teams but below is what I came up with as of now. Several schools benefited from transfers. As I was compiling the list there was some obvious omissions but when i went back and double checked they were in fact not McDonald's All Americans. Interesting list.

1. Notre Dame (8) Allen, Turner, Westbeld, Patberg, Ogunbowale, Mabrey, Young, Boley

2. Duke (7) Greenwell, Cooper, Chidom, Brown, Belton, Lambert, Odom

3 (tie) Baylor (6) Jones, Prince, Brown, Mompremier, Cox, Chou
Louisville (6) Moore, Hines-Allen, Fuehring, Durr, Shook, Johnson
Maryland (6) Small, Gillespie, Fraser, Slocum, Watson, Charles
Tennessee (6) Russell, Reynolds, DeShields, Nared, Middleton, Cooper
Texas (6) McCarty, Atkins, White, Hosey, Higgs, Holmes

8. Ohio State (5) Harper, Mavunga, Mitchell, Calhoun, McCoy

9. UCONN (4) Williams, Samuelson, Collier, Dangerfield
UCLA (4) Drummer, Canada, Hearn, Corsaro
Stanford (4) McCall, Johnson, Fingall, Carrington
South Carolina (4) Wilson, Coates, Davis, Cuevas

13. Kentucky (3) Epps, Rice, Murray
Washington (3) Plum, Strother, Collier
Florida State (3) White, Thomas, James

Teams with 2 McDAA:
Vanderbilt
Penn State
California
North Carolina
Southern California

Teams with 1 McDAA:

TCU
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Harvard
Oregon
Georgia
Missouri
Texas Tech
Northwestern
Michigan State
Florida
Rutgers
Kansas
Syracuse
Loyola Marymount

Reaction Score
Good work!

Questions:
How about our two newest redshirts, were they or weren't they?
So last year we had 6?
So next year we'll have how many? (You do have a crystal ball you can use, don't you? Or, you'll have to speculate.) :cool: :eek: :rolleyes:

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Good work!

Questions:
How about our two newest redshirts, were they or weren't they?
So last year we had 6?
So next year we'll have how many? (You do have a crystal ball you can use, don't you? Or, you'll have to speculate.) :cool: :eek: :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Let me see :)

Stevens and Camara were not McDAA.

Yes! 6 last year with Stewie MoJett, Tuck

Next year?!?! I would think Walker for sure but I am not sure about the other 3. You can never tell. I mean should Azura Stevens been an McDAA?? Shatori Walker Kimbrough?? Brionna Jones? Alisha Gray( I think she had a knee injury however)?? Katelyn Flaherty?? I havent yet figured out how they get picked!

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Also an interesting note, Duke is second with 7. Duke also inked 3 other McDAA on the list that transferred.

Sierra Moore-Penn State
Alexis Jones-Baylor
Sierra Calhoun-Ohio State

North Carolina had 3 as well
Diamond DeShields-Tennessee
Stephanie Mavunga-Ohio State
Jessica Washington-Kansas

UCONN had 2 itself

DJB-Penn State
Sadie Edwards-Southern Cal

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There was a question in the Tennessee/Texas game thread about McDonald's All Americans.

I was curious so I went back to 2012 and compiled a list of all players in the McDonald's All American Game. 2012 has graduated but there a few that are Redshirt Seniors and it was important to know all that are currently on the roster. A few surprise teams but below is what I came up with as of now. Several schools benefited from transfers. As I was compiling the list there was some obvious omissions but when i went back and double checked they were in fact not McDonald's All Americans. Interesting list.

1. Notre Dame (8) Allen, Turner, Westbeld, Patberg, Ogunbowale, Mabrey, Young, Boley

2. Duke (7) Greenwell, Cooper, Chidom, Brown, Belton, Lambert, Odom

3 (tie) Baylor (6) Jones, Prince, Brown, Mompremier, Cox, Chou
Louisville (6) Moore, Hines-Allen, Fuehring, Durr, Shook, Johnson
Maryland (6) Small, Gillespie, Fraser, Slocum, Watson, Charles
Tennessee (6) Russell, Reynolds, DeShields, Nared, Middleton, Cooper
Texas (6) McCarty, Atkins, White, Hosey, Higgs, Holmes

8. Ohio State (5) Harper, Mavunga, Mitchell, Calhoun, McCoy

9. UCONN (4) Williams, Samuelson, Collier, Dangerfield
UCLA (4) Drummer, Canada, Hearn, Corsaro
Stanford (4) McCall, Johnson, Fingall, Carrington
South Carolina (4) Wilson, Coates, Davis, Cuevas

13. Kentucky (3) Epps, Rice, Murray
Washington (3) Plum, Strother, Collier
Florida State (3) White, Thomas, James

Teams with 2 McDAA:
Vanderbilt
Penn State
California
North Carolina
Southern California

Teams with 1 McDAA:

TCU
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Harvard
Oregon
Georgia
Missouri
Texas Tech
Northwestern
Michigan State
Florida
Rutgers
Kansas
Syracuse
Loyola Marymount

This HAS to be WRONG! I hear it all the time from other team's fans that the only reason UConn wins is because they get EVERY good player and EVERY player on their roster is a McDAA.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
This HAS to be WRONG! I hear it all the time from other team's fans that the only reason UConn wins is because they get EVERY good player and EVERY player on their roster is a McDAA.

I guess we proved them wrong :cool:

And yes. I too have heard that!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
HuskyFan - wow, great work.

HS AA has always left me a little skeptical - their are 24 of them so it is wider than any other selection for 'AA' at any level, and it always includes some players that are not consensus top 25 in other rankings and excludes others that are consensus top 20.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
HuskyFan - wow, great work.

HS AA has always left me a little skeptical - their are 24 of them so it is wider than any other selection for 'AA' at any level, and it always includes some players that are not consensus top 25 in other rankings and excludes others that are consensus top 20.

Yes, I agree! That's why I couldn't really answer @JavaMan. It's anyone's guess who makes the team.

Megan Walker should but what about the other 3? Lexi Gordon should but AEH and Coombs could as well. We will find out by seasons end!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A few thoughts:

Geno obviously needs to get off his butt and improve his recruiting. ;)

Duke has 7 plus 3 defections. JPM has underachieved to monumental levels.

Kia Nurse, Kitija Laksa from USF, and other foreigners weren't eligible.

Saniya played in the WBCA AA game, but not the McD's game apparently.

Maryland has 6 on the list, but their best players, Brionna Jones and Shatori Walker-Kimbrough, are not on the list. Azura Stevens was not on the list, and people think that she's a strong NPOY candidate. In some cases, the selectors miss players. In other cases, the players are late bloomers.

Thanks, Fan1125, for the nice work!

Reaction Score
Great Thread. Thanks for your efforts.

Brenda sometimes get slammed for not developing players. She should get a big thumbs up for developing SWK and Brionna Jones. (Also Tianna Hawkins who was ranked something like 116 but was a #6 in the WNBA draft).

Also a thumbs up for Kim Mulkey for developing Nina Davis who also was not a McDonalds All American.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Thanks!

Let me see :)

Stevens and Camara were not McDAA.

Yes! 6 last year with Stewie MoJett, Tuck

Next year?!?! I would think Walker for sure but I am not sure about the other 3. You can never tell. I mean should Azura Stevens been an McDAA?? Shatori Walker Kimbrough?? Brionna Jones? Alisha Gray( I think she had a knee injury however)?? Katelyn Flaherty?? I havent yet figured out how they get picked!
Pretty sure this guy picks them

ronaldmcdonaldbasketball.jpg

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I've come to be pretty dismissive of the McD moniker. A lot fall short. Of course coaching plays a major part. What we do know is that it is a relative few who come out of HS/AAU ball really understanding the game.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've come to be pretty dismissive of the McD moniker. A lot fall short. Of course coaching plays a major part. What we do know is that it is a relative few who come out of HS/AAU ball really understanding the game.
One thing that is more abused than the McDonalds AA moniker itself is the McDonalds AA Nominee. If you have a pulse you can get nominated.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well really, they do a decent job. Most of the kids who are McD AA's are usually in the top 20 of the rating services. Sometimes I think they go a little deeper than the top 24 due to positions. They have to make it a game and have pretty much the same number of Guards, Forwards, Posts on each team.

But just like the rating services, that doesn't mean they will be able to make the jump to College BB.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One thing that is more abused than the McDonalds AA moniker itself is the McDonalds AA Nominee. If you have a pulse you can get nominated.
I'm not sure how long the list of nominees is, but it runs in the hundreds, I believe.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

It is an honor to be a MCD Nominee, IMHO.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This is exactly what I hear down at the car wash. Pisses me off.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Except in the US she wouldn't have been an Olympian, and might not have been chosen for an age specific USA team so your premiss is not that sure of a thing.

I don't think the HS AA is all that bad, just that it isn't all that illuminating when talking about 20 year old college talent. All that means is that at 17 a player was deemed to be in the top percentile of her class playing problematic competition with problematic coaching. It is a decent starting point for identifying the relative incoming talent to a college program, but not very definitive, because all bets are off in a much more selective environment with much more balanced competition and talent and coaching. The same situation comes up with the evaluation of college seniors headed to the pros - if you consider round 1 and 2 of the draft to be the equivalent of the 24 HS AAs - 30+ % don't last through training camp, and it probably reaches 60+% that don't last the four year equivalent of a college career.

Evaluation of athletes at any level in any sport relative to a step up in competition level is notoriously difficult. And HS evaluation is so dispersed that it is surprising that it is as good as it generally turns out.

Reaction Score

Nurse was #33 ranked player in her class. She would not have been McDonalds AA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom